Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
https://calearth.org/building-designs/what-is-superadobe.html

I always thought these designs looked pretty impressive but I don't know enough about building structures to know how viable they would be in different regions, but yeah most of them are built using the dirt onsite. The other problem would be getting loans for them due to how unconventional they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

Arkane's been moving those goalposts since he started posting in the thread(s) so it's not like he actually has something he can double down on.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

It's still probably a good idea to keep a savings.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

drat it's going to be really hard to get my bunker ready in time

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

It's probably still a good idea to save.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

I wouldn't expect it to have a meaningful impact on the overall situation and if someone wants to blow their brains out over climate change they don't need a doctors office to do it.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

Rime posted:

No. This is all so, so, so wrong that I do not even know where to start. Should I talk about the destruction of Assyria, where Greeks camping beneath the shattered walls of Nineveh two centuries later didn't even know who built that city which once housed half a million people? Where the now-tribal survivors of Assyria didn't know who they were? Should I talk about the predations of ilk like Ghengis Khan and Tamerlame, who functionally destroyed civilization in asia, levelling cities and slaughtering percentages of the human species?

Should I address the fall of eastern Rome, where cities and villages were sacked en-masse by Germanic tribes, who then set themselves up as petty dictators paying taxes to Byzantium by bleeding Roman peasants? Speak of the immediate decline in living standards across Italy during that period? The collapse of the public works networks, failure of sanitation, complete depopulation of major metropolitan centres like Rome due to plague and starvation? The fleeing of peasants from the hinterlands, as brigands raided their holdings to rape and pillage? The destruction of trade and implosion of classical culture?

Should I talk about how all that affected the common person in a single lifetime? Should I talk about how we didn't even know almost all of our own ancient history up until the 20th century?

Hell, we don't even need to go back centuries to find a good example. I brought up Syria several pages ago. Two decades of a drought worse than any in the past thousand years caused that country to fall into war and anarchy. By any stretch of the imagination, civilization has "collapsed" in Syria right now. That took less than five years to happen.

Yeah, sure, people live on. That doesn't mean it was pretty or easy for anyone involved.

Could you expand on this?

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

I used to be in the room and gloom camp about 5 years ago, now firmly in the how do we mitigate this and adapt to the changes camp. Even too late is better than nothing.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

Placid Marmot posted:

How ironic.
Someone whose flights to and from the Great Barrier Reef will generate close to the annual CO2 emissions of the average world citizen is sad that CO2 emissions are causing the destruction of the Great Barrier Reef.
And I see that you're popping down to Brazil this year too. Be sure to check out the rainforest before it's burned down to grow food to feed the cows that go into your Taco Bell burritos.

Are you stalking him to determine how much co he is responsible for

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

Placid Marmot posted:

Or, we could not hypocritically fly halfway around the world.

I just entered flights to Australia into an emissions calculator and looked up the average person's CO2 emissions, if you want to call that stalking.

I meant more along the lines of the Brazil thing.

Please don't co shame

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

Also to note, the idea of climate change and dealing with it mentally can cause an incredible amount of stress; while I was critical of Placid Marmots initial comment I know I myself have been at that point as far as dealing with what it means, what i can reasonably expect, and dealing with personal responsibility in the face of it.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

-Troika- posted:

lol

If climate change is making you freak out and become (more) mentally ill then you have far more serious problems

You weren't stressed upon initially learning about climate change? Pretty big gap between that and mental illness.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

-Troika- posted:

Freaking out and berating some guy about his vacation plans isn't really a sign of stability.

I'll agree to that :)

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

sitchensis posted:

Mentally, for me, it feels like a very dull, intermittent, low-grade anxiety that infrequently pops up every now and then. Usually when I encounter an article about new monthly temp records being broken or coral reefs being bleached. Or when someone mentions offhand about how unseasonably warm the winter has been.

It also sometimes derives from my own experience. For example, the disconnect I felt between my "expectations" for a winter season that are in line with what I have experienced over the course of my lifetime, and the "reality" of something like last winter, where I was outside in a t-shirt in February when I should have been bundled up and trudging through snow drifts. It can be unsettling.

I think anymore my anxiety i might get is pretty similar. The coral reef news was probably the most recent kicker as well.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

Rime posted:

Being anxious about a worldwide phenomenon driven by billions of lives over which you have no control, is a problem. One day things might go to poo poo for you, if you have kids they're probably going to die horribly, but this is the case for the vast majority of the human race right now and always has been.

The only difference when it comes to climate change is that it will drag the western world back into suffering it hasn't known for generations and has forgotten how to deal with. You're anxious because your mind knows one day you or your children might be living like the Sudanese do now, today, and that is uncomfortable.

poo poo sucks, eh? What are you gonna do about it? Sit there and tremble and let it ruin the good times while they last? Right now you're one of the luckiest humans who has ever lived, since this species was formed. Do something with your loving lives. :mrwhite:

Could you expand on this

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

You can easily do both. Does Arkane post in this thread anymore or has he been successfully run out in shame?

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

Arkane posted:

The majority of posters in these climate threads on SA I would say fall into the category of alarmists. In fact, this forum is the single most alarmist place for climate discussion I've ever seen and I read a lot of climate stuff. Just batshit insane discussion about the downfall of humanity and civilization posted on a near constant basis. I think someone in a previous thread suggested that we non-ironically start killing oil executives, and another that we need a worldwide dictatorship.

Dear god I'm in agreement with arkane

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

Well then you are wrong because Arkane is a straight up denialist who is always wrong.

Fix yourself.

I don't know he links some pretty convincing papers

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

But it's already causing one arguably!

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to write that, that was excellent. How likely do you think #2 will be accomplished? Obviously business as usual would die a slow and painful death, but at a certain point wouldn't there be enough...upheaval I suppose is the best word that state actors would have to respond actively to the problem?

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

Thank you also for that excellent piece.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

Arkane I truly do not understand what you are arguing. What is the whole of the information you link here? Almost every piece you link is either from think tanks or pieces taken out of context from a larger study. Your goalposts have slid considerably, which sure I could agree different information would naturally change your viewpoint, but when something new comes out you're immediately posting something from a defensive point.

What do you believe regarding climate change? How much have those beliefs changed over the last 5 years? What made you think differently then than you do now regarding it?

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

Arkane posted:

This is just something you've made up out of thin air. I'd guess its been years since I've linked to a think tank, and nothing is out of context.

Ok my bad on that those; I only remember the think tanks (other than recent stuff).

quote:

The first is that the climate models have likely exaggerated future warming for a number of different reasons

Ok, if you would, could you expand on the reasons why? Are there specific reports where you can point a finger and say there, there is an agenda behind this? Also, when you say exaggerated are you also including ones with what you could consider reasonably conservative estimates that include oh say a broad range of possibilities but you overall don't disagree with?

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

Tree Bucket posted:

I wish I could think of a more intelligent-sounding way to ask this, but are we all gonna die?
Yup but that was a given since you were born. If you're referring to climate change probably not directly from it unless you are extremely poor and in an area of the world where it will hit the hardest.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

You should probably take that trip to see the reef

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

DoctoRadox posted:

it goes inside of your rear end

quoted the wrong thing but going with this

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

sitchensis posted:

At an individual level, it really feels like all I can do is flail around impotently. But I am still trying hard to change things in my field, even if it's just rearranging deck chairs.

Hypothetical: if you were a multi-billionaire on the level of Mark Zuckerberg with connections everywhere, what would you guys do?

Well pretty easy question, use that money to make more money in true fygm fashion

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

Placid Marmot posted:

Just checking if this is a joke or not.
Like, it has a weak magnetic field, air pressure 90 times that of the Earth, and air temperature of 450C+.
I just can't spot the sarcasm - help me out.

He may be saying we are already on Venus...the Venus before unrestrained climate change.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

What I really find pretty funny about the whole situation is how it's a never ending series of "It's much worse than we thought" reveals through ongoing research; it's like a scooby doo espisode where the villain keeps getting unmasked over and over, each mask worse than the last

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

Yup to all above

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

I think we will be mostly okay

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

What are Arkanes thoughts on these matters I wonder

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

What if the kids had solve the issues of climate change that would be pretty carbon negative

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

We should try everything that doesn't infringe on some basic human right, the resources are certainly available

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

And if it can't be done without infringing on rights? Do we just let ourselves commit climate suicide?

I'm hoping for a better answer then "of course we have the resources to do it without infringing on rights" (because if we believe really really really hard.....)

I guess maybe the more important question are what rights would you would be comfortable infringing upon to prevent it? There's a vast spectrum in sacrifices that can be made on a macro scale to accomplish lessening the severity before it resorts to something more horrifying.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

iirc it was sort of discussed a while ago and people were advocating for eating less than a maintenance amount of protein sooo

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

Placid Marmot posted:

No. Nobody has said that.

It was definitely said a thread or two ago, back when arkane posted extremely frequently in it

Banana Man fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 17, 2016

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

shrike82 posted:

Create some kind of reproductive rights trading platform. Maybe every couple gets by default the right to a single child and can buy or sell rights.
Forced abortions for people that breach this.

Who would handle the forced abortions

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

Good job everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

shrike82 posted:

Just throw money at Elon Musk and his Mars ambitions. Forget about the Earth and just rebuild from scratch over there.

Even a post apocalyptic jellyfish infested hell earth would be cheaper and easier to survive on than mars