Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I really mean: calls for individual action is the "millenials need to stop eating avocado toast then they could afford houses" of environmentalism. There is no amount of toast you can skip that will ever save enough to buy a house, you can jerk off as much as you want that toast costs nonzero money so any toast they skip technically brings their savings closer to a house but that is just garbage advice that literally will never have any impact of any sort on the root causes of the issue. Even if that means the individual does not have direct control over the larger reasons their generation struggles to buy a house.

I could switch to petting locally sourced organic cats right this second and I'd save some hundred thousandth of a percent of global Co2 over my entire life. There is no end game to that. And if it depends on global compliance of everyone agreeing to do it then with everyone on earth united to do things could implement the real solutions.

A vast majority of Co2 comes from a tiny number of sources. The biggest sources have already existent solutions that could replace them. Declaring that too hard to fix then deciding the better choice is literally impossible plans that everyone will globally comply with a set of moral guidelines that don't even attack the right things because that is something you can yell at your friends and family about directly and pretend you are fixing things is stupid.

hang on, this actually looks like a good post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
anyways, i'm in favor of maximizing how bad it gets and ensuring that it happens as rapidly as possible so i'm not really somebody who has a place in this discussion

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
the real concern is that whatever change occurs will be insufficiently radical and the institutions and people who benefited from contributing the most will be mostly unaffected

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Party Plane Jones posted:

hoo boy ya'll just post dumb, dumb poo poo

wait do you mean to tell me that this isn't the right place to post demented words of violence and death?

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
it goes beyond just spending $10bux on bans because if it's discussed enough it won't matter if the people talking about it get banned for it

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Two days till I go to germany, to visit pee pee's cat cafe. (Pee Pees Katzencafe)

if you're actually doing this, this is some pretty advanced trolling. please post photos.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Frightening Knight posted:

OOCC, go away. You can come back when you have photographic evidence that you visited the kitty cafe in Germany.

can you update this to include a video showing a hand petting a cat in a german cat cafe with dialogue that describes the international cat petting habit?

it comes across initially as sort of "reddit cute" but upon reflection the idea of OOCC stalking down alley ways looking for a willing cat is rather disturbing

Sing Along fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 23, 2018

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Oxxidation posted:

pretty sure i read before that the carbon cost of building nuclear plants would make their implementation a too-little too-late scenario, even if the united states was capable of building anything new other than weapons and perpetually empty "luxury" condominiums

this is why we need to embrace and accelerate climate change

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Oxxidation posted:

there's new coal plants opening worldwide and mcdonald's just decided to start selling quadruple-meat-patty breakfast sandwiches so i think society's well ahead of you on that one

it's a great political position because the most effective praxis is inaction

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
from the post:

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

slippery doc posted:

This is so much better after a quick google showing that global carbon emissions were 36Gt in the year of 2015.

Great news everybody! We can solve climate change through technology, and we only need to use 0.5 Sahara deserts per year! Oh uh how many Sahara deserts do we have available btw?

the math involved is so dumb. "yes, with basic stoichiometry and a little bit of multiplication we can solve the hardest puzzle the world has ever encountered"

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Epitope posted:

People have been fighting capitalism for a lot longer than global warming's been a threat. But cheer up, maybe with nature's help Capital can finally be taken down.

Welcome to my ideology.

Edit: In all honesty, the Deep Adaptation article is an incredible read. Supplementing it, I'd like to share the blog post its author responded with following its failure to pass peer review:
https://jembendell.wordpress.com/2018/07/26/the-study-on-collapse-they-thought-you-should-not-read-yet/

Sing Along fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Oct 28, 2018

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

im depressed lol posted:

I went down a click-hole after that Deep Adaptation paper and a book was recommended by* this group.

WAYS OF SEEING by John Berger

I'm only the first couple of pages into it, but so far it's very concisely expressing a lot of the issues I've been trying to regarding unconscious interpretation of narratives. It might be useful to some people here. You can find a PDF scan of it on google incredibly easy. There's also youtube uploads of the BBC series I guess this book was based on.

Edit: various typo's

shocking for me to be saying this, but Brooklyn Culture Jammers is way, way too invested in near term human extinction to the point of praising Guy McPhearson uncritically when he claims that we may be weeks from collapse

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
the 2011 posts are pretty great:

quote:

Just for anyone who's not up on what modern chemistry/biochemistry is cooking up to solve the problem of excess CO2, it might not be completely unreasonable to say we could have a way to fix massive amounts of CO2 in the next 5-10 years, assuming the powers that be are willing to throw money at the development of what has already been discovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
The efficiency and success of the Italian aviators in Tripoli are noteworthy, but must not be overvalued. There were no opponents in the air.