Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Rime posted:

I experienced 50 degrees Celsius last year in southeastern Turkey. It's hard to put that kind of heat into words: the air hurts to breathe, it's hard to stay conscious in the shade, entering the sun for just a minute is like stepping into the flame of a BBQ. You can't even swim in rivers, because the water acts as a magnifying glass and cooks you. By 8am it was over 30 degrees, and it was still over 22 at midnight.

I saw grass spontaneously combust twice in the same day. Maybe there was glass or something nearby to cause it, but it just went poof. I drank 8L of water and was still dehydrated.

You can't comprehend that suffering until you've felt it. Civilization won't survive that if it spreads.

I was in Turkey/Armenia/Georgia last August. When we landed in Yerevan, it was 48 degrees. Unfuckingreal. The entire meteorological summer (June - August) last year was absolutely ridiculous in northern Italy. Every day had a maximum temperature between 37 to 41 degrees C, while it cooled off to 30 by dawn. My unair-conditioned apartment was generally 32 degrees when I came home from work each day. This is with the shutters shut during the heat of the day and opened again at night. No breeze, except for the odd thunderstorm that would temporarily produce one. Italy is only going to get hotter as well. There was a ridge of high pressure over northern Africa which was mainlining Saharan heat directly into southern France, Italy, Croatia, etc. My Italian friends told me that they can now grow apples and grapes at elevations that have never been used for agriculture before. Sicily is in big trouble, since it is so reliant on agriculture and the rest of Italy on agriturismo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I lived in the apple producing capital of Europe (Bolzano IT). A couple of the researchers I worked with told me how climate change had already resulted in apple orchards being located at altitudes that have never produced apples in all of agricultural history.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
goddamn, i say. it went up over the weekend but plunged again in the past three days.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I apologize for posting that with no context. It was posted by a meteorologist that is a member of the American Weather forums. I am a novice at best and defer to their knowledge, especially when they preface an image like that with a "Holy poo poo".

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

syscall girl posted:

It was written by a Canadian and mostly set in middle America.

he was born in south carolina to american parents and raised in rural virginia. :911:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
two months

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
also, water expands once when it gets heated to 4C.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
That's weather, not climate! :colbert:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Oh look, another Rime post.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

hopefully we'll get a category 6 monster tornado rip through the heartland pretty soon. that'll show them.

don't know if that will work. there was a monster tornado in joplin in 2011. it was blamed on not praying enough/not following the Cardinals close enough/millenials. :bahgawd:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Sir, this is a Starbucks.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
The largest negative anomaly globally is centered on Palinaska. That's an lol.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Good.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
:laffo:

quote:

Icebergs to be towed from Antarctica to United Arab Emirates for drinking water
The United Arab Emirates is planning to tow icebergs from Antarctica to its coast to solve its issues with drinking water. The National Advisor Bureau Limited company plans to provide a new source of freshwater for the region by towing the iceberg from Antarctica to the coast of the eastern emirate of Fujairah.

The Masdar city-based company then plans to mine the iceberg for drinking water. An average iceberg contains more than 20 billion gallons of water, or enough for one million people over five years, Abdullah Mohammad Sulaiman Al Shehi, the company's managing director, told Gulf News.

He said the iceberg could create micro-climates in the region and bring rain to the arid landscape. Icebergs typically take a long time to melt, as around 80 per cent of their overall mass usually remains underwater, while the exposed white ice above reflects sunlight and thus heat, reducing the amount of water that evaporates.

Mr Al Shehi said his company's simulations predict it will take up to one year to tow an iceberg to the UAE and said the project will start in early 2018.
He also said the sight of icebergs floating along the coast could become another tourist attraction.

Once the iceberg is offshore, Mr Al Shehi said the company's water processing operation will begin. Blocks will be chipped off the iceberg above the waterline and then crushed into water, before being stored in large tanks and filtered through a water processing plant.

"This is the purest water in the world," he said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnBArsrwnuE

quote:

Launch of "Filling the Empty Quarter" Environmental Initiative
2. Proposal to mine water from south-pole ice bergs which are already disintegrateing due to global warming; the ice bergs, once melted, will not only add to the rising sea level problem but billions of liters of much-needed fresh water will be lost to the sea.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

call to action posted:

Gay marriage doesn't threaten anyone in power or their money.

Also, embracing cultural issues help to rationalize major issues that effect most everyone, like income inequality, by never or shying away from addressing it.

Ferdinand Bardamu fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 31, 2017

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Mustached Demon posted:

Bunch of boomers might die?

:gizz:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Good times.

As Beijing Joins Climate Fight, Chinese Companies Build Coal Plants

quote:

These Chinese corporations are building or planning to build more than 700 new coal plants at home and around the world, some in countries that today burn little or no coal, according to tallies compiled by Urgewald, an environmental group based in Berlin. Many of the plants are in China, but by capacity, roughly a fifth of these new coal power stations are in other countries.

Over all, 1,600 coal plants are planned or under construction in 62 countries, according to Urgewald’s tally, which uses data from the Global Coal Plant Tracker portal. The new plants would expand the world’s coal-fired power capacity by 43 percent.

The fleet of new coal plants would make it virtually impossible to meet the goals set in the Paris climate accord, which aims to keep the increase in global temperatures from preindustrial levels below 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Commit arson in forests with peaty soils, like in Indonesia.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

call to action posted:

It's cool when assholes that live in a city assume that the only reason you'd want to live outside of one is racism (especially when you consider the new trend of minorities only being able to afford suburban/exurban living due to gentrification of major urban cores)

Yep. All while living in their white ethnostates, like Wrigleyville.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
It's weird, most vegetarians/vegans I've known in my life are chubby/fat. Myself, I've been on the keto diet for awhile and don't weigh much more than I did in high school. I rarely eat beef or pork, generally eat fish or chicken (which has the same CO2 equivalent as tomatoes/potatoes per calorie) for protein.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

God drat, this is almost, almost, as depressing as the usual climate change related articles posted here. I 'dunked' on a few Dotards in my local paper's comment section when they stated that "we" should be more concerned with "our own people" in Texas and Florida first before we recognize the Puerto Ricans. I just... :(

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

RobotDogPolice posted:

Imagine being a kid in the future when crops are failing and millions of people are dying because of climate change, knowing that you're hosed because mom and dad put more faith in Tomi Lahren than actual scientists.

lol a 25 year old with a communications degree from the illustrious UNLV helps shape the discourse in this country. at least she's purdy.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yellowstone will replenish America's farmlands.

:getin:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
A planet where the only life that is found is in cockroaches and jellyfish. :getin:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

the sooner we all die, the better

hth

Sorta makes getting all bent out of a shape because a sportsball player takes a knee during the national anthem seem pointless!

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

call to action posted:

What y'all heard about that mantle plume heating up the Antarctic

It isn't heating up the Antarctic

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I, for one, am fully engorged.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

good. that's a start.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
my local paper posted that coral reef story. one of the always angry right-wingers stated that "... and elsewhere, coral reefs are forming in brilliant colors because the zooxanthellae occasionally migrate and abandon the corals they live with, causing the corals to lose their color. What you’re not being told is that warm ocean currents do not swirl along the same path forever. Ocean reefs transform as part of how the earth works since the earth was formed."

lol

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
goddamnit

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
:gizz:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)