Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Looks like the predictions of a super el nino were spot on

‏@EricBlake12
@afreedma the SST datasets set so many records on initial release I thought they were wrong- Atlc/Pac/Ind oceans set or close to a record

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2015/11/18/global_temperatures_hit_new_high_amid_record_el_nino.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Hollismason posted:

I'm writing my first research paper on climate change and it's horribly depressing. Also since this is my first paper ever in like 15 years if one of you want to volunteer to read it and tell me thoughts that would be cool.

I'm having trouble finding realistic dissenting opinions that are not crackpots if anyone has any suggestions.

Tautologically wouldn't the dissenting opinions not be realistic?

Hello Sailor posted:

Best to post something positive along with that or Trabisnikof will call you a climate change denier.

The graph is the positive part ;)

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
That's one of the really annoying things about Minnesota state politics. Two of our huge left wing blocks are labor and environmental, and lots of the labor is north in the Iron Range. Anytime there is a new mining/big construction project in the north (especially close to the boundary waters) it pits the metro area environmentalists against the northern labor block and we all suffer for it.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Friendly Tumour posted:

Are there any good sites for projections and simulations of how climate change might affect different areas of the world vis a vis food production capacity and general weather.

From what I understand the modeling isn't nearly strong/detailed/reliable enough to point to specific climate changes for a specific region. The are guesstimates, mostly based on long term fairly obvious things, like overall warming shifting growing zones towards the poles, but even something like rainfall depends on so many variables there are no solid projections.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
The anti-GMO crowd often seems to conflate Monsanto and GMO. I try and nuance their view by pointing out Monstanto, along with most of big agri, is pretty terrible. That doesn't then mean that the process of creating GMOs is terrible, as it can do cool and good things like extend the climate that crops can be grown in so resource poor areas can use more growing area, or add in nutrients to a crop that otherwise doesn't have it so key dietary needs can be addressed in the developing world. Not all GMO tech is aimed towards pesticides.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Batham posted:

People complaining about GMO's in general need to do some serious fact checking by taking a good look at food production over the last 50 years. Is it all good? Of course not, nothing is. But the amount of good GMO's have done cannot be denied. If it weren't for them, we'd be facing really big problems already.

All this blind GMO hate seems to originate from the same branch of environmental activism that is less and less about science and facts and more about gaia/mother earth crap.

A big part of it is anti corporatism too, see goon on last page saying monsanto and GMOs are 'inseparable'.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You make a good point. White people are better for the environment, because they reflect the most energy back into space.

You have to look at the overall emission level profile though, white people have a history of being pretty bad for the environment.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Zudgemud posted:

No your country will survive due to advantageous geographic location and money, you kill several other countries though.

We need to act preemptively to ensure any Florida climate refugees are funneled into states that are already as terrible and hosed up as Florida is

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
woops wrong thread

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
another battle won in the war on coal
https://twitter.com/JeffScheid/status/842508131406036992

ed: woah this was not the thread I meant to post this in but still works I guess

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/2017/03/arctic-sea-ice-maximum-at-record-low/

quote:

Arctic sea ice maximum at record low for third straight year

Arctic sea ice appears to have reached its annual maximum extent on March 7. This is the lowest maximum in the 38-year satellite record. NSIDC will post a detailed analysis of the 2016 to 2017 winter sea ice conditions in our regular monthly post in early April.

On March 7, 2017, Arctic sea ice likely reached its maximum extent for the year, at 14.42 million square kilometers (5.57 million square miles), the lowest in the 38-year satellite record. This year’s maximum extent is 1.22 million square kilometers (471,000 square miles) below the 1981 to 2010 average maximum of 15.64 million square kilometers (6.04 million square miles) and 97,000 square kilometers (37,000 square miles) below the previous lowest maximum that occurred on February 25, 2015. This year’s maximum is 100,000 square kilometers (39,000 square miles) below the 2016 maximum, which is now third lowest. (In 2016, we reported that year’s maximum as the lowest and 2015 the second lowest. An update to the Sea Ice Index last summer has changed our numbers slightly.)

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

ChairMaster posted:

Ten million years from now it'll look like it all happened at once anyways. There'll be a poo poo load of geological evidence of a species that popped up all over the planet all at once and then suddenly almost everything on the planet died.

Forget what show it was but I remember a segment talking about how easy it is going to tell when we were here because of all the weird compounds we're burning up there is going to be a layer in the soil record thats completely different full of man made pollution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Cingulate posted:

My problem is, it seems you're much more invested in convincing some observer that OOCC is a terrible person who should be shunned and despised, than convincing anyone, in particular OOCC, to do things better.

There's actually an SA quote for exactly this occasion

quote:

A better analogy would be if someone walks into a championship tournament, says "GEE I THINK I MAY HAVE TRANSCENDED THE UNDERSTANDING OF SOME OF YOU GRANDMASTERS HERE, WANT TO JOIN MY NEW SCHOOL OF CHESS STRATEGY?", then loses by scholar's mate twice in the first round.

This person then refuses to leave his seat, claiming that he needs additional proof that the queen in f7 actually ontologically exists before he will admit defeat, and that the rules of the CHESS ESTABLISHMENT were unfairly biased against him by disallowing the possibility of his king being able to leapfrog pieces.

Then he pulls out an ancient shopping list from 1905 and claims that "1. Eggs" means 'The King', "2. Butter" means 'can', and "3. Milk" means 'leapfrog'. This is admissible evidence for his case because he has lived according to the dictates of this list since he was a teenager, and it has drastically improved his quality of life. When the referees tell him that this makes no loving sense, he drags them into a three hour debate over the precise meaning of the words 'makes', 'no', 'loving', and 'sense'.

When people point out that there is more than enough evidence to suggest his list is just a scrap of paper from some long-dead housewife's purse, he rather proudly points out how close-minded they are in dismissing outright the possibility that the list was in fact a secret coded message on the best way to live life, originally formulated by Atlanteans and passed down through the ages disguised as everyday documents. After all, if one starts with the presupposition that such a document exists, then it would be very fair to argue that it is indeed in the form of his shopping list.

Never mind that his previous interpretations of the list led to three convictions and time served for robbery, hate crimes, and murder. These were just unfortunate misinterpretations on his part of the list's true intentions, he says. The list itself is blameless. In fact, the Atlanteans deliberately obfuscated the true meaning of the list in this way, so that it would require multiple failed misinterpretations before one would happen across its TRUE meaning, and in doing so appreciate it all the more.

In fact, he does have some evidence to back up his claims. Why, just last week during his daily meditation on the list, he felt it telling him that something good was about to happen in his future. And yesterday, wouldn't you know it, he found a twenty dollar note on the sidewalk! Evidence of the list's prophetic powers if I ever saw one. And believe him, he has many more stories where that came from.

By now, the debate has splintered off into innumerable tangents, with the one man against literally every other player and referee present at the tournament. Finally, he graciously accepts the possibility of defeat in some of the myriad topics now being covered. OK, maybe the tallest player doesn't always get to go first. Fine, I will concede that there isn't much evidence to support my third-invisible-knight hypothesis. But that's all irrelevant. What he wants to concentrate on, and what nobody has yet been able to disprove, he adds, is the ability of the king to leapfrog over other pieces.

The argument drags on for weeks. Finally, one afternoon, the beet-faced referee exhausts his last reserves of decency and throws his arms up in frustration and despair. "YOU loving RETARD, HOW CAN YOU LAY CLAIM TO KNOWING ANYTHING ABOUT CHESS STRATEGY WHEN YOU DON'T EVEN GRASP THE MOST BASIC RULES!?" He shouts, just as a new entrant walks through the door. "I'm sorry," replies the man calmly, "I simply cannot discuss the rules of chess with such an 'official' if you insist on using such strong and uncouth language. Please retract your insults or I will be forced to plug my ears whenever you say anything from now on."

Seeing only this last exchange, the new entrant pipes up. "He's right, you know. If he did something wrong, then you as the referee have every right to tell him he is so, but it should be done with a patient and thorough explanation of the details of his error. Hurling ridicule at him solves nothing and won't change anyone's mind."

The lazy eye of the retarded List-following, King-leapfrogging man twitches almost unnoticeably, as he cranes his head towards the source of this new voice. A welcoming smile cracks, inch by beaming inch, across his face. He licks his lips. He clears his throat.

"So glad to know decent people like you still value a polite discussion. Care for a game?"