Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Climate Change: What was to be Done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

The Internet Makes You Stupid

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Climate Change: Subsidizing Euthanasia with Carbon Credits

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly constitutes a "climate-related death," given that any acute atmospheric effect capable of causing an immediately quantifiable harm is by definition weather.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Placid Marmot posted:

Various sources suggest very large mortality, both already and increasingly in the future, [...]

Oh I get all that. It's just that when someone tries to tie a direct causal relationship to a specific number of deaths per year to a concept like climate that is defined by a very large temporal sample, all sorts tenuous links can be invented or ignored by people with an agenda.

On top of that, "climate-related" is a different from "climate change-related." The maker of the chart seems to be mistaking our technological adaptations to our environment in the last century for a reduction in the harshness of said environment. It's either that, or they're trying to imply that we've gotten better at protecting ourselves from nature so it's no biggie if it gets worse, which is pretty loving nutty.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Would the world financial markets even be able to handle the writing-off of all those oil, gas and coal revenues that will suddenly vanish from the books? This is assuming the mandated total changeover to renewables, let's say in a fantasy world where humanity actually wakes up. A pretty significant chunk of all money in circulation is borrowed against unburned fossil fuels that, if utilized, will most certainly doom our civilization. That's one hell of a catch-22.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Mother Nature is having hot flashes and wants her kids to move out already for cryin out loud.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

I would have loved to see the look on Trump's face when his military intelligence briefing told him that climate change is real and that it's a major national security issue and of great strategic importance.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

There hasn't been a single day with high temperatures below 50°F in Green Bay, WI, for the entirety of November. Thirteen of those days have been above 60°F. This is not necessarily unprecedented for our climate, but there has certainly been an increase in the frequency of these "not unprecedented" situations.

One fun aspect of this unusual pattern has been a nearly daily occurrence of complex sun halos for the last two weeks. One had 22° and 46°(!) halos, parhelia, supralateral and circumzenith arcs, and an upper tangent arc.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Bushfires

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

It's good to see the US competing with China again.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

1°C increase: It's only one degree! Natural variations!!

1°C decrease: Temperatures PLUNGE and PLUMMET Climate Change is FAKE

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

I'll put my chips in the pink triangle.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

rscott posted:

Batteries would have to have something like 10x the energy density than the current bleeding edge to compete with jet fuel, that doesn't seem to be in the pipeline

I always tell people that the future would be here by now if we had better batteries.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

In the dead middle of Arctic night no less.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Billions will die, but what about small businesses!

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Haha, worse yet, what if everyone kept driving cars and burning coal and gas for energy!

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Accretionist posted:

Hmmm.

400 GtC → 4e+17 grams of carbon --(graphite: 2.266 g/cm3)→ ~1.77e+17 cm3 cubes of graphite → ~5.6 km3 of graphite

That's approximately 70 of these 1.35 km cubes:

http://i.imgur.com/VmpjUPc.mp4

The real question is this: How do we synthesize a 5.6 km* cube of graphite ???

I don't think there's any way back for us.

It seems the original proposition to compact all human biomass into a giant cube and drop it on New York would be more feasible, and likely more effective in the long term.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Rime posted:

10ppm in 8 months is a bit of a spike. Sheesh.

There's a yearly cycle that varies by about that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Oh, for sure, but I was just pointing out a possible misinterpretation