Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
That's why it's better to start talking about geoengineering now and come to an agreement, because a lot of solutions are within the financial reach of even poorer nations if they're under existential threat.

I think geoengineering is going to be something we'll have to do to suppress the average global temperature until we can get C02 emissions down, but I recognize that whatever method we decide upon is risky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I believe in an article recently some scientists said that given the current progress towards cutting emissions 2 degrees is inevitable and keeping it under would require drastic emission cuts every year for 20 years starting this year which is very very unlikely.

So yeah, probably not going to happen but it's always surprising what our societies can accomplish when aligned towards a common goal.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
geoengineering was pretty much verboten in the aughts because there was the belief that if people started talking geoengineering it would allow us to continue with current or higher emission levels while engaging in some fairly risky technology that could easily backfire based on not knowing enough about the interactions between various systems that we were going to meddle with.

now that there's no feasible way to cut emissions to avoid catastrophic damage, geoengineering is pretty much necessary to keep the positive feedback loops in check while we scramble to cut emissions. We need some kind of geoengineering treaty ratified to put a stop to any deranged billionaire or small state that's disappearing beneath the waves from setting out and doing their own thing because otherwise there's going to be a lot of rogue geoengineering projects doing serious damage to a pretty fragile situation. And the current treaties don't seem to be doing much.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 21, 2018

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It's going to come down to doing what you have to rather than you want. The fact that we get to do what we want or live our life however we want within the means available to us is an incredible luxury.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
gonna have to send the UN into Brazil to stop them from killing us all lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I would stop worrying about what you, yourself, can do, and start trying to fit into a larger group of people trying to change something locally. Throw all your sadbrained nihilism at this post as you want, the only way politics change is if a large group of people represent a constituency that will only accept people who will take radical measures to halt climate change. The individualist approach of "what can I possibly do?" is the wrong question to ask, and you will never get a satisfactory answer; it is what the people who don't want to change anything want you to ask yourself and nothing else.