Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

How are u posted:

I've always figured that Alaska will come out in a pretty OK spot. Yeah, things are going to get really hosed up really quick with the accelerated rate of change in the Arctic, but once that shakes out it should be in pretty nice climate zone, no?

People who are preppers tend to forget the massive amount of climate refuges that are going to spill into everywhere should poo poo go down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Can anyone recommend any good fiction that depicts somewhat plausible views of the future w/r/t climate change?

I know Paolo Bacigalupi's work is pretty good at it. The Windup Girl is a bit extreme but the Water Knife and his Drowned Cities younger adult fiction stuff is pretty good at depicting an America 50-100 years into the future.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 17, 2018

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It's super strange to realize that the next generation is going to think of Antarctica as a livable place where people will be working and living out their lives, especially once the International "Please don't rape Antarctica Treaty okay?" expires and is SUPER not renewed by anyone.

Then in like 100 years people will be farming it as it will probably greener than most of Siberia.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I love how most white American olds are like:

"Oh I'll be dead before we see anything that affects my easy way of life AND my kids will be rich enough to live in the elite enclaves unlike them poors!"

combined with:

*Steals all of their future generations money and/or basically want to blow it all ASAP on healthcare keeping their greedy old bodies alive for an extra moments or to be buried with it like a pharaoh*

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

StabbinHobo posted:

we are in the bad times *right now*. thats what the collapsing/failed-states around the tropic of cancer are. thats whats driving the refugree crisis from the ME to EU and from central to north america. that in turn is whats driving the reactionary/hard-right turn both places.

there's nothing future tense about global warming, the poo poo is hitting the fan RIGHT NOW.

Yeah but Trader Joes still stocks avocados that are within the reach of the wages of the wage-stagnated plebs that have so much more to worry about in their lives than to have empathy for anyone currently being affected by climate change, even within our own country. Look at the Carolinas, Puerto Rico, or even Katrina a decade before.

I wonder what it would take to make things really hit the fan in the US specifically? Like climate change causing a virulent new rapid spreading cow or poultry disease leading to a collapse of readily available meat? Oil refineries being flooded on the coasts to the point where gas goes to 7 bux a gallon?

Migrants are already being scapegoated and the US isn't seeing the brunt of numbers as compared to Europe. Even though it seems that Republicans are priming the pump on blaming them and/or milking the topic for all it is worth.

I think the US is just to geographically huge and too entrenched in an attitude of gently caress-you-got-mine to have the majority of its citizens care for the plight of people in the span of hurricanes or droughts, even as entire cities go dark for good.

Hell, climate change aside, if some either natural disaster or terrorism hit anywhere on the West Coast right now, Fox News has so many Americans brainwashed that I am sure there would be plenty of people who would would specifically cheer on any perceived "dem left coast librul tears."

jeeves fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 28, 2018

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Billionaires know what is up with climate change and the near future of human civilization on the planet. Those that are not actively trying to leave the planet due to some God complex of being the first human to own the entirety of Mars are buying up private land en-mass in NZ, Chile, or Argentina and such.

A great article on the latter:
https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2018-rich-new-zealand-doomsday-preppers/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Climate Change: like Children of Men but only with too many babies