Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Hollismason posted:

:emo:

Seriously what the gently caress. Are they just not attending the Paris Conference.

But they're going to reduce their emissions intensity! :downs:

Just don't expect them to do it by giving up fossil fuels. Because they won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Verge posted:

It got a lot of poo poo cars off the streets. What didn't you like?

It also drove up used car prices, putting the remaining clunkers out of reach of the working poor. It's really a lose-lose trade-off.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
In another sign of the seriousness with which Americans are addressing climate change, Toyota is predicting that the RAV4 will soon overtake the Camry as its best-selling car.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

computer parts posted:

Also the RAV4 and the Camry have almost identical MPG ratings.

RAV4 gets about 24.5, the Camry about 32.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

computer parts posted:

I don't know what that site is, but the listing on Toyota's website have them both at roughly 25 & 32 (slightly more for the Camry but only on the highway).

If I had to guess the people on that site listing their RAV4 primarily drive in the city, while the Camry people mostly drive on the highway.

Fair enough. I think it's self-reporting, but even the self-reporting on fueleconomy.gov gives 25.7 for a 2015 RAV4 (24 for recent year 2WD models) and 28-30 for recent Camrys.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
If at first you don't succeed, fish, fish again.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
What's a global warming denier to do when their favorite data set starts to show global warming?

Move on to the next dataset that "proves" your claim, of course: upper troposphere (100mb) temperatures!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Envirogoons better suck it up because anti-nuclear opinion in the US just hit an outright majority for the first time.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Rime posted:

You guys are funny. The impact on the first world isn't just going to be high food prices, it's going to be war and social shocks the likes of which we haven't seen in centuries.

The hell going down in the middle east? That didn't start due to a sudden pressing need for Democratic revolution, it started because the worst drought in a thousand years has been ravaging the region since the late 1990s and that caused an explosion of radicalism.

Sudan? Darfur? Look at all that drought.

You think weather patterns disrupting fragile crops are just going to drive the cauliflower prices up? No, it's going to cause unprecedented mass migrations, like the one currently going down in Europe. It's going to cause clashes of culture that flare into violence, like Europe.

You think we won't see the bad effects of climate collapse in our lifetimes? We already are, go read the news, it's only a matter of time before that shitshow comes to every shore.

Related: that James Hansen paper suggesting that the ice sheet melt-global warming feedback loop is non-linear just made it through peer review.

You know, the one that said we might want to prepare for 2-5 meter sea level rise by the end of the century.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Tree Bucket posted:

I'd like to know more about this, and not just because my part of the world's seen record heat, coral bleaching, bushfires in places that aren't supposed to get bushfires, etc. Would people just... move away for the worst of summer and one year never come back? And anyone want to guess what happens when it's too hot for the Hajj?

Here you go.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
We must keep carbon in the ground.

quote:

Here, using simulations from four comprehensive Earth system models, we demonstrate that CO2-attributable warming continues to increase approximately linearly up to 5 EgC emissions. These models simulate, in response to 5 EgC of CO2 emissions, global mean warming of 6.4–9.5 °C, mean Arctic warming of 14.7–19.5 °C, and mean regional precipitation increases by more than a factor of four. These results indicate that the unregulated exploitation of the fossil fuel resource could ultimately result in considerably more profound climate changes than previously suggested.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Arkane posted:

Not all El Ninos are the same. Look at 1998. Multiyear trends is what we want to be focusing on.

Which trend do you mean? :allears:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Thanks to that El Niño, northeastern peach farmers lost 90% of their crop :toot:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
June was the 14th consecutive hottest [month] on record. :toot:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Placid Marmot posted:

Just checking if this is a joke or not.
Like, it has a weak magnetic field, air pressure 90 times that of the Earth, and air temperature of 450C+.
I just can't spot the sarcasm - help me out.

Maybe Rime left the aerostat part of the typical colonization plan unsaid? Just spitballing here, though.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

ChairMaster posted:

Geoengineering ideas may be ridiculous and dangerous proposals towards preventing the end of global human civilisation due to catastrophic climate change, but if anyone in this thread or anywhere else things that a political solution is possible now, or that one will ever be possible at any point in time, they are either fooling themselves or a complete idiot.

On that note, you'll be glad to hear that the House of Representatives is finally doing something about the revelation that Exxon knew about global warming all along. (You will be unsurprised to find out what that "something" is.)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
So what's it gonna be like, living in RCP8.5?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

VectorSigma posted:

I would have loved to see the look on Trump's face when his military intelligence briefing told him that climate change is real and that it's a major national security issue and of great strategic importance.

Probably scoffed and refused to acknowledge it like he did the Russian hacks

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

WaryWarren posted:

goddamn, i say. it went up over the weekend but plunged again in the past three days.

Has this graph been independently verified? Posters above have questioned the numbers going in to it and no one has rebutted the issues raised. I too tried to find the numbers that went into it, and had the same trouble validating it.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Stereotype posted:

I'm apparently better at googling than everyone:

It comes from a user at a forum called "Arctic Sea Ice Forum" https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=19

I linked to his post history because he has a lot of details as to how he is making these plots and why. The data is from the National Snow and Ice Data Center (https://www.nsidc.org which is funded by NASA) but isn't what I would call "user friendly." I am not a climate scientist so I don't really know what assumptions he is making or why, but he seems to be doing a fairly small amount of manipulation to the data (either a calibration or a normalization).

He seems to have a script that keeps a daily updated version of the graph here: https://sites.google.com/site/arctischepinguin/home/sea-ice-extent-area/grf/nsidc_global_extent_byyear_b.png
He also posts the data and tools used to generate the graph here: https://sites.google.com/site/arctischepinguin/home/sea-ice-extent-area

It is real. The concentration of sea ice as measured by microwave satellite imagers is significantly lower than previous years. I don't know how bad that is, but since we are especially wary of "tipping point" sudden change type events it definitely isn't good.

Thanks for the links. I'll take a deeper look.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Oh hey, an overwhelming majority of Americans want to keep a climate deal that we voted to get rid of.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Good news! Global warming is just the modern version of the flat-earth theory!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Welp, you can put the final nail in the coffin of the nuclear renaissance now.