Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
I, err, have a question. Now, I don't come to challenge global warming or any of OP's premises but to genuinely ask why we give a poo poo about CO2. I know why we care about CO and other pollutants but CO2 is rather common - who gives a poo poo? Plant moar trees. I'm sure I'm missing something here. I'm not making an argument, I'm expressing ignorance on the CO2 as a threat subject.

Liberal_L33t posted:

Veganism isn't necessary, which is good, because large portions of the world would probably rather die than embrace it. Also animal byproducts are of vital importance to other industries. If the cost of traditional sources of meat is pushed high enough and more efficient sources of animal protein fill in the gaps (crickets, krill, etc.) the damaging impact of the current meat industry can be attenuated without undue disruption to other industries that depend on it. People will like burgers made of processed cricket meat just fine once they get used to them. Soy also makes for good substitutes but shouldn't be overused due to the danger of causing allergies.

In any case, I can understand geoengineering being scary and it should be practiced as cautiously as possible. But the alternative - that is, asking humanity to abandon an industrialized lifestyle and go back to the hellish nightmare of non-mechanized subsistence agriculture - is a complete non-starter. A hypothetical 2500 C.E. which looks like the historical 1500 C.E. is equally undesirable to a 2500 C.E. where humanity is extinct.

Thought you might be interested in vitro meat: http://www.sciencealert.com/lab-grown-burger-patty-cost-drops-from-325-000-to-12

According to me, which am ignorant, they skip a lot of the energy waste in meat production. It's essentially factory grown meat. Don't take my word for it (not because the sauce is better but because I really don't fully understand it) read up on it and you may become interested. I'm very interested in it from a world efficiency standpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Salt Fish posted:

You would have to plant, according to one calculation I found, 1,554,723,200,000 trees per year at 2010 emissions levels to absorb the co2 being released by man.

Don't....don't they autopopulate?

Still, gently caress, I think that's a lot of trees. Alright, thank you.

fake edit: just looked it up, that's a fuckload of trees.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

The Palin Answer: "Trees love CO2!"

We are outpacing the trees. The trees are not a perfectly CO2 sink, and like any filter, can be over-saturated beyond their capacity

Thank you. Also, I'm horrified for being on the same side of the fence as Palin.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Here's a thought for car pollution: when you get your vehicle inspected, approximate efficiency is tested. You pay more the less MPG you have and the older car you have. Without discussing age, I feel like 60MPG should get $25 (because tags cost money, yo, as they always do) 40 should get...$80 (depending on how people feel about that), 20 should get $300 and after 20 it gets prohibitively expensive. You'd probably want to make a logarithmic function. Remember that this would be a bi-annual thing so it's not a common cost, though I kind of like the fact that it will land on many dumb people 'unexpectedly' and in that is sort of their 'punishment.'

I know that with catalytic converters and modern exhaust systems that cars don't pollute very much but getting and refining the oil DOES pollute the poo poo of the Earth.

I also know that electric vehicles are enigmatic and different people feel differently about them. They'd have to be accounted for in one way or another but tags probably isn't it - give them the 60MPG pricetag.

pwnyXpress posted:

I'm sure that food gets is evenly distributed to all geographic regions according to human population and need as well!

He's actually got a point. We have -enough- food, if I'm reading those charts right, we're just lovely at distributing it fairly. Now if people would just go on a loving diet and quit wasting food...

Verge fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 1, 2015

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Sinding Johansson posted:

you can pry my 92' geo metro from my cold dead hands you statist pig

What if I add a qualifier that you get taxed by the mile instead of straight up?

Also dude wtf cash for clunkers the gently caress is wrong w/ you?

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

....are you saying you LIKED Cash for Clunkers? And would you like to know how wrong you are?

It got a lot of poo poo cars off the streets. What didn't you like?

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

It took good, working cars off the streets, put those cars owners in debt to keep the American Automotive Industry floating, and actually was incredibly environmentally detrimental. It damaged the used car scene for at least a decade or more.

For instance: You just chastised someone for keeping an 92 Geo Metro (likely a joke, I know) but do you know what sort of fuel milage the 1992 Geo Metro got?

46 MPG City.
50 MPG Highway.

Cash for Clunkers was an abject failure and an incredible environmental tragedy.

46 MPG in its current state? Holy poo poo. Ok, yeah, obv. gently caress off w/ that thing but yeah, he and I were fuckin' around back & forth. But cars don't just get their minerals put back in the ground. We don't bury the fuckers. We recycle...I think. Aw gently caress it who am I kiddin' - ok fine yeah no one shoulda been dumping cars by year it shoulda been done by MPG, you're right, I concede.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It also drove up used car prices, putting the remaining clunkers out of reach of the working poor. It's really a lose-lose trade-off.

Bicycles get like a million MPG and if not that, moped, man. Moped. I got into motorcycling for this reason.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Evil_Greven posted:

That depends on a few things, too. Honda calculated that the non-driving cost of a vehicle in CO2 was 22% of what it emitted over a lifetime of 100,000 miles.

That would be a combined production, disposal, transportation, resource extraction, etc. That came out to roughly 2.22 tons of CO2. Suppose someone only drives a lovely MPG car about 5000mi/yr and suddenly upgrading to a great MPG car doesn't seem like a great option from a 'green' standpoint.

However, it might be far more. There's a (perhaps high-end) estimate of 35 CO2-equivalent tons for a new Land Rover.

Absolutely but if you're destroying a car at 5k miles, you're a fuckwit. A car is barely broken in at your example of 100k. Be real with me, man, who would do that?

Lemming posted:

Aren't you like guaranteed to die if you get in a crash in one of those things?

I mean yeah that would be good for the environment but I don't think Full On Murder Everyone is a politically viable solution.

I just advised people to get mopeds. Just wear a helmet in the geo. Yes, they have driving helmets. Yes, they will protect you.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Batham posted:

The nuclear powerplants in Belgium had their lifespans extended by at least 10 years.

The green party in Belgium called it one of the darkest days for the environment because of it.

:negative:

What would you prefer they replace it with? Nuclear power plants, watt-hour for watt-hour pollute very, very little. Do you know what size of solar farm you need to replace a nuclear power plant?

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Radbot posted:

Pretty sure you're both on the same side of this.

I don't understand. It sounds like he's anti-nuclear and I'm pro-nuclear.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Arkane posted:

I've heard if you put solar panels in the clear out area for a nuclear power plant (you can't build anything commercial/residential within X miles of a nuclear station, I forget the number), it would produce more energy.

Never heard of that. Maybe in some regions but it doesn't look that holds true for this guy

Edit: that's not a nuclear power plant at all! I'm an idiot.

CommieGIR posted:

Read carefully. He is bemoaning the Green Party's response to the extension of the reactor licenses.

Oooohhh. I thought he was agreeing w/ them. Ok, then. Thanks, guy.

Verge fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 2, 2015

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Phayray posted:

The number is an exclusion zone radius of 0.65 km according to this report. Even if you take the high end estimate (1.6 km exclusion zone radius -> 8 sq km) for a typical 2 GW site (0.25 GW/sq km) and take the low end estimate for solar from this NEI report of 1 GW / 116 sq km (0.009 GW/sq km), you're off by about a factor of 30.

Also we can probably use that land for something. Moar trees (for CO2). I think people tend to underestimate the stupid amount of energy nuclear plants generate.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

It took 1.7 Million panels to do that AND 13 sq KM.

Or, I could do 2,333 MW in 2 sq KM with nuclear.

How do you have 2 avatars?

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Caedus posted:

Welcome young one. They're called gang tags. We're not cool enough for them. :smith:

quote:

Carbon Capture Plant in Squamish, BC

The mountain air in Squamish, B.C., could soon be even fresher with the launch of a groundbreaking carbon capture operation.

The pilot project will suck carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, not from an industrial plant like other such operations, with the goal of turning the gas into fuel.

Built and operated by Calgary-based Carbon Engineering, the $9-million plant will capture about one tonne of CO2 per day, which is the equivalent of taking about 100 cars off the road annually.

Founded by Harvard climate scientist David Keith and backed by big-name investors including Bill Gates, Carbon Engineering has spent several years turning academic research into technology that could be commercialized.

The company will unveil its pilot plant in Squamish on Friday.

I've been thinking about a system like this for years, wondering where I was wrong in my science to think this was somehow a good idea. Except it was. And Bill Gates is pouring money into it. :psyduck: Moar trees - trees

Bill Gates loves climate change. I remember he wanted to saturate the atmo (or was funding a project or something related I dunno) with silicates or something...can't find it. Was pretty cool. If anyone can find it please link. It was a while ago, I think after he put a bounty on reinventing the condom and before the carbon capture plant.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Relin posted:

nothing will be done, the earth will heat up and co2 levels will rise until it is unfit for human habitation

also http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/12/manslaughter-charges-dropped-in-bp-spill-case-nobody-from-bp-will-go-to-prison/

Don't be so mopey! All-electric vehicles are being taken seriously whereas 10 years ago they weren't even seen as a realistic idea for anyone but a child. Provided the tech works with single passenger vehicles, I'll be getting one as my next vehicle! Harley loving Davidson is working on an electric motorcycle!

-hugs-

Buddy, the green movement is winning. We've always been winning. The only issue is that it's a race against the clock. Whether we win before time runs out is indeed a question but it's no absolute at this time.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Placid Marmot posted:

You are very clearly not a member of the green movement and, given your posts in this thread, you clearly know next to nothing about climate change. I have nothing more to add; your posts just annoy me greatly.

I'll be honest with you, I never really sank my teeth into the nitty gritty. I'm not the best, I'm not the worst. I think oil drilling is terrible for the environment and it's really my big issue, even though my hot button is more toward the topical destruction rather than atmospheric. That being said, just because you and I may have different views on what is 'green enough for now' and my life doesn't revolve around being green (as much as it really, probably logically should) doesn't mean I'm not vegemite eating hipster. Furthermore, all 3 vehicles I've ever bought myself (not counting the car my father got me that I drove for a year getting 25 MPG 10 years ago) have been 40+ MPG (that's calculated using trip meter and receipts, not stated) and all had a low manufacture footprint - this is a lifestyle I decided to reach for when I was 15, I have achieved it. So unless you need to bicycle everywhere to be part of your little club, I think I qualify.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

In another sign of the seriousness with which Americans are addressing climate change, Toyota is predicting that the RAV4 will soon overtake the Camry as its best-selling car.

The fact that it's socially acceptable to buy a new Camry with its out-of-the-box environmental impact and manufacturing footprint is appalling. 35 STATED highway MPG is completely unacceptable, not even getting started on the RAV4.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Radbot posted:

Well, one PV mega-site would objectively do far, far more to offset carbon emissions (assuming it was replacing a non-renewable energy plant) than this carbon sequester plant is doing. Sequestering carbon makes no loving sense until we're using primarily non-carbon emitting energy sources, since it's way cheaper to install nuke plants or PV plants per unit of carbon saved.

This is what I'd like to see evidence of.

Some people hate nuclear, though and Fukushima was no help. I'm with you but carbon sequestering would be a non-factor if people just trusted nuclear, which is easier said than done because, well, nuclear is not 100% safe. Many people, as you've seen, won't settle for anything but solar, wind and wave.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Vire posted:

What is crazy to me is how little discussion I hear in these kinds of threads about how bad china's coal is loving everything up considering they are creating 50% of the worlds green house gasses alone and breathing the air in that country is literally killing close to a million people every year and its only going to get worst until 2030 where china claims emissions will peak (Fat chance unless they do some radical stuff to fix it.).

Yeah, sure, but China is only half of U.S. in CO2 per capita and U.S. is only 3rd place there. China's not even in the top 10 contributors for CO2 per capita. Only counting major countries here. For an actual list, see the source

computer parts posted:

Because it usually devolves into discussions about restricting the number of children developed nations can have and China actually has a legitimate self interest in reducing emissions (because the party bosses have to live in that poo poo too).

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

CalmDownMate posted:

"I hope you don't like apples"

Have a coworker like his. Said something similar. She's fat. I should've known - she called it rabbit food.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Arkane posted:

This is misleading. Much of that 1C increase you cite is prior to 1940, and likely had very little correlation with human activity/CO2.

This is why the problem is usually described along the lines of.... "It is likely that most of the warming in recent decades can be attributed to human activities." Note: "most" and "recent decades."

We know mathematically that a doubling of CO2, all other factors aside, leads to a 1C increase. There are likely to be feedbacks on top of that which increase the number to above 1C per doubling, but there's wide disagreement on what the number is (from the low 1s to above 2).

Whether humans or nature is to blame, the earth is set to become inhospitable. IDGAF about the earth except for its value to us, which is high. We should keep it temperate for that reason.

quote:

Let me clarify: it is impossible without new technology in every scenario except the one where world economies are dismantled and humanity is immediately thrust into deep poverty. You are right...in that scenario of human misery, emissions will fall dramatically.

No, we just have to stop wasting energy on useless poo poo and consume less.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Nevvy Z posted:

No we just have to switch to the existing clean source of energy. :suicide:

Maybe you misunderstand me. I'm not saying burn less coal (although that's a compromise I'll take!) I'm saying reduce energy demand to a point where solar, wind, hydroelectric and the up-and-coming green energies can keep up with the new low demand. Be realistic, do you think a green energy array would be feasible for cities like Portland or Chicago? Of course, we could use nuclear where necessary but we'd still want to severely reduce energy usage in smaller towns since we don't want a nuclear reactor every 100 miles.

Using green energy is incredibly expensive and land-consuming over some of the alternatives and I'm not talking undeveloped land, we're talking smack right up near the city land. Yes fossil fuels gently caress up undeveloped land (which is bad, I'm not downplaying that) but undeveloped land doesn't displace any businesses or homes, or at least not often (and they rarely give a poo poo). Don't forget that land aside, though, green energy sources are still expensive as gently caress-all, which is a cost you have to take into account whether you like it or not.

Note: the reader should acknowledge that I run the assumption that hydroelectric, one of the most cost-effective forms of green energy, is fully taken advantage of. The reader should acknowledge that there's only so much river.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

computer parts posted:

Nuclear reactors currently provide about 20% of US electricity needs and there's around 100 plants in the country.

Right, so if this was my dreamworld (and I know it isn't) I'd double, maybe triple that, kill all coal and natural gas except small ones used in small towns that can not take advantage of green energy sources due to geographic circumstance and get all small and large towns on solar/wind that are geographically compatible. This would be cost prohibitive, in my opinion, unless we also reduce energy uses, especially in those towns completely dependent on green and fossil energy (nuclear plants generate stupid amounts of energy).

Now I don't like to admit this but I know it'll come up: everyone knows that reactors pollute in their very own special way and we kind of suck at not loving that up so beta testing alternative nuclear methods should be priority 2, if not alternative nuclear waste disposal methods.

It should be understood that when I use the terms cost prohibitive or expensive, I mean the market costs of labor and materials to commit these acts. Simply raising the price of energy, esp. dirty energy, would easily accomplish this, as the market will do naturally. Except the dirty energy tax, that's gotta be sin taxed.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Regarding molten salt reactors: they're great and all and a wonderful next step but as far as safety goes, they're not functionally different from conventional reactors, not by a lot, any way. I think we need to stop trying to highlight safety features which are already in use such as cooling via saturation and instead highlight nuclear pollution. I think one of the beautiful things about MSRs is that, if I understand their fuel (and I should, I went to NNPTC) it should be far easier to contain when spent.

icantfindaname posted:

hydroelectric is literally the most environmentally destructive way to get electricity there is. but somehow mass destruction of habitats is cool because the alternative is atoms

I think you misunderstand, there are hydroelectric dams that don't kill fish. We need to get rid of the ones that do, [kill fish] however.

Doopliss posted:

Hydroelectric is really bad for greenhouse gases too, since reservoirs wind up emitting an amount of methane on par with fossil fuels. It's sort of bizarre, which is probably why it took people so long to realize, but I guess reality never promised to intuitively make sense.

Da gently caress is this? Source pls.

Not calling you a liar, need to know moar.

Av027 posted:

Also, is it really that hard to resist responding to Arkane?

My bad, didn't realize I was feeding a known anti-green.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Salt Fish posted:

Dams create large low oxygen bodies of water. Low oxygen water grows bacteria that release methane and the methane emissions from standing water are probably about half of all global emissions:

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/hydropower-as-major-methane-emitter-18246

Interesting. Are there any viable resolutions to this?

Ardennes posted:

A lot can be done by slowly cutting down the number of smaller/older dams that are basically not worth the damage they do in terms of energy they produce, that said ultimately it is probably a better option to improve fish ladders and other workarounds than get rid of the larger dams that are very productive and would be replaced probably with fossil fuels anyway.

Ultimately, between dams and wind power, the NW could probably get away with being carbon free in terms of electricity generation pretty easily without too much political controversy.

As with everything the ultimate solution is an investment in a multitude of solutions that have their niche somewhere in the formula, this obviously should include nuclear, wind, solar, geothermal.

I completely agree. We also have to take the small victories we can moving forward to try and make a colloquial 'slippery slope.'

Anosmoman posted:

The European coal lobby produces cartoons. It's my new favorite thing.

I like how it looks like they're chucking charcoal (a wood product).

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Hey if we quit burning coal the CEO might only be able to afford a 12 bedroom house instead of a 14 bedroom one. THINK OF THE POOR CEOS! How can you expect an executive to survive without a car elevator?!?

The CEO is contractually obligated to maximize profit, the environment not withstanding. His employees are obligated to follow his orders. Teaching a CEO ethics doesn't help anything, his hands are tied.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

The company's CEO (in regulated states) would love more than anything to build nuclear if he could justify it to the comission. It would greatly increase short term profits in absolute terms. Rates are set by giving a rate of return on capital investment and nothing is more capital intensive than nuclear.

I think you underestimate the political power of Big Fossil.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Up until now every post supported my primary point. With respect to coal miners, gently caress that job, I don't care. We shouldn't be concerned about that, we should have social welfare programs that allow anyone in a dead industry to transition into a productive and useful job, rather than propping up industries that are fundamentally detrimental to progress. I would hope that the US has enough compassion to allow support for labor, but failing that, it is better for the coal industry to die than to protect that subset of laborers, much like I don't shed tears for the military contractors who go out of business if we aren't in perpetual war.

Now hold up, I don't think that to stop loving the Earth up we need to go full-blown socialist. Also, you don't seem to grasp the impact of destroying a major and localized industry. The coal miner doesn't bring money home - fine. He doesn't pay rent or buy nick nacks at the market. Let's say he's fed and comfortable for the time, however. So, since the coal miners are all basically supporting the city, the bars, toy stores, pretty much everything but essentials fail, one by one, the process accelerates as there be more jobless people and less money in the city. Eventually you have a loving city of unemployed people except the cashier at the grocery store. But this isn't just one city, it's happening all over the country, by your wishes. Even if it doesn't happen all at once, it would be devastating to us all. I'm not saying this excuses inaction but it does warrant attention.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Shayu posted:

Do I give up my nice things like car, phone, heat for climate changes to end? Don't want to do that.

That point is contested. I don't think many people think you'll lose necessities like heating but your car is up for debate. Phones have very small carbon footprints if I know my pollution.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Evil_Greven posted:

The thing is that we could replace a lot of modern conveniences with alternative ones that work just as well - or better.

One example - solar heaters. A poo poo but working version can be built from painted aluminum cans, glass, and a box. They work pretty well in a good chunk of the country, providing heat during the day. Problem is that it's an ugly black box on the side of your house, so gently caress that because of social reasons.

Our houses suck rear end at retaining heat and cool air, which could be fixed by building them out of things that don't suck. Again, social reasons frequently prevent this. They could even be made virtually weather-proof, but screw it, because of appearances.

Show me this weather-proof house.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Ok, domes kick rear end, no argument there but I don't see any miracle materials at work here.

One of the problems with domes comes down to the sphere-container problem. A sphere is theoretically the best container for holding things because you use the least material to hold the most volume. The problem with this, however, is when we stop talking about holding liquids or start talking about holding many containers. The same issue with domes. Are we talking usable floor space here? Volume? Either way you slice it, that roof is gonna get low in some sections of the house. These issues I'm pointing out, by the way, aren't social: they're functional. The best containers for humans are cubes because humans don't like to be reshaped or spun on any axis.

I assure you, I'd be fine with living in a dome if I were confident that the dome in question could house me in a way I'm accustomed to.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Evil_Greven posted:

How much space do you reckon an attic encompasses in a 'normal' house? What about wall thickness or other dead space areas?

They started building stemwalls before 2000 as a variation on the pure dome, which accommodate people a bit better - or at least make the structure look more like a 'normal' house.

I don't consider the attic in a conventional home as wasted space because it does not extend outward into our land-space but I'd guess...1/4? I mean, all I'm saying is that I don't see the benefit to extending the structure outward. poo poo, a dome roof makes engineering sense, no question, and a dome house if you really need to withstand nature's wrath but outside those factors, I don't see a benefit outside of having wasted horizontal space, unless you're making the claim that they can make the walls significantly thinner. This is all, of course, secondary to the difficulty in the fabrication process (steel beams that don't go straight are a oval office!)

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Watching the documentary "Pump" on Netflix now. I recommend it. Feels like "Who killed the Electric Car?" but from a more modern perspective.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think you completely missed the car point. A major issue is people replacing massive, inefficient vehicles very frequently; every few years or sometimes even every year. That and people owning more cars than people living in the household. Why do 3 people need 6 cars? They loving don't.

Besides replacing a 15 year old car with a new, economic model actually makes sense. You're now using less fuel. Good for you.

The issue is the short-term feely goodies from getting a new model. They don't last. You got that too when you bought a new car guaranteed but your lifestyle improved because you traded an old, worn out thing that did, in fact, need replaced with one that was newer and in better condition. The car industry keeps telling people to buy buy BUY BUY BUY!!!! Inefficiency doesn't matter THERE IS PROFIT TO MAKE!

Ah this logic again. Yes, when a new car comes into existence (bought new) it pollutes a lot. That being said, when I bought my new vehicle, I didn't smash my old one. I've never heard of anyone throwing out a running car except in cases like cash for clunkers, which is different.

gently caress it, though, make like Mackelmore and buy a moped.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Nail Rat posted:

You're focusing on a very small part of his post. The primary point was that the temporary thrill of getting a new car fades, pretty quickly, and people who buy a new car for the sake of having a new car quickly want a different one. Buying a new car when your current one is only a few years old doesn't actually improve your quality of life. Obviously if you have a 15 year old clunker and you need to drive often, a new car will improve your quality of life.

I don't believe anyone said to "just buy a moped." Obviously for many cities, you need a car unless you live in a neighborhood where many things are walking distance.

If this is just about quality of life, yeah, get a new car only if your current car sucks...but then I'd recommend a newer used car. Regardless, I thought he was talking about the environmental impact of car manufacture as Prius contenders so often do.

The moped thing is a joke, sorry. Mackelmore, the singer, said buy one. But they are more eco friendly than any gas car, when they apply.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

Actually, on a non-carbon emissions basis mopeds are often far under regulated for emission controls. Which just brings up the problem that sadly even climate change isn't our only environmental disaster occurring so our decisio making is complicated.

Far less regulated but the major manufacturers (Vespa and Piaggio) offer mopeds that meet the emissions standards for full-size motorcycles. Further, at 100mpg actual no matter how you ride it, the point that most of the environmental damage from gasoline is done prior to ignition becomes incredibly noteworthy. poo poo, I've considered getting one and my primary vehicle is a medium sized motorcycle. Further, I'll point out that I'm more concerned with greenhouse gasses than aerosol toxins at this time. Not to dismiss your point at all.

Note: of course I realize the real goal is to end our addiction to oil and catching poo poo on fire outright.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

El Grillo posted:

I've always thought we need nuclear to get through this as renewables' intermittency and the cost of storage solutions is too big a hurdle to get over without backup. Guardian just released a report on storage developments in the UK and globally and it looks interesting Not sure what it means regarding the cost vs. nuclear debate though: http://www.theguardian.com/environm...9581&CMP=ema-60
Can anyone tell me what they mean when they say 'a 10MW storage facility'? Is that 10MWh or what?

e: hot drat, world's largest windfarm off Yorkshire coast: http://www.theguardian.com/environm...9581&CMP=ema-60
Anyone have a good article or two on the criticisms of offshore wind? It's all over the press here but hard to find a balanced view.

So...the batteries issue isn't as big an issue as people think it is, depending on climate. If the day/night cycle is your problem, it's not nearly as bad as, say, clouds. People use tremendously less energy at night. The big issue is that your system has to be capable of heating homes in steady -5 C weather for weeks on end while it may be an absolute excess come summer time. Obviously you can fire up a backup plant but doing that regularly can get...stupid... It should be noted that batteries are used (albeit far less) even in grids using coal power. Ever worked fast food? Y'know how it's like hours of customers trickling in then all a sudden a stampede? Electrical demand is just like that.

Just to be clear: nuclear plants totally need batteries or you waste an assload of fuel during off hours because like solar during sunshine, nuclear cores can't be flipped off to save fuel.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

El Grillo posted:

Genuinely didn't know there were large-scale storage solutions in operation already. vOv
Conversely, it was my understanding that cloud cover isn't that big a deal for solar, in that on average 80% of the energy comes through anyway. Although that wouldn't mitigate the potential outlier scenario where you get very heavy cloud cover for days or weeks.

As an Oregonian, I may have a bias regarding my view of clouds. You're probably right.

blowfish posted:

Note: nuclear is increasingly load-following.

...what? How in the gently caress? By load-following, just to be clear, you mean we use more or less fuel depending on how much is needed? How in the gently caress can you do that? Can you source this please? Alternatively, maybe I completely misunderstand you.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Ah gotcha then. I thought the claim was being made that someone found out a way to 'shovel some more coal on the fire' with hot-rock.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

The problem is mitigation won't undo the damage of climate change either. As much as people don't want to hear it, but geoengineering is inevitable just not a panacea either.

Look at it this way, we're already engaged in geoengineering, just without any planning or intentionality.

I gotta agree with ya there. Everyone's got this hands-off attitude toward nature, as if not loving with it will keep everything going. We're already loving with it big time. Yeah, sometimes we'll make entire species' go extinct trying to help another but I think with just a bit of practice, a hands-on, fully engaged approach will be the most successful. We can't be afraid to get our hands dirty, not when they're covered in blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

[Wait I said wrong poo poo hang on.]

I forgot that there is more than 1 rock and broke my brain. Disregard previous statements and consult another nuke.

Verge fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 9, 2016