  • Post
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

NewForumSoftware posted:

Hahaha yes let's capture the Co2 into ethanol and then burn it back into the atmosphere in airplanes. I'm pretty sure you're just going to end up heating the earth more with that same co2.

Could we drink it? Ethanol's the potable -ol.

I did some bar napkin calculations. 2014's CO2 emissions would convert to ~1.12 cubic miles of ethanol, or, about 1,235,946,827,918.185 gallons of 200 proof, "liquor."

That's 5 bottles of whiskey per man, woman, and child per day to completely negate global CO2 emissions at the 2014 rate.

Nevermind.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Oof, that's right. I completely forgot about metabolite exhalation, e.g. where burned fat goes (into the air as CO2, mostly).

How could you store a cubic mile of ethanol, anyways?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
How credible is the doomsaying about [Phytoplankton Collapse] → [Literal Human Extinction] by 2100? Reportedly, 5.5C to 8C should be sufficient to produce sufficient ocean acidification and warming to ruin the marine ecosystem component responsible for 2/3 of our oxygen, and new research suggests that GHGs may grow more impactful as the atmosphere warms meaning we could be on track for a mass extinction event around 2100.

And we just elected a denialist.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Funky See Funky Do posted:

On the map there you can see 5 points of light in Australia - those are Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide. Can someone please explain to me the apparently undiscovered civilization in the middle of the Western Australian desert?

Iirc, they rather equalized bright/dim sources (hence Alaska's North Slope and Australia's miscellany).

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
It's a mapping of light sources rather than an actual photo:

quote:

Unlike a camera that captures a picture in one exposure, the day-night band produces an image by repeatedly scanning a scene and resolving it as millions of individual pixels. Then, the day-night band reviews the amount of light in each pixel. If it is very bright, a low-gain mode prevents the pixel from oversaturating. If the pixel is very dark, the signal is amplified.
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/NPP/news/earth-at-night.html

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Tell them global warming will cook the United States and send 50,000,000 Republicans screaming across the border.

It will impel northward population migrations around the world, and I see no reason to exempt Canada.

Edit: There's already talk of California building a pipeline to take Washington's water. When the entire United states needs water, who do you think we'll take it from?

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 22, 2016

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Even if deftly handled, that's a set back.

Another quote:

quote:

Kevin Trenberth, senior scientist at the National Center for Atmospheric Research, said as Nasa provides the scientific community with new instruments and techniques, the elimination of Earth sciences would be “a major setback if not devastating”.

“It could put us back into the ‘dark ages’ of almost the pre-satellite era,” he said. It would be extremely short sighted.

Fuckity gently caress gently caress gently caress.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Who could inherit NASA's work anyways?

Nice piece of fish posted:

Maybe you shouldn't have voted for Trump then.

These are for generating av change revenue, and not for informational purposes.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 23, 2016

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Squalid posted:

I listened to the Cliff Notes version on the Ted radio hour. The idea seems sound, and certainly land management today is real hosed up. Walking through supposedly good grazing land in California or the montane west can be real depressing, because so much of it is so badly damaged, and there seems to be so little done about it. However although I like the concept, the talk set off a few red flags, particularly when he mentions other managers have had trouble replicating his results. I don't know who is wrong and you'd probably have to look at the actual studies in question, but it seems like there's not universal acceptance of his theories.

Also he does mention methane emissions briefly.

Feed the ruminants seaweed:

quote:

Professor of aquaculture at James Cook University in Townsville, Rocky De Nys, has been working with the CSIRO studying the effects seaweed can have on cow's methane production.

They discovered adding a small amount of dried seaweed to a cow's diet can reduce the amount of methane a cow produces by up to 99 per cent.

"We started with 20 species [of seaweed] and we very quickly narrowed that down to one really stand out species of red seaweed," Professor De Nys said.

The species of seaweed is called Asparagopsis taxiformis, and JCU researchers have been actively collecting it off the coast of Queensland.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-19/environmental-concerns-cows-eating-seaweed/7946630

Unfortunately, seaweed farming's difficult to industrialize.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

AceOfFlames posted:

I dont know how anyone can just keep living knowing that this is happening. Careers look useless to me, hope is a lie, I have almost no friends,never had an SO. I am literally hoping my heart stops or something so that my family doesnt destroy itself with grief over my death.I even tried therapy but just keep getting more "things will work out!" bullshit and all the therapists I tried are mothers so I always hold back on telling them how utterly hosed their children are. What do I do?

It'll start getting bad when our generation starts dying. Don't buy a shorefront property and enjoy having been born right at the peak!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

AceOfFlames posted:

So I am just supposed to pretend nothing is happening? Form attachments to people who will die horribly or will have to protect? Make a career knowing that it will all turn to dust? I keep hearing about how you're supposed to love the process of what you do but I only ever manage to care about results. Why make something that will not last? Why strive for a brief moment of happiness if it comes with thousands more moments of pain?

You sound depressed.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

TildeATH posted:

No way. Tech is absolutely riddled with late learning coders making more money than makes any sense in the world.

Source: I'm one of them.

How'd you do it? Like, how'd you prepare and where'd you enter the field? Self-Train & Portfolio followed by web app developer or something?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Article: Bill Gates and investors worth $170 billion are launching a fund to fight climate change through energy innovation

quote:

Bill Gates is leading a more than $1 billion fund focused on fighting climate change by investing in clean energy innovation.

The Microsoft co-founder and his all-star line-up of fellow investors plan to announce tomorrow the Breakthrough Energy Ventures fund, which will begin making investments next year. The BEV fund, which has a 20-year duration, aims to invest in the commercialization of new technologies that reduce greenhouse-gas emissions in areas including electricity generation and storage, transportation, industrial processes, agriculture, and energy-system efficiency.

“Anything that leads to cheap, clean, reliable energy we’re open-minded to,” says Gates, who is serving as chairman of BEV and anticipates being actively involved.

Bill Gates is an exemplary billionaire.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

AceOfFlames posted:

So I ask again, how the hell can anyone do anything knowing this sort of thing and not want to immediately hang themselves? I've gotten to the point where everything sounds pointless and I can't convince my therapist to go beyond "Things will work out!"- Only resort is drugs but if civilization collapses those will go as well. I'm hoping every day that I die in a painless accident.

You have the privilege of liveposting through the fall of Rome.

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure your despair over this is actually from depression.

Like, watch this and see if you get any, "Oooooh, shiiiiiit," moments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOAgplgTxfc

Or just watch it out of general interest. It's very good!

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 19, 2016

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
If any of you are experiencing Climate Change-related suicidal-ideation then you should probably stop following this thread.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
It's less realistic than serial killing.

Edit: Good presentation below!

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 19, 2016

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Nice piece of fish posted:

We're in actual real life likely to cause a runaway warming effect, shutting down the thermohaline cirulation of the oceans, suffer an anoxic ocean event that kills 99.99% of all life on the planet.

Aren't there species of phytoplankton which don't rely on calcium carbonate shells? Those should be fine, right?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's the future, none of it is real yet.

That doesn't excuse posting Climate Change Fan Fiction.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Shibawanko posted:

Random terrified question: is it unthinkable that runaway global warming in fact goes so far off the rails that something might happen like has happened on Venus? Or is that not quite on the menu yet?

I haven't seen anything to indicate this. If you're thinking of the arctic warming, that's in large part due to the polar vortex temporarily shifting into Russia. The Arctic's unseasonably warm and Russia's unseasonably cold but they're Russians so they're fine and that half of it's not news; it'll shift back.

It's still a big deal because it's melting a lot of older, thicker sea ice. There's a lot of thin ice that forms thin melts every year. It's only weakly contributive to what Arctic sea-ice is supposed to be to: mitigating solar-warming of the ocean and contributing to convective currents in the North Atlantic. It takes a long time for the thicker sea-ice to form and we've been seeing less and less of it every year, and this unseasonable warmth dramatically accelerates the trend.

(^^iirc)

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Trillions in costs. That's what some see in inaction. And that's what some see in action, in the form of all that unsold and unburnt coal, oil and natural gas. Trump's tapped a number of the latter.

His admin could easily do worse than nothing.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

This year's going to own

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

call to action posted:

C'monnnnnn optimists! Tell us how we're gonna solve this!

Liberation is inevitable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioFG999aOCs&t=60s

(0:01:00 - 0:02:40)

quote:

Change–and everything is change; nothing can be held on to–to the degree that you go with a stream, you see, you are are still, you are flowing with it. But to the degree you resist the stream, then you notice that the current is rushing past you and fighting you. So swim with it, go with it, and you’re there. You’re at rest. And this is of course particularly true when it comes to those moments when life really seems to be going to take us away, and the stream of change is going to swallow us completely. The moment of death, and we think, ‘Oh-oh, this is it. This is the end.’ And so at death we withdraw, say ‘No, no, no, not that, not yet, please.’

But, actually, the whole problem is that there really is no other problem for human beings, than to go over that waterfall when it comes. Just as you go over any other waterfall, just as you go on from day-to-day, just as you go to sleep at night. Be absolutely willing to die.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
At this point, it seems like we should agitate for Fortress Ameri-Canada.

Sink the boats. Strafe the deserts. Accept no refugees. Export no food.

Preparation > Mitigation

We will be okay.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Arglebargle III posted:

Honestly I have not heard a solution to climate change that is not the liberal internationalist solution that we see failing right now.

Totalitarian asceticism?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
You know, data analysis to that effect would make a good satirical piece.

Another angle might be obesity as both a carbon sink and a means of depopulation. Just have to get fat on carbon-friendly foods, of course.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Do rising sea levels help dilute acidification at all? Maybe we want this, goons

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Hmmm.

400 GtC → 4e+17 grams of carbon --(graphite: 2.266 g/cm3)→ ~1.77e+17 cm3 cubes of graphite → ~5.6 km3 of graphite

That's approximately 70 of these 1.35 km cubes:

http://i.imgur.com/VmpjUPc.mp4

The real question is this: How do we synthesize a 5.6 km* cube of graphite ???

I don't think there's any way back for us.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 1, 2017

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
My understanding is that yes.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
It's my understanding that 2050-ish is when significant disruption will commence. We'll all be dead or dying. It's our kids who are hosed. We're the 'Baby Boomers' of Climate Change. Us lucky ducks got right in before the fall and we have the privilege of watching the Fall of Rome from the comfort of our unsustainable homes.

Do you think they'll come up with a new term for this based around the damage? Right now, it's abstract. 'Climate Change.' The climate is changing. That's the crisis. In the future, the environment will work against where we keep our stuff and how we do our business. A new term about the environmental-civilizational disjunction would be more appropriate when 'climate change' has progressed to a phenomena of pressing and immediate economic damage, cultural damage, political damage, civil unrest, civil wars and interstate warfare.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Ooh, that's true. I was passively taking the perspective of the average resident of a G8 nation.

Off the top of my head, Miami is experiencing significant difficulties. Now, Miami can afford to spend millions raising streets and running enormous sump pumps 24/7 but people in the rest of the world are already suffering increased violence, food/water shortages, dislocation and economic tumult.

Like much of life, it's way less of a problem if you're rich.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Ever read up on the Free State Project? It's a constant push for Libertarians to move to NH so they can reach a critical mass and commandeer the state's politics. Thousands have moved and they've gotten people elected.

I want a left-wing version. Just get everyone in the country who wants state-level UHC, Norwegian-style prisons, etc. to move to one place and get it done.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Article: Climate change is literally turning the Arctic ocean inside out
From: Washington Post
Date: April 6, 2017

quote:

There’s something special — and very counterintuitive — about the Arctic Ocean.

Unlike in the Atlantic or Pacific, where the water gets colder as it gets deeper, the Arctic is upside-down. The water gets warmer as it gets deeper. The reason is that warm, salty Atlantic-originating water that flows into the Arctic from the south is more dense, and so it nestles beneath a colder, fresher surface layer that is often capped by floating sea ice. This state of “stratification” makes the Arctic Ocean unique, and it means that waters don’t simply grow colder as you travel farther north — they also become inverted.

But in a paper in Science released Thursday, a team of Arctic scientists say this fundamental trait is now changing across a major part of the Arctic, in conjunction with a changing climate.

In a large area that they term the eastern Eurasian basin — north of the Laptev and East Siberian seas, which in turn are north of Siberia — the researchers found that warm Atlantic water is increasingly pushing to the surface and melting floating sea ice. This mixing, they say, has not only contributed to thinner ice and more areas of open water that used to be ice covered, but it also is changing the state of Arctic waters in a process the study terms “Atlantification” — and these characteristics could soon spread across more of the Arctic ocean, changing it fundamentally.

The study was led by Igor Polyakov of the University of Alaska at Fairbanks, in collaboration with a team of 15 researchers from the United States, Canada, Russia, Poland, Germany and Norway.

Those changes are occurring across about a quarter of the deep Arctic Ocean (the part that lies out beyond the continental shelves that encircle it).

One key feature of the change is that a middle layer of the ocean in the Arctic dubbed the “halocline” — a cold layer below the fresher surface where the water’s saltiness increases rapidly — is thinning and weakening. The halocline had previously served as a cap, preventing mixing between the cold fresh surface waters and warmer, saltier Atlantic waters — in essence preserving the distinct layers in the ocean. But that cap is now growing thinner, the research suggests.

The result is that at least half of the sea ice decline in recent years in this region can be attributed to warm ocean waters climbing up from the depths, rather than to the warming atmosphere.
←:alarm:

“This whole thing about the ocean’s role in sea ice retreat, it used to be minimal, but as sea ice retreats it’s one of those positive feedback mechanisms,” Carmack said. “And we’re talking a lot of heat in the Atlantic layer, it could melt all the ice in the Arctic if it were to pop up to the surface.”

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

I should start growing and burying bamboo.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Any conference talk recommendations about strategy and planning around the implications of climate change, especially worst-case outcomes?

Talks about Iceland looking to capitalize on Arctic shipping, geostrategic implications of global food/water shortages, etc.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I'm looking forward to this year's minimum.

Climate Change: The Greatest Show on Earth

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Half that article's bold worthy.

I liked this bit:

quote:

“The next black swan is the failure of housing finance to take climate change into account,” he said. “There will be a large number of homes that will lose substantial value, and will default on mortgages, if nothing is done to help them.”

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I wonder how much Florida real estate could by hurt internet propaganda? Probably a lot of people who'd like to know that house they're eyeing will be underwater by 2060

Edit:

The article addressed this:

quote:

Russo says if she knew in 2015 what she knows now, she wouldn’t have purchased the house. People buying in her neighborhood today are probably just as clueless as she once was, she guesses. “I would bet money that the realtors are not telling them.”

Realtors in Florida face no legal requirement to warn potential buyers about those flood risks. Albert Slap, president of Coastal Risk Consulting, which helps homeowners and governments measure their exposure to flooding, said he thinks that will soon change: Just as the public demanded mandatory disclosure of asbestos and lead paint, people will insist on the same disclosure if a house suffers regular floods.

And when that happens, Slap said, many Florida home prices will tumble.

Internet bullshit's easier than legislation. And if you get the ball rolling on Facebook, the politics get easier.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 21, 2017

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Rime posted:

loving LOL if you think a few thousand people marching along a predetermined route vetted by the local municipality and police forces is ever going to invoke meaningful change in modern society. Go ask a Venezuelan how weeks of mass peaceful demonstration is working out for them, when they are actually starving as their country collapses around them.

The idea that protest marches accomplish anything, beyond instilling a false sense of accomplishment in attendees, is the best lie ever sold to the kind of people who might otherwise invoke actual change. It's has no more impact than changing your facebook picture in TYOOL 2017, indeed it hasn't amounted to jack poo poo ever since that long past era in which the ruling class had some legitimate fear that the rabble might storm the gates and guillotine them if they did not submit to the mobs demands.

You want to change something? Form a deep underground cell, publicize your agenda, start dragging the most powerful climate change deniers into the street and loving shoot them. Nobody is ever going to take such a step in the west, pleased as we are with the relative comfort of our lives aside from a slow steady decline in living standards and placated by all our readily accessible entertainment, so you can expect to watch the world burn while squabbling over what somebody else should do to fix things.

Have fun walking for a sense of moral superiority, it has nothing to do with "science". :airquote:

Marches are good for recruitment, agitation, organization building and so on

Did someone argue that marches are, "one weird trick to create Utopia (oligarchs hate it!)," or something?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Low-impact activity can help develop and mask high-impact activity. Additionally, it impacts culture and perceptions.

It's useful in relation to a wide range of assumed climate change outcomes.

Don't hate, peace

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I'll give that a try.

We are all connected with nature. We are a part of it and it is a part of us.

But Republicans are like, "Mmm, I am connected to my things and my money. My money is a part of me, mmmm."

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4