Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
No we just have to switch to the existing clean source of energy. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Greggster posted:

Disregarding any consequences GMO-food has on humans (which to my understanding ranges from no signs of increased health risks to unsure whether there are long time-risks), what are the negative consequences it can have or already have had on the environment?

I can't say I have a lot of knowledge of GMO-food and what effects it has on humans or nature so I'd love to stand corrected on what I currently know.

In reality or in the brains of crazy people? this is key.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Placid Marmot posted:

Either you grant everyone freedom from responsibility and have nowhere to lay the blame for climate change, or you grow up and accept that it's YOUR fault that <bad thing> is occurring when YOU are one of the leading contributors to it.

Or you work to get rules made that solve the problem and also apply to you. Sorry you hadn't figured this one out.

You sound like those idiots saying "well why doesn't Warren Buffet just donate his money all to the government"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I like how he read the list and picked the exact opposite of the correct thing of what people in the thread would call him. Kind of sums up his whole history in this thread.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Rime posted:

Weather stations present an aggregate measurement across large regions which does not account for localized outliers. The thermometers I observed in Hasenkeyf read 50-51 degrees while I was there.

He misunderstood you as saying the water gets super hot when I think you were probably talking about the ridiculous sunburns.

Edit- you edited thepart I was replying to as I quoted you haha.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mozi posted:

So it was hotter than 44C, then - his original point being that he knew what 50C felt like, which is valid even if he was in a slightly hotter place than the official reading.

"Well now wait a minute in your essay you said you were in the army 8 years but here on the record you were in the service for 7 years, 10 months. Which is it fella?"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

crabcakes66 posted:

Yeah crops have definitely never failed before.

crabcakes66 posted:

Unfortunately the media only gives fuel to skeptics with that kind of logic. By associating everything that happens with climate change you desensitize people to its seriousness.

So, you don't care about climate change and want the media to stop talking about it. Got it. gently caress off now.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
We just have to design something more efficient than trees.

That can't get loose.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Triglav posted:

What is to be done in the developing world?

Something something nuclear something :suicide:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kudaros posted:

Some years ago I received a death threat over some very minor, very specific, nonsense that wormed it's way through the media like that comic describes. It's amazing that they had the motivation to look at the original author's name, pick one out, get an email address, etc, but not read the very simply abstract.

blowfish posted:

Print out that email and frame it.

Also post t here because I'm interested now.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Uncle Jam posted:

Even sitting in traffic is faster than mass transit. Japan has a loving amazing mass transit system but you end up commuting for loving ever. Living by the stations is expensive so you have to transit from a bus to the train to walking - its really easy to end up with a 2 hour commute for not terribly far distances.

Using a personal car is a bad choice not because of traffic but because its really expensive. Tax on car ownership is crazy and the tax rises as the car gets older - its really cheap to buy old cars but you pay a lot in yearly tax - and the inspections are severe. All it does is make car ownership into a class thing.

I somehow think that it would just be worse if they all had cars.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

TildeATH posted:

Anthropogenic, you idiot.

Anthropomorphic climate change is really mad at us for peeing on it's lawn.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Femur posted:

Are there historical examples of any society seeing these type of events coming and protecting themselves? changing?

I get the feeling they all act like we are going to, which is not care about anything beyond ourselves?

The Bible? 7 years of famine is pretty bad. Tragedies of the commons? Look at the rain forests, look at the rivers, look at the dodo. I mean, they did eventually fire proof the rivers again so it's not all bad.

Did we know the Great Barrier Reef was gonna be hosed quite this soon?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Everything just circles back to nuclear and we can't make people stop being idiots about nuclear.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

I like how almost half of conservative republicans agree that climate scientists should have a major role in policy making, but less than 20% think that climate scientists understand whether climate change is occurring or what its causes are. Also 85% of those conservative republicans who want climate scientists to be involved in policy making also don't trust them to provide full and accurate information?

I think it's like how everyone likes their congresscritter but hates congress. They just assume it'll be the 'right' (agrees with them) environmental scientists in charge.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Wanderer posted:

doom boner at maximum extension.

Climate Change: Doom Boner at Maximum Extension

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

double nine posted:

why are there 2 red, yellow, blue lines?
Projections of where the ice will end up if it starts following the pattern of "year"

Edit- its a double post so you missed the explanation in the first one :haw:

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 6, 2016

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Feral Integral posted:

Climate Change: What was to be done?

Also I love how nuclear is still the elephant in the room. Who the gently caress cares if we switch all cars and bullshit to electric if we still generate the vast majority of our electricity in coal plants?

That's why there's a whole other thread devoted to energy generation. Because it just ends up in a ridiculous derail here. (Nuclear everywhere forever get hosed haters)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

MW/Acre, Nuclear Plants have an extremely small footprint.

And deaths/TWH. the most important number of all!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
"I don't generate any waste except for my dozens of lovely posts"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
A different similar graph had those. I think these are likley ranges of final result, with the outer being very unlikely and the middle being more likely.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Fangz posted:

Cool strawman.

False Dichotomy. :science:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mozi posted:

And this is without factoring any known unknowns (tipping points.)

An/Arctic reflectivity loss. Various methane deposits. What else?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Fasdar posted:

Wildfire feedbacks and large scale forest loss in the mid and upper latitudes through increased insect/disease ranges; Interruption of oceanic CO2 uptake (phytoplankton, etc.); and, for fun, geological turbulence due to gravitational shifts following from ice sheet collapse (probably much later on in the game?); ummm... global increases in proxy wars and environmental warfare?

I still think if we get some popular scientists onboard we can get Trump to embrace the nuclear dream. It's the power source of the future invented in America. that may not be true but he'll say it anyway

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

how bout we just let people live their lives as they see fit without any authoritarian/violent government intervention

Libertarian thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636681

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

This thread goes around and around on this issue, but no, there isn't going to be a technological "solution" because it isn't really possible for there to be one. We have to both reduce emissions and eventually pull carbon back out of the atmosphere. The latter will be done with technology, but it's going to be incredibly expensive. The former will be done through technology and social change, both of which are also going to be costly. If we aren't willing to pay those costs and make those sacrifices, then we'll pay them later when we're forced to deal with the consequences of our inaction.

We have a technological solution. People are idiots. :smithicide:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
They need to to tag team large scale desalination with India

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Death spiral!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Maybe we could try to have it reversed in 200 years instead of 500? You know, for the kids.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

ChairMaster posted:

I'm sure when you're being beaten to death by climate refugees for the couple scraps of food you've got on you it'll definitely have been worth spending the extra time taking the public transportation or learning how to grow vegetables back when the soil could support plant life that offered nutrition to humans. When you get blown up by an IED or shot by some fascist with a gun it'll feel much better knowing you voted for the guys who didn't call climate change a Chinese hoax, but still failed to do anything even approaching remotely worthwhile with regards to addressing the problem. When your home is destroyed by a hurricane and you're left homeless and abandoned by a society that can no longer support even a fraction of the people who have literally nothing left but the clothes on their backs I'm sure you will sleep much better in the cold knowing that you bought the right kind of light bulb or reduced your carbon footprint enough to smugly tell people that they're a bunch of rubes being tricked by capitalism into enjoying what little time they have riding the wave of reckless consumption that doomed the world before they were old enough to vote in the first place.

It's ok the rich will protect us with security drones that they'll definitely never turn on us later. :allears:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

ChairMaster posted:

I was under the impression that the Anthropocene mass extinction was already accepted as "underway", not "mathematically predicted". Also the world's not ending, this has happened 5 times before. It's just human civilization (and humans if we manage to properly sterilize the ocean of oxygen-producing phytoplankton).

And possibly most of the insects. And eventually all the plankton.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
For all that we call it a sharing economy, getting people to actually share trips carpool style seems like a reasonably tough thing to coordinate but an important goal. Somewhere between Uber, car share, and public transit lies the perfect system.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Gortarius posted:

Give me some juicy details, please.

Clouding /dust reduces temp for a while. Not sure where the spike after comes in.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
And as an individual action it continues to be largely worthless.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

the old ceremony posted:

every poster itt needs to choose a species, not necessarily an endangered one, and devote their lives to helping that species make it through the climate apocalypse

call to action, your assigned species is the bighorn sheep

This is ineffecient. We need a dna ark. They don't need to make it through, as long as we can bring them back. :science:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Nocturtle posted:

Probably one that could safely use nuclear power.

We can do that too, we are just inexplicably terrified.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

TildeATH posted:

I was hoping the term “ecomutants” would become a thing.

It's not? I talk about the Ecomutants Clause all the time!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

WeAreTheRomans posted:

We are all paying for their sins externalities. There can be no forgiveness

FTFY

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

DrNutt posted:

You are woefully naive and optimistic about what how society will weather climate change and we will never be able to offer the rest of the world the high standard of living that you or I currently enjoy barring some sort of miracle breakthrough in energy production.

If only there was a source of energy production which emitted no carbon, with fuel that can be extracted from seawater, and which was provably the least lethal way to generate energy we have.

Oh poo poo we invented it decades ago

Too bad it's scary for the average idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Thug Lessons posted:

If you want a humanity that stops extracting, refining, packaging and shipping things, you're going to disappointed. If you go to your grave predicting those practices are going to end, you'll go to grave seeing your promises unfulfilled.

Great thanks. Meanwhile the rest of us will keep trying to convince society to be better.

We just need a few handsome scientists to start calming explaining that nuclear is ok.