Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I give it three seconds before right wingers turn that into "the (((UN))) wants to murder all capitalists".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

Not megacities. Megacities as they exist now are terrible because it's unmanaged urban sprawl turned upwards.

All you actually need, in terms of physical space to comfortably house the entire human population, is a bunch of Parises.

Paris is incredibly space and resource efficient for its population, and it's got nothing to do with skyscrapers or whatever. It's just that most of the city's housing is 6-story buildings and there's very few individual separated homes. That's it. There's still plenty of luxury and budget accommodations everywhere and literally over half the city's land is public parkland.

Edit: 3,300 Parises would be enough for the entire planet's current population.

Edit edit: That's 136,000 square miles, or about the size of Utah and Colorado put together. And that's including more than half of that area being open parkland.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 5, 2018

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Time to start buying future tropical beachfront property in Canada and Norway.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Libluini posted:

True that, hopefully we can invest enough in developing AI to make our Lord (or Lady, I'm not choosy) a reality. SkyNet mowing down dumbass humans everywhere couldn't make things worse, anyhow.

I call this plan the Cynicism Singularity Plan or CSP for short.

What do you do when it turns out the AI overlord loves rolling coal, though?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Grouchio posted:

The AI Overlord would not roll coal because even now it's cost-efficiency is beginning to be overshadowed by renewable energy. Thus it would love to roll solar. :v:

You seem to have this weird assumption that AIs must be logical.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

StabbinHobo posted:

i'm kindof amazed we don't have more robotic solar farm stuff going yet

like instead of making panels they should just make giant rolls that farming machinery can layout dozens of acres a day of

"why has nobody implemented this thing I just thought of that I decided should obviously be easy after giving it ten seconds' thought"

Literally nobody has mastered durable flexible electronics yet despite it being what literally every phone company in the world is working.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

SlimGoodbody posted:

Is anyone else wistfully hopeful that stellarators, AI, and quantum computing will actually drop by their proposed 2030 schedules and help usher in a sea change as radical as the Industrial Revolution? Unlimited free sustainable energy and the ability to do sickeningly complicated simulations could really make a difference.

Real AI would be p. cool, but on the other hand, paperclips.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Lackmaster posted:

Seriously, everyone should read this. It’s amazing.

I'd still rather have nerds thinking about dumb pie-in-the-sky poo poo that could save the planet as opposed to dumb pie-in-the-sky poo poo like space elevators that exclusively fulfills nerd dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Some good news, I guess?

quote:

The Supreme Court rejected the Trump administration's request Friday to stop a lawsuit brought by youths who are seeking to hold the government accountable for failing to do enough to fight climate change.