Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

:hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Accretionist posted:

I like trees and poo poo. They are good for aesthetics and health. Also, that's some crazy poo poo.

Whoever taught you that animals aren't sentient is a retarded person.

We are peerless in environmental damage.

And the way you're connecting non-sentience to animals, ignorance to superiority and valuation to hierarchy is loving peculiar, man
Sapient != sentient but nobody seems to get this regardless of what the position they're trying to support with lovely arguments is :shrug:

Anyway I'll do you one further:
In the end all life is just chemicals (:weed:) and it's just an accident of evolution that people and everything else currently alive are here. So really, are any arguments about the preservation of either humanity or everything else currently alive possible that aren't either self-serving because we're selected to survive, or based in our vanity/limited perspective? Death is certain.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Making decisions that ensure the end of the lifespan of civilization conflicts with operating a business as a going concern :thunk:

gently caress the planet, duh.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

froglet posted:

https://m.phys.org/news/2018-03-permafrost-methane.html

Compost bomb going off, we're hosed.

I'm just so angry. Ten and twenty years ago I was still in school. I didn't get any say in this.

I remember doing a school project when I was 10 about how we need to move away from coal so we don't kill the planet. When i got distressed about it and told my parents, they pet me on the head and told me it was all going to be okay and we need coal because bullshit grown up reasons.

Well, it's not okay.

Well if the weather gets too hot you just turn on the AC which runs off electricity which is generated from coal, QED :smuggo:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

taking the long view (:smug:), anthropogenic co2 emissions are actually extremely cool and good, because after an initial couple million years of upheaval and mass extinction, we will finally return to the golden era of productive carbonic rainforests full of :krad: ginormous bugs instead of slowly but surely declining towards a world where co2 could become a hard limit on plant growth within a mere several hundred million years

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

kill all humans

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

call to action posted:

You'd only really need enough drag on the economy to create a permanent recession, then couple that with the retirement and student loan crisis plus wide swaths of people's few remaining nest eggs becoming worthless. Fun times!

This calls for renewed public investment to grow the economy faster than climate change eats it up. I'm only half joking.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Nocturtle posted:

Saudi Arabia's average temperature is projected to rise ~4C over the next 40 years. It looks like this moves the average summer temperaturep into (even more) lethal territory. Presumably a good chunk of this 200GW will be directed towards additional air conditioning.

This would actually be quite smart since air conditioning and hot sunny days are correlated, reducing the amount of storage you'd want for your humongous solar farm.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

call to action posted:

Here's just one example of a development bank that thinks there will be 1 billion climate refugees by 2100. Perhaps you can explain how that's going to work, absent the rise of hardcore fascism?

well they'll all get shot at the border but the guards will feel really sorry for them?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Nocturtle posted:

The partisan divide over climate change is growing:

Gallup applies an interesting classification to three different sets of respondents with broadly consistent poll responses: Concerned Believers,Cool Skeptics and Mixed Middle. Unsurprisingly people who believe climate change is real tend to be Democrats, younger or have a college degree:

It's bad that climate change as an issue has turned into a politically partisan issue. On the upside, the climate skeptic party is self-destructing.

on the other upside, even if they weren't self destructing the climate would eventually destroy them anyway :sun:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

ChairMaster posted:

The idea that everyone should live like Americans is straight up farcical in real life. Without clean energy for everyone
but... we have atoms already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

call to action posted:

To the earlier point, it has been gratifying to be banned in this thread, mocked, etc for being sadbrains and then having the science catch up with my pessimism. Predictably, the crowd saying how their kid will solve climate changes disappears at that point.

username/post

Car Hater posted:

Developed nations should skip the wait and povertize themselves. Even without climate change, soil erosion, the draining of the aquifers, etc, we can never build enough nuke plants to get out of the energy trap and maintain growth, so gently caress it. The final score is "Industrial civilization is non-viable, thank you for playing Life."

nah we totally can it's just that it's not currently profitable enough or politically urgent enough to do it over the objections of rich people and idiots and rich idiots :capitalism: