Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Mameluke posted:

Get "lean" instead of "buff." You'll appreciate having a lower caloric intake when food prices rise!

Hell yeah solid mixed cardio training and calisthenics is the correct workout for climate dystopia imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Rime posted:

I said last year that we should rename the thread to Total Biosphere Collapse , as that is the cliff we are facing and which climate change is only one facet of but a major contributor to.

I don't see any value in human lives if we eradicate all other sentient life on earth, except that which is a financially efficient industrial food stock or pet, in order to sustain our species. There could be no greater crime.

On the other hand have you considered that sulfur proteobacteria have been waiting quite a long time for their turn and they're finally going to get it.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Rime posted:

So: Scientists ponder risk of abrupt climate shift (Yale Climate Connections)

This would, of course, kill pretty much every species on earth. :)

An even dumber statement than the coal one made upthread.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Rime posted:

Would you like to explain to the class how species which are already stressed and at risk of extinction due to existing environmental pressures would adapt to an 8 degree global temperature increase in under a decade?

Go ahead, we'll wait.

Would you like to explain to the class how you extrapolated an 8C rise in temperature at a site in Greenland to imply an 8C rise in global mean surface temperature?

Aren't you in an environmental engineering program or something? How are you this loving stupid.

Edit: For anyone following along and curious about what's going on here, there's a general effect called Arctic Amplification which results in the poles heating faster than the midlatitudes and equator. We absolutely expect step changes in the Arctic due to ice mass losses and freshwater hosing effects among other things. This doesn't imply an 8C increases in global temperatures, but that's not to say that it's impossible for us to create an 8C delta and blow pass the previous winner for largest change, the Paleocene-Eocene Thernal Maximum. It just requires a more cogent argument than Rime's headass one.

Notorious R.I.M. fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 3, 2018

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Archonex posted:

Real talk though, setting aside the sadbrain stuff and doom and gloom just how bad is the current projected rate of change? It seems like there's a hell of a lot of variability in what people are saying. You've got some folks that are giving "Hothouse Earth" end of the world speeches while others are saying that we can kiss our current culture of consumerism goodbye in a century or so. poo poo, even this thread has people going back and forth on it.

Most of these outcomes are valid because our projections are distributions not individual outcomes. As a global society we do a loving garbage job of measuring our planet due to budgetary constraints, so we have significant variance in modeling outcomes. Beyond this, what we choose to do from here drastically changes the distribution of outcomes.

The best outcomes, imo, result in global logistics networks falling apart with smaller, more resilient communities surviving while most die of famine. The worst outcomes result in humans and most if not all other mammals going extinct in a few hundred to few thousand years.

Either way, the timing window to start having these effects hit home for those in the first world will probably be around the 2030s, so now is the time to prepare.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

qkkl posted:

So which is it, warmer air = drier air, or warmer air = able to hold more water = wetter air.

Temperature and humidity are two separate things.

Hot dry air is fire weather. Hot humid air is flood weather. I wonder if there's some sort of common factor here...

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Mozi posted:

I'd bet money we start geoengineering before very long (though really from my perspective we've been geoengineering since the first steam engine was invented.)

Releasing sulfides into the atmosphere will seem like a cheap and easy way to buy some more time and I really think that once thing start getting worse noticably quickly it will be jumped on. The bad parts are a) it will likely cause severe droughts in heavily populated areas that depend on the monsoon season, b) probably other unpredictable effects, and c) if for some reason we halt the releases after starting them we're double screwed so once you start you can't stop, even if it turns out to mess up agriculture across a vast swathe of the globe.

d) atmospheric CO2 dissolves in the ocean faster at lower temperatures so you're just speeding up ocean acidification and lysocline shoaling instead.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

if your geoengineering doesn't deal with carbonate undersaturation in the oceans then it doesn't deal with the impending mass extinction.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

We got ourselves into our current climate mess with accidental geoengineering. I don't have much higher hope for intentional geoengineering!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Mozi posted:

I found it!

http://climate.envsci.rutgers.edu/pdf/RobockStratAerosolGeo.pdf

Right in the abstract, in the middle of the 2nd paragraph.

"The Geoengineering Model Intercomparison Project, conducting climate model experiments with standard stratospheric aerosol injection scenarios, has found that insolation reduction could keep the global average temperature constant, but global average precipitation would reduce, particularly in summer monsoon regions around the world. Temperature changes would also not be uniform; the tropics would cool, but high latitudes would warm, with continuing, but reduced sea ice and ice sheet melting. Temperature extremes would still increase, but not as much as without geoengineering. If geoengineering were halted all at once, there would be rapid temperature and precipitation increases at 5–10 times the rates from gradual global warming."

Increasingly reducing insolation also repeatedly lifts the height of the photic zone in the ocean. Every lovely geoengineering scheme makes the same tradeoff to improve atmospheric conditions while increasing adaptive pressure in the oceans.

Nature has already shown us how to draw down carbon, we just don't like the reality of the time scales involved: sedimentary weathering and biomass sequestration.