Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Personally, because it's a cesspool that I don't want to wade into. If I'm talking to someone who doesn't already agree that it's better to save a human's life than a deer's, then I'd rather find someone else to talk to.

Incidentally, that's the same reason I was hoping you'd look up what "intrinsic" means on your own instead of continuing to insist that I explain something to you that you can Google. As such, I'm bowing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

THE BEATWEAVER posted:

RE: Seafood.

I maintain that the developed world needs to sign a strict moratorium on all fishing activity and utilize their considerably military power to patrol and sink any fishing vessels caught within their waters. No mercy, they surrender they still go down with all hands, because at this stage the life of a human is worth considerably less than that of the lowly pollock. It's the only way the fuckers will learn to pick a different profession. :colbert:

That's just loving stupid. Sustainable fishery management is quite possible with proper monitoring and enforcement. If a state doesn't have the political will needed to enact effective fishery management, how do you expect your fantasy scenario is going to come to pass?

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 21, 2018

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

THE BEATWEAVER posted:

There is no such thing as sustainable fishery management at the current level of stock collapse. We either cease all commercial fishing activity for at least a century and kill anyone caught engaging in it, or we do not have fish within our lifetimes.

NOAA oversees US fishery populations in addition to conducting climate research and says that Alaska's programs are working just fine. Sustainable fishery management is part of their state constitution.

You also avoided the question. If we can't get developed nations to even adopt sustainable programs, where do you think the political will to enact your boat-sinking fantasy is going to come from?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Fly to every continent to take pictures of roofs.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The ones that got distracted about marginally reducing their cotton footprint didn’t.

PYF has a "pictures of cats" thread. There's not any reason for you to actually be here.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

If you own a cotton plantation then changing how you produce cotton is a meaningful change as opposed to just being a guy trying to personal responsibility their cotton footprint.

What you continually miss is that people inspire others to make similar changes, companies who want to sell products to people who made those changes will also make those changes, and politicians who want votes from people who made those changes and/or financial backing from companies who made those changes will support legislation for those changes.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

OhYeah posted:

That is true. How much do we need to increase atmospheric CO2 until it becomes acutely toxic to humans? Around 150 times. No, not by 150%, 150 times (around 60-70k ppm). Considering the highest it has been in the last 500 million years is around 7000 ppm, I'm not really that worried.

Humans also aren't the only living creatures on the planet, oddly enough. A non-toxic effect of increased CO2 concentrations for grain crops is that they seed less and grow more, decreasing crop yields.

e: Incidentally, there's not a single "talking point" you've attempted to raise that isn't answered here: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php, so gently caress off and come back when you've got an issue you can't answer yourself with google.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 30, 2018

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Greater than zero, you disingenuous jackass. Decarbonization is going to come as an aggregate of multiple reductions.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Gortarius posted:

Also once the poo poo is up there, is there any way to get it back down if there is some unforeseen cooling effect from somewhere else and now it's headed towards -4c instead of +4c?

Sulfur dioxide comes back down on its own as acid rain. Seeding the air with sulfates is something that would have to be done continuously to maintain the cooling effect.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Dawncloack posted:

is there a thread for planting stuff/weather proofing houses/composting/greenhouse building etc.etc.?

I.think a thread dealing.with the intersection of adaptation to climate change and homeownership could be interesting.

DIY is probably the best forum for that. If there's no thread on it there, you could always start one.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Rime posted:

Despite being certain that things are out of control and we're going to see unprecedented agony as our civilization enters its death throes over the next decade, I'm now working on a degree in Environmental Engineering at age 30.

I just graduated (at age 40) in May with a bachelor's in environmental engineering. Make sure you do an internship. I didn't and I'm finding it difficult to get my foot in the door anywhere.

twodot posted:

Abandon the concept of making decisions based on cost efficiency?

You're attempting to reason with someone who is totally okay with emitting gigatons of CO2 for entirely superfluous purposes. Is it all that surprising that they're taking a "we can't ever really know anything" stance?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

friendbot2000 posted:

I do believe that the environment is a more important issue than...well everything. Progrees against racism, sexism, income inequality....don't really matter if there is no planet to live and everyone is dead. A lot of people I talk to don't think about it that way because racism and sexism etc affects them now and in tangible ways.

Climate change affects them tangibly right now, too. Live on the east coast of the US? Enjoy your hurricanes. The west coast? Enjoy your wildfires. Central US? Enjoy your alternating drought/flood precipitation patterns. Sure, you were getting them anyway, but now you get them more frequently and/or more intensely. It's just hard for the average person to notice because it's a slow rate of change.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I love how desperately he clings to any excuse to avoid thinking about his own particular source of superfluous carbon emissions.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Compared to going after energy generation or transportation where you can make huge gains.

Did you just self-own?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Rime posted:

It would be better for the planet if we went with the virus route and stopped viewing human life as holding any form of intrinsic value at this stage.

A salmon is more precious than any of us, sorry natalists. :shrug:

You may want to rethink this environmental engineer thing. Protecting human health is sort of what we do.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Gortarius posted:

Is there any idea who is going to be the replacement?

There's a guy from the US with about a year of experience in a similar job.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

this broken hill posted:

bioremediation you dumbasses. you absolute plebs

Sorry fuckwit, but it's not going to save us.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I know bioremediation techniques and their limitations, jackass. It's part of what I had to learn to get my degree. It's not a magic bullet that can solve climate change. If you think otherwise, do something besides threadshit for once and explain how you think it works, so I can tell you why you're a moron (beyond the obvious).

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Sep 2, 2018

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Accretionist posted:

Any opinions on 'best bets' or directions research should go?

Bioremediation is awesome for cleaning up hydrocarbon releases... by turning it into CO2 and water. It's also useful for some metals and heavy metals. It can even degrade some plastics... by turning it into CO2, methane, and water.

Bioremediation/biosequestration techniqes for dealing with greenhouse gases hit the same hurdles as any other carbon capture technique: scaleability to a rate of capture that's going to matter, non-GHG inputs (energy and nutrients, for bio techniques), and fate of the products. Yes, it's a cheap way to solve the energy input problem by making it solar. Microbial techniques could also effectively eliminate the scaleability hurdles of other techniques, but trade them in for problems with fate of the technique (which I would argue is a scaleability problem).

To reach the rate of carbon capture required for viability, we're looking at an autotrophic microbe of some sort and environmental release of said microbe (even if we did create a vat big enough to contain them by building a wall around Texas or whatever, it would need air and sunlight). What are plants going to do when they have competition for CO2, competition which we can't easily stuff back in the box?

Then there's still the problem of "what do we do with all the products". Your first posts in this thread are an example (though referring to a mechanical solution): what are we going to do with a cubic mile of ethanol? Plus, environmental release of the microbes means environmental release of the products.

So, we'd need microbes that require a source of nutrition that we could both control (to prevent uncontrolled releases from getting a foothold) and supply in the vast amount required. We'd also need them to create a diverse range of products that are in high demand and that we're okay with destroying the existing market for, some of which won't just release the CO2 back into the atmosphere anytime in the foreseeable future.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

qkkl posted:

This site seems to indicate that little research has been done on the effects of water vapor on global warming, despite water vapor being the most abundant greenhouse gas.

Read it again. They know it's a positive feedback loop (generates more warming), where they're claiming confusion is in exactly how strong it is.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Rime posted:

That's one of the dumbest loving proposals I have ever seen. Taking what has remained a miraculously dry-rear end open pit mine and filling it with clean water so that you can instead have two big toxic acid-rock drainage ponds in the middle of Joshua Tree just to generate some power is so loving stupid that loving fuckity gently caress gently caress gently caress loving dumb gently caress.

Did you read the environmental assessment? The BLM had a finding of no significant environmental impact for the project.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I can't read Dutch, so is this article just telling people who've never had a chemistry class that Henry's Law is a thing or is there more to it?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

In addition to the above, the author isn't a climate scientist and revisits several denialist canards. I think it's safe to write him off as yet another physicist who thinks he's qualified to challenge the consensus of other disciplines.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Don't sleep. That's when the marauders will steal all your food.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

avshalemon posted:

i've asked this several times and got no answer but i'll ask again, are any of you actually doing anything or are you just sitting in your air-conditioned city apartments going DURR HURR about poo poo you have never seen firsthand and know absolutely nothing about

Did you bother reading the thread at all? Several folks have stated what they do in their communities to help. No one owes you a list, you entitled poo poo.

Personally, I got a degree in environmental engineering specifically to get a job helping underdeveloped communities deal with water shortages and environmental remediation.

Take your assumptions and shove them so far up your own rear end that they never come out again.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 2, 2018

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

The US military can't legally spend money on a particular thing without a Congressional appropriations bill allowing it.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

As usual, you're wrong about everything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Filter

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

You might be interested in the last chapter of the Michael Lewis book that just came out, The Fifth Risk. While the book largely focuses on the Trump administration's lack of effort to run (or even understand) the government it unexpectedly found itself in charge of and the consequences of that, the chapter itself talks about the effort by NOAA to get more people to take immediate action about the possibility of being caught in a tornado. Doing something as simple as changing the terminology from "tornado warning" to "tornado emergency" may have increased the percentage of people who took preventative action, leading to fewer per-capita fatalities.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

How are u posted:

:rolleyes:

Don't hate the player, friend. Climate Change is the all-consuming bugaboo of my life, much like the rest of us sad sacks here. I just recognize that, apart from not having a kid (done) and voting for people who accept reality and acknowledge that government must do something, anything else I try to do is a mouse fart in the middle of a hurricane. You can tut-tut all you want, but that's just how it is, and I'm honest enough to admit that I'm not going to give up extremely enjoyable and fulfilling opportunities for nothing.

This is an odd statement, because "the action of one individual doesn't matter" is the rationale people use for not voting.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think the extreme hyperfocus this thread has on my vacations is a super clear example of weird misdirection of attention based on bad metrics of what does or doesn't meaningfully contribute to climate change.

It's because you can't stop bringing it up, you dumb gently caress.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Slavvy posted:

The money has to come from somewhere.

If the Modern Monetary Theory folks are correct*, just print US dollars to cover the cost, send the panels to wherever, and list the cost as part of this year's federal deficit. Used sparingly - such as when averting society-transforming disasters - the fallout from doing so would be far less than that of taking no action.

* I'm not 100% convinced, but I have yet to hear a rebuttal that breaks it down into layman's terms that the MMT economists don't have a counter-rebuttal for.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Rime posted:

This was, obviously, a subtext which either hit so close to home that it triggered the gently caress out of the lot of ya, or just too subtle for your superior right-thinking minds to grasp.

You should probably stare at a galaxy brain meme until that thought goes away. What part of "individual behavior is the gateway to collective behavior" is difficult for fuckwits like you and OOCC to grasp?

Is it because "we don't have time"? If 1.5-2 C of warming is the thing we're trying to avoid, sure. That ship has sailed. There are always worse scenarios we can avoid, though.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 21, 2018

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Rime posted:

Unless you are actively dismantling the system, there are billions of other people without self awareness who are happy to keep eating McD's in your place and feeding the economic steamroller which is engaged in the industrial destruction of our biosphere.

You not flying or switching to a (agriculturally intensive and responsible for tropical deforestation) vegan diet means jack poo poo. You moving to a mud hut in the woods and going primitive means Jack. poo poo. There is no individual winning play here except for one. Get it?

We have at best a decade left before processes ensure our climate is guaranteed to kill off most sentient life present on the planet, and as far as we've been able to determine, our galaxy.

I could give two shits if some dude is flying around petting cats. gently caress.

No, this is just sadbrains poo poo that you believe. Cite your sources for these two things:

Stupid and wrong thing you and OOCC believe #1: individual action never inspires collective action. My rebuttal? The civil rights and gay rights movements.

Stupid and wrong thing you (and possibly OOCC) believe #2: climate change, if left unmitigated for no more than a decade, will lead to the net human population going below half of what it is now. That's not in the IPCC report, you just want to believe it.

e:

ChairMaster posted:

It's straight up farcical to pretend like there's any individual action (that we're allowed to talk about) can make an actual difference in the eventual fate of the world's climate. Anyone who thinks that the reduction of their own carbon footprint is in any way meaningful has no idea what the actual scope of the problem we face is.

Cite your sources for #1, please.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 21, 2018

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Nocturtle posted:

I actually sort of agree with govt here, in that this is a conflict that should be mediated through the political process. Americans have come to rely too much on the court system (and the Supreme Court in particular) to cover up for the shortcomings of their broken political system. In practice every single possible avenue needs to be pursued, and the court system has advantages as it's nominally supposed to consider actual evidence and facts (things no longer relevant to political discourse).

But using the judicial branch as a check on the executive and/or legislative branch is part of the political process. People don't lose the right to protest what the government is doing when an election ends.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

ChairMaster posted:

I can think of a lot of much more useful things that a group of people that large could have done than block a road for a day or two and get themselves arrested. Maybe something that would actually have made a difference.

I wonder what it could be.

Probably the same thing that got you a month's probation the last time you tried skirting the rules this way.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

AceOfFlames posted:

Then I learn that collapse is imminent.

Don't believe everything you read, especially if it couldn't pass peer review.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Rime posted:

Somebody's gotta post the news. :shrug:

Quiet week so far.

Links to articles with barely a blurb posted by someone who usually doesn't understand what they read anyway? What service do you think you're providing that we can't get from a news feed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

qkkl posted:

I'm talking about the relationship between change in temperature and humidity. So for a given environment, what would be the effects on humidity if the temperature increases or decreases.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=psychrometric+chart