Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

While you guys were going around in circles again the Heritage Foundation budget blueprint for the Trump administration got out. All the EPA departments concerning climate change are supposed to be eliminated, along with the DoE's energy efficiency and renewables departments.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/314991-trump-team-prepares-dramatic-cuts

We covered that yesterday. We've upped our standards -- up yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

OhYeah posted:

"will likely increase"
"will lead to"

Why are you trying to frame predictions for the future as evidence for processes that are supposedly already occurring?

It's still up on their website, which means the information is still valid and stands correct today. The information on the second link has been revised in 2018.

Do you anything to add to the actual discussion or are you just butthurt that your doomsday bubble has been burst?

I like posts like this because I just imagine this guy remembering that he thought this, fifty years from now.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Did anybody ever figure out WTF is going on with bees?

And if it turned out to be actually true that our RF-soaked atmosphere confuses their navigation then frankly I just give up because that is ridiculous.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Arctic permafrost thawing decades ahead of schedule, check. Arctic permanent sea-ice breaks for the first time, check.

May I expect another catastrophic result sometime soon?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Shifty Nipples posted:

It is vindication that we are not doomsayers or fear mongers, sure it is stupid to be like "told you so" but oh well I guess.

And it's also vindication for those researchers who have been saying the sky is falling for a long time now, because in fact the sky is actually falling. That should ideally encourage the complacent to take scientific consensus more seriously than they have in the past, but I'm pretty doubtful that it will actually do so.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

qkkl posted:

Water will land on the ground and take some heat from the ground. When the water evaporates the vapor rises into the upper atmosphere. In the upper atmosphere the surface area of the vapor increases because the decreased pressure causes the vapor gas to expand. With this increased surface area the amount of heat the vapor loses via thermal radiation increases, with about half of that radiation being lost to outer space. Therefore rain cools the Earth by moving heat energy from the solid Earth into the upper atmosphere where it can more easily radiate into outer space.

That's not how anything works.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

qkkl posted:

If the amount of heat radiated into outer space by the water vapor exceeds the amount it blocks from below then there will still be a cooling effect. More water vapor in the air also means more clouds, which reflect solar radiation.

That's still not how anything works.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

To stay under +2? Yeah, that ship has sailed. I'm pretty sure if we zeroed global carbon usage tomorrow, +2 would happen anyway and maybe even +3.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

About the Global Warming Policy Foundation:

The Global Warming Policy Foundation is an all-party and non-party think tank and a registered educational charity which, while openminded on the contested science of global warming, is deeply concerned about the costs and other implications of many of the policies currently being advocated.
Our main focus is to analyse global warming policies and their economic and other implications. Our aim is to provide the most robust and reliable economic analysis and advice. Above all we seek to inform the media, politicians and the public, in a newsworthy way, on the subject in general and on the misinformation to which they are all too frequently being subjected at the present time.

The key to the success of the GWPF is the trust and credibility that we have earned in the eyes of a growing number of policy makers, journalists and the interested public. The GWPF is funded overwhelmingly by voluntary donations from a number of private individuals and charitable trusts. In order to make clear its complete independence, it does not accept gifts from either energy companies or anyone with a significant interest in an energy company.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Trabisnikof posted:

If a "scientist" said all that, I'd ask them what field they were in and not be shocked at all when they say physics.

You mean "engineering". As a physicist, I can assure you my solution assumes a perfectly spherical and frictionless Earth and first-order perturbations at most, thereby making it a useless solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Geoengineering is an intractable problem; we're not capable of modeling nearly well enough to predict the effects, much less control the outcome. That sentence will probably remain true until mid-century, which is obviously even more "too late" than it is now.