Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
inshallah our great great grand children will feast on alligator meat in the rainforests of greenland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldLBoErAhz4

(our 8C past)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol, wish we had a 'thank' button

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can we get that script made/animated on fiver or something

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 29, 2018

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pitbulls are the best dogs because they eat suburban white children

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
climate refuges are just suburban settler mindset dialed up to 11 as an escape plan

gently caress you! i'll get mine! if i just have a big enough yard, maybe with some trees and poo poo... that'll... i dunno somehow solve something!

<dies of a basic infection because his truck gets stuck in the mud halfway through the 18 hour drive to the nearest hospital>

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 1, 2018

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i want like a form of scrubs that doubles as an eco-communist uniform

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Archonex posted:

Real talk though, setting aside the sadbrain stuff and doom and gloom just how bad is the current projected rate of change?

lol perfect loving example

"hey so the news is so bad I chose to reject it, can someone please give me some sugar coated baby candy so i can feel better?"

quote:

It seems like there's a hell of a lot of variability in what people are saying. You've got some folks that are giving "Hothouse Earth" end of the world speeches while others are saying that we can kiss our current culture of consumerism goodbye in a century or so. poo poo, even this thread has people going back and forth on it.
I mean sure this page has debate between "the utter collapse of modernity and civilization as we know it" down to "most life on earth and all human civilization for millenia" but those are fairly after-the-point debates that start from an agreement point that reality is very doom and gloom.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slavvy posted:

You dunk on everyone who thinks the situation is really bad
what the gently caress are you talking about? why would you pull poo poo like this completely out of your rear end in a top hat? try finding a quote where i do this even once, let alone as a pattern. you can't, because you're not actually talking to me you're talking to some made up bullshit in your head.

quote:

and now you're dunking on a person who doesn't know which level of terrible they should anticipate.
yes because they explicitly framed the question on the premise of denial.

quote:

What's the non- doom and gloom reality?
christ can you even read?

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shifty Nipples posted:

No they are right, most of your posts are angry and confrontational.
I dare you to source three quotes that support their point, which you seem to have already forgotten and rephrased so i'll quote it to you to remind you

quote:

You dunk on everyone who thinks the situation is really bad

they didn't accuse me of being angry and confrontational, they accused me of "dunking on everyone who thinks the situation is really bad"... which is a categorically false accusation. as is your support of it when you say "they are right".

when people confront me with false accusations, I will be mean in my responses. if you make poo poo up you're an rear end in a top hat, gently caress you, the end.

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 2, 2018

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIgDOehIoS0&t=60s

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 2, 2018

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sundae posted:

This thread is almost three loving years old. THREE YEARS of the same core group of depressed headcases
pfft, newb, this is the new thread after the old one started in 2011 got too depressing

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453503

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its just so weird to see web pages like this:
https://corporate.exxonmobil.com/en/investors/corporate-governance/board-of-directors/overview

every one of those people needs to be jailed and there they are smiling

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you wouldn't let us say what needs to be said

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
edit: not today stupid

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Conspiratiorist posted:

Yeah the problems don't come when you run out of water, it happens much sooner, when you start getting less water than you need.
funny if you say that about oil people think you're nuts

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
crickets were a fad, the numbers moved everyone over to black soldier fly larvae

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
could it be... a shred... an inkling... a glimmer, of hope?

https://ocasio2018.com/green-new-deal

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Morbus posted:

I don't know how you can look at the recent history of nuclear rector development and construction and conclude that it will be any faster at meeting demand.

If anything, wind and solar are obviously and demonstrably faster to implement at least up to ~40% of demand, which we are nowhere near at present. Beyond that things get dicey, and I'm as gung-ho about nuclear as the next guy provided someone can put forward a design that doesn't take a shitzillion years to build with innumerable design and construction problems. But until we've plucked the low hanging fruit of scaling wind+solar to the point where additional capacity requires overcoming major infrastructure and storage hurdles, it makes sense to focus on those as an easy win.

you clearly do not understand the scope of the problem.

taking your own numbers, how long should we "focus" on wind & solar to get to ~40% of demand?

how does that line up with the latest IPCC report's de-carbonization timelines?

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

vindicated at last!

thats not vindication rear end in a top hat that means its the one thing thats most reliant on conservation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rime posted:

Well hell thread, I just took a contract building the biggest wind turbines in North America for the foreseeable future, I start next month. How many to offset my lifetime carbon budget?

:thunk:

only one if you jump off it