Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013
The dozens of bright yellow trucks you saw from your eyrie rumbling with their loads across the valley floor take on vast proportions. Every one of this monstrous insect army is the size of a family home.

But even these behemoths are dwarfed by the queen that squats at the heart of the operation. She is a true titan, a giant crane whose gaping jaws take great bites from the 20 metre high wall of coal before spewing it into the waiting trucks.

And the numbers are as large as the machines. India plans to open a mine like this every single month until 2020 as part of its strategy to double coal output to a billion tonnes a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Verge posted:

Don't be so mopey! All-electric vehicles are being taken seriously whereas 10 years ago they weren't even seen as a realistic idea for anyone but a child. Provided the tech works with single passenger vehicles, I'll be getting one as my next vehicle! Harley loving Davidson is working on an electric motorcycle!

-hugs-

Buddy, the green movement is winning. We've always been winning. The only issue is that it's a race against the clock. Whether we win before time runs out is indeed a question but it's no absolute at this time.

You are very clearly not a member of the green movement and, given your posts in this thread, you clearly know next to nothing about climate change. I have nothing more to add; your posts just annoy me greatly.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Arkane posted:

Nothing in the agreement is binding, and the pledge to reduce emissions is impossible without new technologies.

We don't have much of a clue what level of emissions would keep temperatures 2C below pre-industrial...could be as high as 1200ppm if climate sensitivity is 1C per doubling.

GIven that the temperature has already increased by 1C with less than a doubling of CO2, and that the temperature increase would continue even if we were to stop emitting CO2 today, we can be pretty sure that it does not take one doubling to increase the temperature by 1C.

The necessary reduction in emissions is not "impossible without new technologies" in any sense whatsoever; what you mean is that our infinite-growth capitalism would require sequestration technologies to outpace our emissions. We don't need new technology, we need a different economic system.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Arkane posted:

This is misleading. Much of that 1C increase you cite is prior to 1940, and likely had very little correlation with human activity/CO2.

This is why the problem is usually described along the lines of.... "It is likely that most of the warming in recent decades can be attributed to human activities." Note: "most" and "recent decades."

Let's pick a date to refute a claim.
Which shall we choose?
1930, which is on the trend line?
1950, which is on the trend line?
No, why not 1940, which sits at the apex of an excursion from the trend and validates my position?

Something in the region of 10-15% of anthropogenic CO2 emissions were produced prior to 1940; that 10-15% had a greater effect on climate than the next equal quantity of CO2 that we output will.

quote:

We know mathematically that a doubling of CO2, all other factors aside, leads to a 1C increase. There are likely to be feedbacks on top of that which increase the number to above 1C per doubling, but there's wide disagreement on what the number is (from the low 1s to above 2).

Please explain to me the mathemagical link between arbritarily-sized degrees Celcius and CO2 doubling.
If you actually meant that we can observe that a doubling of CO2 leads to a 1C increase in global temperature, then you're just repeating what I already said, albeit that it has taken less than a doubling for that 1C.

quote:

Let me clarify: it is impossible without new technology in every scenario except the one where world economies are dismantled and humanity is immediately thrust into deep poverty. You are right...in that scenario of human misery, emissions will fall dramatically.

Rich people (that's us) use multiple times more energy than they require to not be in "deep poverty" or "human misery", while people already in poverty are not the ones who are being asked to reduce their consumption, and they could multiply their consumption if that's what's needed to bring them out of poverty. Reducing rich countries' consumption to a level that is both sustainable and comfortable will certainly destroy the economy that caused climate change, but it will not thrust anyone into "deep poverty"; there is not only a single possible economic system.

Placid Marmot fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 14, 2015

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

Why would global climate change end currency in such a way that you can't transfer your wealth later?

If the Republicans get too upset about something before the next time Obama has to request a debt ceiling hike, then investments in dollars could become close to worthless on very the same day. Think about the proportion of US retirement funds that is invested overseas and what would happen to their value if the dollar plunges. And any time in the next 40-50 years (assuming that people reading this are aged 20-40) that a major depression and/or high inflation occurs, investments like pensions are liable to evaporate and leave you/us/him/her high and dry.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

SKELETONS posted:

Perhaps take steps to deal with mental health issues first, since nothing you do as an individual will have any impact on ACC but you can have a very strong impact on your health and well being by looking after your mental health.

Ah, I see. No individual can have an impact on climate change so nobody should attempt to reduce their impact on the climate. Makes sense. What good/bad can 7,400,000,000 individuals do anyway?

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

As for not suicidal well, I just remind myself that we still might gently caress off to space soon.

Nobody is going to be living in space in our lifetimes, not even billionaires. Even if a tiny number of people were to live in space, this would not benefit everyone else, so there's no reason to be happy/not suicidal when considering this subject.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

Reproduction as a civil right? My understanding is that civil rights do not provide for any right you can think of, but rather very specifically equality in the law. Apply a two-child law across the board, and what do you violate?

This is beyond the practical implementation or even support of such a policy, ie "get the government out of my (Religion asserting reproductive rights here) household."

http://www.un.org/en/universal-declaration-human-rights/index.html
Article 16

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Batham posted:

Your contribution is noted, unfortunately you most likely live in the part of the world where not having children would have any meaningful impact.

Everyone on this forum is in a part of the world where having children has the worst effect on climate and resource depletion.
[I'm assuming that nobody is posting from rural Africa or a third world slum]

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

computer parts posted:

Someone using absolute numbers ITT.

Newsflash:
Slaves are PEOPLE.
More PEOPLE are in slavery than ever before. What does it matter to those HUMAN BEINGS if a smaller percentage of the world population is enslaved?
"Good news Slave! A lower fraction of the world's population is in bonded labor than ten years ago! Now get back to work or I'll beat you!"

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

How are u posted:

I was really hoping to get the chance to dive the Great Barrier Reef some day.

Welp.

How ironic.
Someone whose flights to and from the Great Barrier Reef will generate close to the annual CO2 emissions of the average world citizen is sad that CO2 emissions are causing the destruction of the Great Barrier Reef.
And I see that you're popping down to Brazil this year too. Be sure to check out the rainforest before it's burned down to grow food to feed the cows that go into your Taco Bell burritos.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Isaac0105 posted:

If only we had gotten our electric planes online, so we could have flown them over our organic monoculture rainforests, and eaten our Taco Bell soybean tofu burritos. If only, then the barrier reef might still be alright. ;-;

Or, we could not hypocritically fly halfway around the world.

Banana Man posted:

Are you stalking him to determine how much co he is responsible for

I just entered flights to Australia into an emissions calculator and looked up the average person's CO2 emissions, if you want to call that stalking.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Are you arguing with me using a cartoon, when I complain that the person who (in this very thread) has said

How are u posted:

Probably best not to think about it too much or you will get very depressed.
I've been on the fence about having children for a while now and wasn't planning on having any for 5 or 6 years anyway, but if the science that papers such as the above purport turn out to be true then I just don't think I'll ever be able to justify doing it.

How are u posted:

hosed, we're all hosed. Don't have children.

How are u posted:

I was really hoping to get the chance to dive the Great Barrier Reef some day.
Welp.

yet continues to fly around the world? I'm talking about aproximately the worst thing that an average person can do, not "using a phone", "wearing clothes" or "having a tent".

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Mozi posted:

Were you angry at Al Gore for flying on planes?

Al Gore is one of the few people who can validly claim that their high-carbon lifestyle is more than compensated for by the influence that they have on other people.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Banana Man posted:

I meant more along the lines of the Brazil thing.

Please don't co shame

I just looked at the summary quotes from pertinent-sounding threads in the first few pages of his post history - I can find some more examples if you'd like.

[Not really - do it yourself]

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Paradoxish posted:

To be entirely fair, any kind of individual sacrifice in the face of climate change is basically just self-flagellation anyway. You can't make a difference by not flying places, because the plane is still going whether you buy that ticket or not. Any individual purchasing decisions you make (or don't make) are too small to matter. Your purchasing decisions won't influence enough people around you for it to be meaningful.

Thinking that you can actually make a difference outside of actual advocacy work and/or supporting groups that do advocacy work is just another way of saying that we can consume our way out of this problem. It's pretty silly to complain about someone being a hypocrite if they aren't, like, chartering private flights or running around all weekend on their yacht.

No, this is incorrect. If individuals opt not to fly or to eat meat or whatever, then demand is reduced and the service or product will be less profitable; YOUR single influence, as one person, is negligible, but the behavior of a population that is made of individuals does influence outcomes. If you hadn't noticed, all of the individuals in the world make up such a population, so the decisions of individuals in the world do have a cumulative effect on outcomes.
If everyone were to listen to your advice that "you can't make a difference by not X", then we would see an even worse level of excessive consumption than we already have. By saying that an individual can have no effect, you are pushing responsibility for that individual's polluting onto other people.
Not flying (for example) will not reduce the level of CO2 and other pollutants in the atmosphere, but it will prevent the release of pollutants that the average Westerner would produce in your place. It is certainly hypocritical to bemoan the effects of CO2 while being in the top few percent of the world's producers of CO2 because of your decisions.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Cranappleberry posted:

I'm sorry you're mad about that guy but you could stop using heat and electricity because of the CO2 released from your personal use. Otherwise you're a hypocrite for calling that guy out but not making small sacrifices that will one day change nothing.

"Using heat and electricity" at the rate necessary to sustain healthy life is not optional, and using heat and electricity to bring a moderate degree of comfort actually is negligible compared to flying. Flying across the world is optional, decadent, and grotesquely damaging to the environment both of today and that of future generations.

Paradoxish posted:

You're missing my point by a pretty wide margin.

You, as an individual living in a first world nation, likely have almost no personal responsibility for climate change. It doesn't matter what your carbon footprint is or how often you take part in high emissions activities like air travel. Your actual, real contribution to climate change is effectively nil, and the amount you can feasibly reduce that is even less. Take driving, for example. If you go out and buy a more fuel efficient car, you've reduced your carbon footprint. That's fine, whatever. You know what's infinitely better? Regulations requiring that cars meet certain fuel efficiency standards so that all new cars are more efficient. You know what's even better than that? Massively expanded public transport so that fewer people need to drive. Your individual contribution is meaningless in the face of the kind of sweeping changes that actually need to be made.

"You, as an individual living in a first world nation", have a very high impact on and responsibility for climate change, particulary if you partake in more than average high-emission activities, for the reasons that I gave above. Do you not appreciate that if you reject one individual's contribution to climate change then you must reject every individual's contribution? (that means EVERYONE)
Regulatory change and improved public transport and so on affect 7.3 billion individuals; for each individual, the change from deciding to fly to deciding not to fly would be greater than the per capita effect of an improvement that promoted change from driving to using public tranport (for example) - flying is just so catastrophically polluting. (And can't you see that your examples of "regulatory change" and "expanded public transport" have beneficial effects [or less-damaging effects] on a per capita basis? An individual choosing to use public transport is the same as it being mandated, and increased voluntary public transport use induces investment in public transport, just like opting out of flying reduces provision of flights)
Fortunately, only the richest people in the world can afford to fly - if as many people regularly flew as regularly drive or ride a scooter/motorbike, then we would be in a substantially worse state than we already are.

Ed: missed a word

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Cranappleberry posted:

Sounds like your comfort as a first worlder is more important than the environment.

You're mad and berating someone for not 100% living up to words they said on the internet as if it were some sort of contract. I guess what I'm trying to say here is, you're Arkane levels of dumb.

I produce less CO2e than the average person in the world, let alone the average first-worlder, thanks to rejecting first-world comforts such as heating in my room, animal products, driving/motorbike/scooter, flying (obviously), and non-local produce.

I'm berating someone for being hypocritical to a high degree, not because they said they would give up smoking for Lent but broke after a week.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Cranappleberry posted:

Never you mind that his individual C02 output, high or low, is so negligible that if 100,000 people adopted his lifestyle it wouldn't defray the emissions from, much less the environmental impact of, a single petrochemical plant.

This is not to say don't be environmentally conscious, but if you seriously believe your individual carbon footprint matters, then you are as delusional as climate change deniers.

How can you (and the others taking your position on this) be so ignorant and pig-headed?
How many people does "a single petrochemical plant" serve with its products, and what is the amount of carbon that is attributable to each person for what they take from that plant?
If you would stop and think for a moment (make sure your mommy takes a video of this moment, to preserve the memory of your first time), you would see that this superficially "undefrayable" petrochemical plant does not exist in isolation, but serves the demands of, oh, in the order of 100,000 INDIVIDUALS. If individuals reduce their use of petrochemicals, then petrochemicals plants get SHUT DOWN.
This doesn't happen in practice, because global demand is increasing, but this is because of people flying MORE and consuming more, rather than the suggested "flying less" and "not driving an SUV".
If you say "well, MY effect on the atmosphere is negligible", you are pushing the responsibility for your selfishness onto other people. Either you grant everyone freedom from responsibility and have nowhere to lay the blame for climate change, or you grow up and accept that it's YOUR fault that <bad thing> is occurring when YOU are one of the leading contributors to it.

People crying about my pertinent and accurate response to a specific accusation about my CO2e production posted:

Waah wahh. I have no actual rebuttal.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013
Despite our universal agreement that:
*Climate change is real
*It is caused by anthropogenic emissions
*Emissions must be reduced
it seems that most people in this discussion will not accept responsibility for their own pollution. Some people are suggesting that legislation and government action are the answer [they are part of the answer], but if you're happy for your emissions and those of others to be forcibly curtailed by legislation and government action, what's the problem with accepting your responsibilities and cutting your emissions without the government forcing you to?

(it's selfishness)

How are u posted:

Go gently caress yourself, I'm not going to stop travelling because you want me to live in a tent and eat only veggies I grow in my garden. I'm not having a child, which basically offsets every single other thing I do in my life that contributes to carbon emissions. I also work in climate advocacy, putting pressure on states and the fed to improve every measure to combat increased climate change. I'm in the clear, gently caress you.

e: jesus I went back and ready all of your subsequent replies and you sound like a quite the insufferable little poo poo.

You work in climate advocacy yet you still fly around the world and think that not having a child offsets your own emissions* - yeah, that's hypocrisy and ignorance all smashed together. You must feel dizzy from the cognitive dissonance.

*So we don't need to have this argument again, the decision to have a child results in a massive increase in the emissions that you are responsible for, while the decision to not have a child is carbon neutral.

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Or prices go down and usage increases to compensate.

The changing parameter is the reduction of flying - if individuals fly less, then usage cannot increase.

Salt Fish posted:

I feel like this is a bad faith argument because you can clearly tell from his/her posts that they are not going to be procreating anytime soon.

When I split up with my last girlfriend, one of the reasons was her insistence on having children. No, I am not going to be procreating anytime soon.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

Marmot, you are writing in a way that comes off intentionally combative and makes you sound like an rear end.

This is the "What can be done" thread, whose OP states that we should "point the new discussion more towards solutions and action", yet the vocal concensus seems to be that we should consume as much as we feel like because it doesn't matter - someone else will deal with it, that reduced consumption does not result in reduced production, and that buying a product that already exists has no environmental impact as it has already been manufactured.
Influencing individuals to reduce their consumption, at least of the worst sources of pollution, must be a major part of the solution, as no government is ever going to ban or even significantly restrict flying, animal products, driving [outside of anti-smog measures], or consumption of other high carbon intensity products, which make up the bulk of non-essential sources of CO2e. Saying "don't worry, it's not your responsibility" is idiotic - consumers are the drivers of climate change.

Given that this is probably the thread with the highest proportion of ACC believers in the forums, but that these people appear not to actually want to change their own damaging behavior, I propose that we change the thread title to:

"Climate Change thread: tl; dr - We are so screwed"

Oh... wait...

Dubstep Jesus posted:

e: this derail over an offhand comment about hoping to dive the coral reefs is so loving stupid. The whole point of that comment was that we've hosed up badly enough that the OP won't even be able to do that in a few years. The only emissions created as a result of that comment will be from your moronic meltdown.

This "offhand comment about hoping to dive the coral reefs" is specifically prohibited in the OP. Had it been a less thoughtless, selfish and hypocritical comment, I would not have responded.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

Are we still talking about Climate Change? Because AB32 and the Clean Power Plan are the most anyone has done for climate thus far. Especially compared to Europe.

If we're talking about impact scale, south east Asia and South America will be far more negatively impacted by Climate Change than North America will.

CO2 emissions (MT):
US - 4472
EU - 4266

US - 5561
EU - 3420

The US sure has done so much for the climate thus far. Especially compared to Europe.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

Good job comparing meaningless numbers!

(Also you probably wanted to use CO2 equiv anyway)

The emissions are reduced not because of policy, but because of economic downturn.

The Clean Power Plan and the CAFE standards are huge policy shifts compared to the EU's efforts. Likewise, AB32 is a far better cap-and-trade system than the EU ETS, to the point where the EU is a joke while AB32 is a model for new regulation.

Not to say these plans don't have flaws, but this idea that America is forsaken is just ignorant of the level of global inaction.

Ah, yes. I too recall that 2009 economic downturn that affected the EU but not the US.

In reality, as we see, the emissions gap has only increased over time. Using CO2e emissions (since you mention CO2e specifically), the gap is increasing even faster because of US fracking.
The drop in US emissions from 2008 is due to primarily economic factors, while the drop in EU emissions from the early 80s to 2008 is substantially due to policy.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

Really now? Please tell me all about these EU climate polices from the 80s that caused the emission decline. (Hint: 2005 is after the 1980s)

Or maybe instead it was economic factors, the fall of the soviet union, the shifting of high intensity industries out of the EU zone etc. After failing to meet their Kyoto commitments I don't know why you're white knighting the EU regulators so hard.

Yes, you're correct that US emissions have increased as US energy sources have been brought in-country. I'm sure the methane leakage numbers on Russian gas and oil supplied to EU nations are completely accurate. Thankfully for the US, we can and have implemented stricter emissions regulations* and that's something EU regulators can't do to Russian producers.

*Effective Jan 2015, so effectiveness data is still in the academic pipeline, but this EPA is serious about climate so I'm hopeful.

"80s" was actually a typo in place of "90s" - we can see from the chart that I posted that EU emissions did not fall during the 80s - but at the same time, I didn't claim that there were EU climate policies from the 80s; EU member states have their own climate policies and were early signitories of Kyoto, collectively greatly surpassing the Kyoto target, contrary to your strange claim.
"The European Union has succeeded in cutting its greenhouse gas emissions 18% since 1990, new reports from the European Commission and European Environment Agency show. The EU has also over-achieved its reduction commitment under the first period of the Kyoto Protocol by a wide margin."
http://ec.europa.eu/clima/news/articles/news_2013100901_en.htm

I still don't understand how you can claim that "AB32 and the Clean Power Plan are the most anyone has done for climate thus far. Especially compared to Europe." when the Clean Power Plan has been suspended and AB32 is a state level law that aims to achieve by 2020 what the entire EU surpassed a decade ago.

Arkane posted:

I didn't mean it would accelerate, I meant that the year on year effect, over the long run, could mitigate significant amounts of atmospheric CO2. Obviously as plant life expands, carbon intake increases. So along with carbon sinking into the oceans, this is another naturally-occurring valve by which carbon is being drained from the atmosphere.

Climate models are predicated on extremely large increases in CO2 levels, so even small changes year on year would have a profound impact on models projecting the carbon imbalance in, say, the year 2100.

This increase in leaf area was between 1982 and 2015; can you point out on this chart where this increase in leaf area has mitigated "significant amounts of atmospheric CO2"?

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Arkane posted:

What I said was over the next few decades, these sinks could reduce the increases. Because atmospheric co2 projections rely on compounding emissions growth, small changes to the year on year multiplier can have large impacts at the end point. For instance (these numbers are purely illustrative), if you start with 3ppm and compound it by 2% annually, you end up with 1050ppm in 2100. If you compound it annually by 1.5%, you end up with about 900ppm. A minuscule year on year change has a rather large impact over a long enough period of time.

The leaves ARE the sinks and they already exist and have done nothing to reduce the rate of CO2 increase, which that chart shows has accelerated over the pertinent time period. Even if you claim that this increase in leaf area delayed 400ppm by a few months (quite possible), the amount of extra leaves that the planet can accomodate is limited by numerous factors (already mentioned, above) and thus the rate of additional leaves per year must decrease over time, which is the opposite of what would be required if they were even a significant carbon sink in the first place.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Rime posted:

I experienced 50 degrees Celsius last year in southeastern Turkey. It's hard to put that kind of heat into words: the air hurts to breathe, it's hard to stay conscious in the shade, entering the sun for just a minute is like stepping into the flame of a BBQ. You can't even swim in rivers, because the water acts as a magnifying glass and cooks you. By 8am it was over 30 degrees, and it was still over 22 at midnight.
I saw grass spontaneously combust twice in the same day. Maybe there was glass or something nearby to cause it, but it just went poof. I drank 8L of water and was still dehydrated.

WaryWarren posted:

I was in Turkey/Armenia/Georgia last August. When we landed in Yerevan, it was 48 degrees. Unfuckingreal. The entire meteorological summer (June - August) last year was absolutely ridiculous in northern Italy. Every day had a maximum temperature between 37 to 41 degrees C, while it cooled off to 30 by dawn.

We've got some crazy exaggeration/lying going on here - the all-time heat record for the entire of Turkey is 48.8C, which was 20 years ago (and lol at river water magnifying the heat and twice witnessing self-combusting grass), the all-time record for Yerevan is 42.0C, and I'd be interested to hear which part of northern Italy had a daily "maximum temperature between 37 to 41".

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Rime posted:

Weather stations present an aggregate measurement across large regions which does not account for localized outliers. The thermometers I observed in Hasenkeyf read 50-51 degrees while I was there.

Each reporting station produces its own data. The thermometers that you observed (now they've increased to 51 degrees!) were not inside standardized Stevenson-screened boxes (unless you were finding weather stations and cracking them open!), so their measurements will always be higher than the true shade temperature.
The highest temperature in Hasenkeyf last year was 44C on the 30th of July...
http://m.accuweather.com/en/tr/hasankeyf/320662/month/320662?monyr=7/01/2015
...in line with this claim that "highest average temperature varies between 40 – 43° C"
http://www.posetitursku.com/eng/2009/05/hasankeyf-batman/

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

blowfish posted:

ITT we discover: it's hotter in the sun than in the shade :pseudo:

There's still a difference between being in shadow and in a standardized weather station box; an area of shade by a tarmac road is going to be hotter than a correctly positioned weather station, and it's the weather station's measurement that counts.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Mozi posted:

So it was hotter than 44C, then - his original point being that he knew what 50C felt like, which is valid even if he was in a slightly hotter place than the official reading.

If you're going to claim that "you know what 50C feels like" on this basis, then about 99% of people have felt such a thing, as the temperature over a tarmac or concrete surface in the sun in summer is higher than this almost anywhere in the world. This is the reason that shade temperature in a standardized box is the measure for meterological temperature. He was exaggerating or lying in order to brag and/or using inconsistent measures, and we don't need to continue this discussion any further.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

VectorSigma posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly constitutes a "climate-related death," given that any acute atmospheric effect capable of causing an immediately quantifiable harm is by definition weather.

Various sources suggest very large mortality, both already and increasingly in the future, due to various climate-related causes, which include climate-change-exacerbated weather events, malnutrition (from reduced crop yields), malaria (from improved conditions over a wider area for mosquitos), diarrhoea (related to flooding), and of course directly temperature-related deaths such as heat stoke. One estimate puts the current figure for climate-change-related deaths at 400,000 per year, increasing to 600,000 per year by 2030, for example.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs266/en/
https://newrepublic.com/article/121032/map-climate-change-kills-more-people-worldwide-terrorism
https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_157592.html

And a rebuttal to a rebuttal about climate-related deaths:
http://www.carbonbrief.org/factcheck-the-times-claims-climate-related-deaths-estimate-is-exaggerated

Edit: If the actual current and recent number of "climate-related deaths" is 300,000 per year or higher, that will put the 30-year average from jrodefeld's chart above that of the entire antibiotics age, the start of which being where the line on his chart plunges (not by coincidence).

Placid Marmot fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 17, 2016

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Arkane posted:

How cloud cover will change in a warming climate remains one of the biggest unknowns in modeling future temperature changes...it is (was) assumed to have a slightly positive feedback, which is to say changes in cloud cover were going to amplify warming.

New research out of CERN points to it being a negative feedback that will slow the warming: http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/05/earth-s-climate-may-not-warm-quickly-expected-suggest-new-cloud-studies

That is good news. Also goes hand-in-hand with what I posted a couple weeks back about the Earth getting greener.

I hate to have to reply to you, but it has already been pointed out (without response from you [that's a good thing, btw]) that the increase in leaves has accompanied an accelerating level of CO2, so "the Earth getting greener" is at best indifferent or irrelevant news.

Similarly, increasing historical cloud cover (as opposed to the prehistory assumptions discussed in that paper) has accompanied increasing temperatures. We know that increasing cloud cover increases temperature today, and that increasing temperatures increase cloud cover today. The paper says that "climate modelers can't assume that the ancient past was much less cloudy" - they don't need to do that, since it was much less cloudy a century ago and we can see how CO2, SO2 and other particulates have affected the climate since then.
The article says "the current best estimates of future temperature rises are still feasible, but 'the highest values become improbable' ", not that temperatures will not continue to rise or that the effects will not be catastrophic. Note that the global temperature anomaly is currently in the upper range of the IPCC's worse case projections from the 2013 report.
There is no good news.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Arkane posted:

The takeaway from this post is that the Earth is getting greener faster than we expected. And with the Earth greening faster than we expected, this sequesters more carbon than we expected and specifically relating to what I just posted...creates more aerosols than we expected, which will seed more clouds than we expected. Because, interestingly, the areas where we are seeing the most greening will create the most aerosols (boreal forests with pine trees).

You don't need to link your post since I specifically referenced it and mentioned that it was irrelevant, since atmospheric the CO2 increase accelerated both during the studied timeframe and subsequently.

quote:

It is DEFINITELY false that "we know that increasing cloud cover increases temperature today." It's also not as simple as that, since there are different types of clouds that have different effects on either inbound or outbound radiation.

Yeah, we know that the types of cloud that block more incoming than outgoing energy are the types that are decreasing with increasing sea surface temperature, as stated in the link I gave.

quote:

We have a lot of clues about what may happen with clouds in a warming world, but nothing close to definitive. In fact, your first link says pretty much exactly what I said lol: "Currently the role that water vapor and clouds play in warming or cooling the Earth's climate system is being investigated by scientists." Clouds are a big unknown. If you don't trust your own NOAA link, here is a link where alarmist SkS also says the exact same thing I said in their first graf: http://www.skepticalscience.com/clouds-negative-feedback-intermediate.htm

"Being investigated" does not mean that we don't already have a good understanding of what effects the different cloud types have. The link you give specifically states, at the top of the page, "Although the cloud feedback is one of the largest remaining uncertainties in climate science, evidence is building that the net cloud feedback is likely positive, and unlikely to be strongly negative."

quote:

Maybe El Nino has spiked us up above the models, I haven't seen a model/observation comparison in a few months, but we're in a huge outlier year temperature-wise and we have otherwise been significantly below the models.

As far as "there is no good news"...well, if you don't know much about the topic, as it appears, then yeah I could see why you only see the bad news you specifically look for.

Do you think that modelers don't know about the existence of El Niño? The 2013 IPCC report prominently features the Smith et al. 2012 forecast that shows this year's spike as approximately its upper bound.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013
I just looked at the old thread (so you don't have to) and I found some gems.

Arkane Dec 18 2012 posted:

On a 30 year scale, we're rising at a decadal rate of ~.13C

Arkane Jan 29 2013 posted:

If the very recent trends (10 years of little warming, ~35 years of .17/decade C) relative to modeled predictions are indicative of future warmth, we are certainly severely exaggerating the risk.

Arkane May 11 2013 posted:

As of April 2013, temperatures have been flat for well over a decade, with a longer-term trend around .15 C per decade. That is not an inaccurate or misleading statement

Arkane June 11 2014 posted:

Yeah the longer-term trend is around .14C per decade of increases, no doubt.

Edit: To clarify, I superimposed the blue chart on Arkane's original chart here, in case the notes don't make that clear:

Arkane posted:

Something like permafrost is more of a buzzword than a worry.

Arkane posted:

You cannot just assume the status quo when our technological horizons are being expanded at an incredibly rapid pace. There are decades before any of these adverse effects will take hold, if they ever do. The world will be UNRECOGNIZABLY and UNFATHOMABLY more advanced and better equipped to deal with problems that may arise.

Arkane posted:

If I had to guess, the Earth will be approximately .4 degrees warmer, and the sea levels will be 3.5 inches higher than today in 2040. Virtually indiscernible changes by the time we become a multi-planet species.

Arkane posted:

If its a provable, we're ~25 years from fusion energy becoming commonplace.

And there are loads of examples where he has subsequently been proved wrong, where better data or analysis have come in.

A summary of his beliefs, as you can see from the above, would be that all models that account for positive feedbacks are are wrong (possible negative feedbacks like the two he brought up recently are legit, though), there will be no negative effects from climate change, and that technology will save us in any event.

Placid Marmot fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 26, 2016

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Arkane posted:

Alright let's slow this down: you're saying that something that was expected to happen (CO2 accelerating) makes something that was not expected to happen (Earth greening very quickly) irrelevant? Makes no sense. I mean, NCC thought it was important enough to publish, which isn't a complete validation, but it gives you at least a higher benchmark to dismiss it than that nonsense.

It's evidently irrelevant since the extra leaves have had no impact on CO2, which was the entire supposedly positive thing about the extra leaves.

quote:

Isolating one study and calling it evidence when you have countervailing data is a joke.

Isolating one study and calling it evidence when you have countervailing data? Who would periodically drop into this thread and do such a thing?

quote:

If we hit cool phase ENSO in 2018 and we're back below the MoE for the models, are you going to be in here posting about it? Not exactly intellectually honest taking a victory lap for the models in a year where ENSO has given an adrenaline shot to temperature.

Is it physically possible for the Earth to shed enough energy for the termperature to fall back that far in 2 years? Are you banking on another Pinatubo?

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Arkane posted:

Looks like you got some work to do on your 37 month smoothing at the end points bruh.

The left end is cut off and the right end obviously isn't smoothed because we can't see 37 months of future data.

Edit: that should be 18 months of future data, actually, since it takes 18 before and 18 after the last month on the moving average line to make a 37 month average.

Same edit:
For my own amusement, I made a smoothed line from 37 months down to 1 in even increments, using all available data (the thin red line). If the line is smoothed to a 19 month average or lower, it's above the green line, and at 4 months and lower it's above the thick red line. This is not very scientific - there should be increasing error bars toward the right, and probably you shouldn't smooth down to one month anyway, perhaps.

Placid Marmot fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 26, 2016

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

ChairMaster posted:

Yea, that sounds like something the developed world would do.

The Paris agreement designated funds for sustainable development for poor countries, so if everyone sticks to the deal, then many poorer countries might be able to skip the worst polluting phases of energy development.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

JohnnySavs posted:

We only need a 3.67 million of the as-yet-unbuilt scaled-up plants to cancel out human-caused CO2 emissions!

Without actually running the figures, I wonder if these plants can even break even on CO2, with the 25 tonnes of water per tonne of sequestered CO2 that's needed - seawater has not been tested yet, so whether "free" seawater can be used is unknown - and this is without even mentioning the cost of separating CO2 from air and transporting it, drilling boreholes, and the pumping. Those "3.67 million" hypothetically-scaled-up plants might need to be 100 million in reality (if they even break even on CO2, that is).

Trabisnikof posted:

The paper on the co2 bacteria is finally published and Ars has a write up. Unsurprisingly it isn't as fawning as the embargo-breaking blog post, but still very interesting and cool:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/06/mixed-catalyst-bacterial-system-gives-photosynthesis-a-run-for-its-money/

"More efficient than photosynthesis" is cool, but once you have your carbon in bacterial form, it still has to go somewhere - you can't just dump the bacteria in the sea or down a hole, as they will be consumed by other organisms and turn back into CO2 or methane. If the biomass is or will be converted to biofuel, then CO2 is still not coming out of the air.
[not attacking you here btw]

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Time for someone to learn about the foooooood chaaaaaaiiinnn.

What food chain? The island's underwater - it's just a raft of toxic blue-green algae clinging onto the rotting trunks of sunken palm trees now. Perhaps it's simpler that way.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

pidan posted:

It's been warmer than current temperature +6° in relatively recent earth history, so I don't think the ecosystem is going to shut down completely. And certainly not within the next century.

Sure, nothing can be done to avoid catastrophic climate change at this point, but plenty can be done to make it less bad than it could be (by reducing emissions) and to adapt to what is unavoidable.

The temperature has not changed by +6° at the rate that it is currently changing, which is the problem. Previously, a change of +/-6° occurred over thousands of years, and there was time for natural selection to produce organisms (phytoplankton in this case) that were better able to tolerate warmer water. This change is or may be occuring over a century, rather than thousands of years, which may not be enough time for sufficiently adapted plankton to arise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013
Probably over 90% of all phosphorus ever mined is already in the oceans, and there's none spare to add to that. If all that phosphorus didn't make algae/plankton grow more, then no extra is likely to help.