Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Are deforestation rates at least going down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Rime posted:

No, they've picked up something fierce. Asia-Pacific is one big ball of "burn all the loving trees to the ground. ALL THE TREES. BURN THEM."
I am now imagining paratrooper Ents kicking all kinds of lumberjack rear end.......FOR THE TREES!!!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

JohnnySavs posted:

An ice-free arctic summer by 2020 seems a likelihood at this point.
Wouldn't that cause a greenhouse effect on the north pole, creating massively hosed up weather patterns and extreme seasons for the rest of the century? Like the east coast getting 10 inches of rain each season?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

That fucker will be making up whatever numbers he wants as the world burns around him. He's also the favorite go to for all my conservative friends.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2016/03/07/lamar_smith_broadens_his_attacks_on_noaa_scientists.html

gently caress you Lamar Smith.
Wasn't this the same cocksucker who introduced SOPA? He truly needs to go.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So there's literally no good news to be had anymore? Isn't the US making progress in cutting carbon emissions, for example? And the rise of electric cars?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Holy loving poo poo. Its going to take centuries naturally for those reefs to make a comeback, and/or decades through artificial key island style reefs. And where the hell is all that plastic in the water coming from? So much for good news. :negative:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

unlawfulsoup posted:

Honestly at this point it feels like the only way we could hope to avert some REALLY nasty stuff down the pipe would be a WW2 style mobilization to decarbonize, and it would have to essentially become a worldwide effort as well. Kevin Anderson has some good research and his lectures are interesting. The scales involved here is truly frightening. It is a drat shame that action wasn't taken when we could have actual made gradual reductions as opposed to being in a situation where no one wants to hold the bag.

Also, as cynical as I am, even the rich may not escape what is coming. When you are talking about large scale destabilization and survival, people are not just going to sit outside of your walled cities starving.

So what would be a good way for an aspiring political analyst to weather this future storm?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Since the media tends to focus coverage on climate skeptics and deniers far more than the scientific community, what can stop them from doing so? Why do these deniers have so much power over the US sheeple?

And is it mainly old media that perpetuates this? Hopefully fewer people are falling for this bullshit.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

blowfish posted:

Partially, but another part is that media have largely turned towards a mealy mouthed fair-and-balanced style of reporting, which (except in the case of blatant political drum-beating like with Fox News) boils down to taking a story, looking for two sides on it, and giving both sides the same air time or article space, without any critical evaluation of claims besides quoting both sides saying the other side is poo poo.
Which translates into less people than necessary believing that climate change is serious/a thing because...?

I've been reading Naomi Klein for class lately.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Our lack of restrictions on Freedom of the Press (like the ones Canada or the UK has) is seriously going to be the end of US someday.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Rime posted:

The poo poo is this? If you know nothing about history, why are you spitballing about events in complete ignorance? "Not much changed for people", are you crazy?

The fall of the USSR was loving horrific, not just in Russia but in all of the eastern bloc states as well. It lead to twenty years of civil wars and genocides. Millions of people starved, or were murdered when their neighbours decided to dredge up a pre-soviet blood feud. Half a continent went from a very high standard of living and technology on par with the west, to (using an example from Vanadzor in Armenia) using advanced crystal-growth boxes to cultivate potatoes to survive.

The Soviet farming system ceased to exist during privatization. Farmers one week were begging on the streets homeless the next, their career sold to gangster who liquidated the assets for scrap.

Like, holy loving poo poo, I know westerners are ignorant when it comes to all things Soviet, but to say that implosion was just a "changing of flags" for the people living there is beyond idiotic. :psyduck:
The attitude that puppies rained upon the former Soviet Union once it collapsed appears to be the main perspective the west must've taken. Which appears to be true because it just fooled me.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wish to make a thread that analyses where and when climate change affects the world over via regional ecological crises.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

khwarezm posted:

Lets perk things up with a story of a large energy company taking the farsighted, responsible appr... wait, whoops:
EU dropped climate policies after BP threat of oil industry 'exodus'.
How impactful would a Brexit be again?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I am currently attending a climate conference at my campus with Angus King, and I was wondering what sort of good questions could I ask?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Should I ask for Angus King's opinion on Naomi Klein's arguments?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Friendly Humour posted:

Absolutely not!
......Why?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I didn't manage to ask Angus King anything. :negative:

He did say though that republicans were beginning to shift their approach towards acknowledging the existence of climate change, that a global emissions tax is realistically impossible, and other things similar to Naomi Klein's views on capitalism vs climate change. No mention of nuclear anywhere.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Ah, there's that Middle Eastern death spiral I was mentioning a few months ago. Because that'll be happening.

How many hundreds of millions will we be forced to bar from asylum/let die in the 2050s just in order to keep feeding ourselves in this Malthusian catastrophe?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Middle East is literally toast, let's move on and discuss how much of a migrant crisis that will cause.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Are there any good resources or papers regarding hypothetical Malthusian and climate-change related migrant crises mid-century that would dwarf the current ones and (possibly) bring forth first-world societal collapse? Can these fears be alleviated or solved somehow?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Would it be possible to take a third option and combine the two options into something more flexible without being too unrealistic?

Either way excellent paper.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Fasdar posted:

I'll drink some more wine later and post again, then, if people are digging it. Especially since, oddly enough, I actually do think there is some hope to be found when looking at the social side of things.
The globalization of the world economy is bound to become discredited as conservative bile sooner or later after all...

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

You may be confusing resource exploitation, consumerism or something else for globalism.
That is probably what I meant.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So as a follow-up to Syria, what parts of the world do you guys think are next to have a similar ecological/social crisis in the near future? Potential hot-spots that could spark the next great wave of migrants? Are any third-world countries bound to adapt and improve better than others, or are they equally screwed? Which countries are bound to be really screwed?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Shell just spilled 90,000 gallons of oil in the Gulf of Mexico today.

Here we loving go again.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Oh. And deepwater was....210 million gallons.

Yeah I didn't read this right.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Kudaros posted:

Those are both good suggestions. The environmental and green also has some odd conflation about it too though, with a common emphasis (this is all anecdotal, I admit) on being anti-nuclear. I actually heard a guy a few years ago calling himself an environmental policy adviser. He worked with Mitch McConnell IIRC and was a coal guy.
So his job basically constituted of telling his boss to ignore all that environmental activism in favor of advising more parasitic coal extraction policies whenever said boss would hear of climate change rallies on a daily basis, right?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Are there any good sources on climate change in relation to the middle east around?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's really the big difference between your bog standard doomsday prophet and climate science. The doomsday prophet will typically pick a specific day. Climate science is saying "yeah uh we're going to have some problems. Not sure when, not sure how big, but bad poo poo is coming."

They aren't focusing on what will happen but rather on what can't happen. At this point what they're saying is "we can't keep doing things the way we're doing them now in the long term." The thing that can't happen is global temperatures staying where they were and that is exactly the problem. They aren't entirely sure how bad things will get beyond "poo poo's gonna get worse." How worse? Nobody can say for certain; too much is in the air right now.
You know, if I had read something like this, actually listened to this and somehow managed to turn off the perseverate-thought-loop in my head back in 2012, I might not have had to suffer said paranoia loop/continuous panic attack for 30 days straight (or have to recover from such self-inflicted trauma for many months).

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

blowfish posted:

Climate change should be a thing you worry about, but if you are literally scared shitless and become nonfunctional over it, you should get professional help. Not in the "lol u dumb" shitposting sense, but in the actual medical sense.
No no no, not that. The doomsayers coming of the Mayan apocalypse horseshit cycled through my mind 24/7 for 4 weeks straight because 1) It's what my brain does and 2) I didn't know if such a nonsensical, improbable apocalypse could occur on 12/21 because for whatever reason I'd be forced to think it might happen anyways. And then when that passed I still couldn't stop thinking that the moment I relaxed (for sleep or during normal times) I would die - for about 5 months after that.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

TildeATH posted:

Any good research papers on the role of climate change in recent conflict in the Middle East and North Africa?
I was wondering this, but for research articles, documents, sources regarding not just climate change but other factors that could shape the rest of the 21st century for the Middle East.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Could we begin seeing acts of environmental terrorism against fossil fuel companies, projects, and magnates? Or is this just fantasy?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wakko posted:

Which is more likely for you personally: 1) Starting a suicidal campaign of violence against the most powerful organizations on this planet or 2) Continuing to post on an internet forum? Not saying that everybody in developed countries is just like you, but we have a really good system for keeping the population docile and entertained.
It was a hypothetical question; would environmentalists in our country become motivated to act in such extreme measures?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Hollismason posted:

Anti-natalism works from a philosophical standpoint that we may destroy all life on the planet and it would be better if some species survived over the human race.

Basically the viewpoint that the human race is not special and all life on the planet has more worth than humanities.
gently caress PETA seriously.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is Trump planning to purge the states of Climate Change researchers?

http://www.commondreams.org/newswire/2016/12/09/trump-administration-planning-climate-purge

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 10, 2016

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Now, how good is the opposition towards the dismantling of national parks and the like by the Trump Administration? Good enough to block legislature?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

enraged_camel posted:

but... but... free market...
And this is why I support the complete collapse of the EU. :kheldragar:

If we can't save everyone, we can at least save ourselves and those close to us.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

'Dodgy' greenhouse gas data threatens Paris accord

quote:

Potent, climate-warming gases are being emitted into the atmosphere but are not being recorded in official inventories, a BBC investigation has found.
Air monitors in Switzerland have detected large quantities of one gas coming from a location in Italy.
However, the Italian submission to the UN records just a tiny amount of the substance being emitted.
Levels of some emissions from India and China are so uncertain that experts say their records are plus or minus 100%.
These flaws posed a bigger threat to the Paris climate agreement than US President Donald Trump's intention to withdraw, researchers told BBC Radio 4's Counting Carbon programme.

Also when can we expect the next refugee crisis after Syria, and from where?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

got any sevens posted:

If he disbelieves in climate change so much just burn his house down and tell him its a temporary heatwave
But then you'd get imprisoned and indicted for arson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Trump says Climate Change is a Manmade Disaster.

....SORRY!?

Nail Rat posted:

I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied - learn to swim.
Flushing out Florida and LA like a colon. :yeah: