Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
On a personal level, if everyone reduced their CO2 emissions to 1T/yr I believe that would be a good start. This means what you'd expect: no car/air travel, go vegan, if you gotta buy furniture/clothes/etc buy used.
These things are all trivial if you live in a city, but might be challenging for rural folk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

How would everyone buying used work?

In theory it probably wouldn't, just as its not really feasible for motorism to disappear overnight, but "If no new clothes are produced how will newborn babies stay warm" is not such a pressing issue that it should discourage people from reusing clothes and reducing their waste & consumption.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

Iron Twinkie posted:

Then a low carbon footprint is a luxury good and by definition is not a personal choice for the majority of the population. They can't afford it. People can't control if what powers their home is a coal plant, or if they have to spend 2+ hours in a car because they can't afford to work and live in the same place. These problems are not individual, they are structural and have to be addressed at that level.
Nearly everyone who lives in the west must lower their carbon footprint tremendously. We can't afford not to.
If just the people who had the luxury of lowering theirs chose to do so, ecological collapse would be averted.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
ChairMaster is just repeating the same narrative that the Trump administration is trying to push, that the rich should be allowed to get away with anything because its too late.
In time, I think he and people like him will gradually come to the realization that there is work to be done..

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

How are u posted:

:rolleyes:

Don't hate the player, friend. Climate Change is the all-consuming bugaboo of my life, much like the rest of us sad sacks here. I just recognize that, apart from not having a kid (done) and voting for people who accept reality and acknowledge that government must do something, anything else I try to do is a mouse fart in the middle of a hurricane. You can tut-tut all you want, but that's just how it is, and I'm honest enough to admit that I'm not going to give up extremely enjoyable and fulfilling opportunities for nothing.

You could use the "nothing matters" argument to rationalize anything. The earth is just a speck of dust after all.

The truth is, every person who takes the environment seriously and changes their behavior for the better, makes it a bit harder for people to rationalize their inaction in this way ("look, everyone else is doing this, why shouldn't I?")
We have a ways to go with shaming people for climate crimes, but please realize that every system is made of individuals, and that nothing happens on a systemic level that did not first happen on the individual level.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Long pork is the only ethical meat.

I'm feeling good about climate change, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Relax, the oceans will come to us.