Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Accipiter posted:

The CISSP is good for managers that want to pretend they're technical.

By itself, that's literally all it's good for.

Any certification not backed by relevant experience is useless. CISSP is no different. I've had a CISSP since 2001 and it has been *very* useful in showing employers I am broadly well informed on InfoSec. I am not now, and never have been, a manager. I am a Unix admin/architect who went into security because OS admin got boring.

In other words, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

every single person that i've worked with with a CISSP, bar none, is an annoyingly stupid dipshit who shouldn't be allowed access to a computer

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
sounds like you need a new job. perhaps a cissp would help

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
Took the example quiz on the CISSP website and got 11/16 correct. I think I might have a new career ahead of me (I’ve never worked with or in tech)

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I work with hundreds of Information Security Professionals. None of them know poo poo about computers.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

That’s like 95% of people anyways.

Selling your time and labor for more money is a good thing. Get the checkmark cert that helps you do so.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Diva Cupcake posted:

That’s like 95% of people anyways.

Selling your time and labor for more money is a good thing. Get the checkmark cert that helps you do so.

This. There are good people with CISSPs, there are bad people with CISSPs, its more coincidence that its a cert that gets aimed at managers and above, doesn't make it useless or people having it useless.

Like anything - judge them based on their works and actual knowledge than the sheet of paper.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

quote:

someone who's got a CISSP but can't or won't run an incident response exercise.

lmao I have a CISSP but if you need me to run an incident response exercise I suggest you sell tickets because that is not going to be a comedy.

e: I mean it'll probably go better than letting some rando do it, just because of the years of experience, but like.. if there's a CISSP way to run it, I sure as hell forgot what that is by now :q:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

some kinda jackal posted:

lmao I have a CISSP but if you need me to run an incident response exercise I suggest you sell tickets because that is not going to be a comedy.

e: I mean it'll probably go better than letting some rando do it, just because of the years of experience, but like.. if there's a CISSP way to run it, I sure as hell forgot what that is by now :q:

That's be more ITIL anyhow, no? Plus remembering contain, eradicate, etc.

The hallmark of a paper CISSP is still the drat CIA triangle, I'll admit that

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 24, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OTOH our incident response processes are all executable playbooks so I guess arguably being a CISSP proves I am at least literate, so maybe I do stand a fighting chance.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Hey remember that Palo vuln?

https://www.cisa.gov/news-events/al...ewall-platforms

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

cissp is a huge door opener, who is ragging on it that hard

it's battering ram. accept that and wield it if it helps you collect more money from employers who are already exploiting your labor value

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It would be nice if the thing that formally qualified you for job also gave you some kind of actual skills that would make you better at your job. It feels a bit inefficient to have a whole lot of studying plus an ecosystem of study help just to have a piece of paper saying "this guy passed our test I guess". But that's hardly unique to cissp

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BonHair posted:

It would be nice if the thing that formally qualified you for job also gave you some kind of actual skills that would make you better at your job. It feels a bit inefficient to have a whole lot of studying plus an ecosystem of study help just to have a piece of paper saying "this guy passed our test I guess". But that's hardly unique to cissp

It costs a thousand dollars, requires a specific kind of degree, and 5 years experience. It also require CE's to upkeep. The test is just a front for the club fee and the rest is suppose to gatekeep the non-desirables.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Sickening posted:

It costs a thousand dollars, requires a specific kind of degree, and 5 years experience. It also require CE's to upkeep. The test is just a front for the club fee and the rest is suppose to gatekeep the non-desirables.

They didn't offer to pay for your retake?

I mean seriously, you've had several people tell you how valuable they find it, so just move on. Complaining it takes CE's to upkeep when you can read a book, or attend a vendor presentation, or a webinar - yeah, you have to actually try to stay SOMEWHAT updated on modern tech. For example, I did the Stanford crypto course on Coursera, which gave me dozens of hours in return for an annual Coursera fee, but there's free options.

pre:
Rollover - Term ending 2025-06-30	CPE Rollover	07/01/2022	07/01/2022	4.25	A		Accepted
Cryptography I	Courses and Seminars - Other	08/05/2022	09/02/2022	23	A	Accepted	
Enterprise Management and Security	Courses and Seminars - Other	01/01/2024	01/03/2024	12	A	Accepted	
Coursera - Linux Server Management and Security	Online webinars, podcasts and other online materials	01/01/2024	01/08/2024	13	A	Accepted	
My CPE for my CISSP - those were $400 a year for a Coursera membership and it's more than a full year's CPE. My boss lets me expense Coursera because last year I took a SANS ICS course and it was 20x the cost for fewer hours. And you can take ANYTHING ELSE Coursera offers. I just did the Stanford ML specialization for fun.

There's TONS of free stuff you can do to earn CPEs. And my CISSP CPE can be used for my CRISC or CISM to boot, or other certs I might get.

Having spoken to Cisco about this ASA/FTD issue:

- if your ASA or FTD VPN gateway hasn't been rebooting spontaneously in the last weeks, you're probably not hit.
- the Cisco "enter your OS version and we'll tell you what version you need to upgrade to" is a PoS

pre:
Hi Rust,

If you haven’t seen any spontaneous reboot in the last couple of weeks, it is unlikely you will see more tonight. The exploit details are not widely available and I would expect reverse-engineering the patch would take a bit of time…
In addition, this vulnerability alone shouldn’t do much: it’s “just” a DoS. The two other ones require admin access as pointed by (colleague).

HTH,
(Cisco Firewall SME)
also rolled a short python script to crawl fw logs for IP listed in https://blog.talosintelligence.com/arcanedoor-new-espionage-focused-campaign-found-targeting-perimeter-network-devices/ from Talos

pre:
# ./arcane_check.py
Opened  /logdata/2024-04-24/10.xxx.yyy.zzz-2024-04-24.log
Slurping...
Read in 52556917 lines...
Scanning...
100.0%
#
no hits, so tiny yay. off to make it run on the last month

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 24, 2024

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Rust Martialis posted:

They didn't offer to pay for your retake?

I mean seriously, you've had several people tell you how valuable they find it, so just move on. Complaining it takes CE's to upkeep when you can read a book, or attend a vendor presentation, or a webinar - yeah, you have to actually try to stay SOMEWHAT updated on modern tech. For example, I did the Stanford crypto course on Coursera, which gave me dozens of hours in return for an annual Coursera fee, but there's free options.

pre:
Rollover - Term ending 2025-06-30	CPE Rollover	07/01/2022	07/01/2022	4.25	A		Accepted
Cryptography I	Courses and Seminars - Other	08/05/2022	09/02/2022	23	A	Accepted	
Enterprise Management and Security	Courses and Seminars - Other	01/01/2024	01/03/2024	12	A	Accepted	
Coursera - Linux Server Management and Security	Online webinars, podcasts and other online materials	01/01/2024	01/08/2024	13	A	Accepted	
My CPE for my CISSP - those were $400 a year for a Coursera membership and it's more than a full year's CPE. My boss lets me expense Coursera because last year I took a SANS ICS course and it was 20x the cost for fewer hours. And you can take ANYTHING ELSE Coursera offers. I just did the Stanford ML specialization for fun.

There's TONS of free stuff you can do to earn CPEs. And my CISSP CPE can be used for my CRISC or CISM to boot, or other certs I might get.

Having spoken to Cisco about this ASA/FTD issue:

- if your ASA or FTD VPN gateway hasn't been rebooting spontaneously in the last weeks, you're probably not hit.
- the Cisco "enter your OS version and we'll tell you what version you need to upgrade to" is a PoS

pre:
Hi Rust,

If you haven’t seen any spontaneous reboot in the last couple of weeks, it is unlikely you will see more tonight. The exploit details are not widely available and I would expect reverse-engineering the patch would take a bit of time…
In addition, this vulnerability alone shouldn’t do much: it’s “just” a DoS. The two other ones require admin access as pointed by (colleague).

HTH,
(Cisco Firewall SME)
also rolled a short python script to crawl fw logs for IP listed in https://blog.talosintelligence.com/arcanedoor-new-espionage-focused-campaign-found-targeting-perimeter-network-devices/ from Talos

You and I aren't having an argument on if its valuable.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

although i have mixed feelings about the way a lot of 'ZTNA' poo poo actually works (lots of them doing layer 7 proxy stuff instead of working on layer 3 like a traditional vpn) i'm ready to see running stuff like vpn on your edge die. use tailscale or something if ztna is too stupid for your use case. too bad prisma just piggybacks on GP infra/your edge firewalls iirc.

Sickening posted:

cissp requires a specific kind of degree? do you mean in lieu of work experience?

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 24, 2024

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Speaking as someone who has problems staying motivated in learning specific stuff on my personal time for more than a month at a time, the CISSP feels like it exists specifically to block my advancement because it requires a lot of very specific niche knowledge but very little real world knowledge. But holy crap is it hard to get past doors without it or a college degree to my name.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Sickening posted:

requires a specific kind of degree

gently caress, don't tell ISC(2) that I majored in English, they'll have me flogged and send me to McDonalds

(no it does not lol)

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

chin up everything sucks posted:

Speaking as someone who has problems staying motivated in learning specific stuff on my personal time for more than a month at a time, the CISSP feels like it exists specifically to block my advancement because it requires a lot of very specific niche knowledge but very little real world knowledge. But holy crap is it hard to get past doors without it or a college degree to my name.

I didn't find it required niche knowledge, it requires broad knowledge of many distinct areas in IT security. If you only know Windows desktop security and never looked at crypto, physical security, or anything else, you probably won't pass. Most of us don't "do" physical security for instance, but physical security isn't a niche, knowing how to build physically secure locations to perform data processing - including resiliency - is a core part of InfoSec. Badge access, man traps, cameras, breakage sensors, water underfloor sensors, etc. That's all "real world" stuff. You may just not care about it. Or you may! Either way it's part of the CISSP. (Or it was in 2001 when I took it.)

If you only want to do l33t h4kk3r stuff, get a CEH or something.

One "trivial" question I tripped over was "what of the following is not a type of covert channel" question I still recall from 23 years ago. I could argue that knowing every type of covert channel shouldn't be relevant to the CISSP, I suppose. I did blue-slip one question. Never heard back.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The first vuln they list is definitely a gnarly one. The other two however seem like cases of "it rather involved being on the other side of this airtight hatchway"; if you can write to flash0:, you've already won.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

The first vuln they list is definitely a gnarly one. The other two however seem like cases of "it rather involved being on the other side of this airtight hatchway"; if you can write to flash0:, you've already won.

The comment "the original vector is unknown" or some such

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I did a bunch of security work for years in my primarily network focused job, but could never get my foot in the door in the industry. Then I bought a 12th hour CISSP book and one other and studied for a few months and got my CISSP.

It immediately opened a ton of doors for me. I was getting calls back left and right for interviews and thats how I got started. 10/10 would recommend. Its an easy test and most companies pay the renewal fee anyway.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Is CISSP the one where you have to learn risk management formulas? That's basically the only reason I haven't shot for it is because my greatest weakness is remembering formulas I literally never use.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Its like two if I remember right, and they werent hard. Something about mean time to recovery and business loss or some such.

Anyway its a trivial amount to memorize before the test and shouldnt dissuade you in the least.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sickening posted:

These titles are loving killing me. I don't even know what this person would even loving do.

Security, devops, and engineering. Duh!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I'm sure the real answer is they do absolutely loving nothing.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I'm sure the real answer is they do absolutely loving nothing.

Maybe they run the source code vulnerability scanner? Secure coding practices are a thing, SDLC yada yada

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Rust Martialis posted:

Maybe they run the source code vulnerability scanner? Secure coding practices are a thing, SDLC yada yada
You need a whole testing harness with static analysis, address-/memory/concurrency-/undefined behaviour-sanitizers with coverage integration so you can run them all individually and in combination and across the whole codebase with and without fuzzing, and definitely a few more things I'm forgetting, not to mention the dozen other forms of testing that isn't covered by the above.

Someone who doesn't know what a private IP address space wouldn't even know how to look up any of those.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

You need a whole testing harness with static analysis, address-/memory/concurrency-/undefined behaviour-sanitizers with coverage integration so you can run them all individually and in combination and across the whole codebase with and without fuzzing, and definitely a few more things I'm forgetting, not to mention the dozen other forms of testing that isn't covered by the above.

Someone who doesn't know what a private IP address space wouldn't even know how to look up any of those.

He paid the consultants to set up whatever sounded good, and now he forwards the results to you randomly, sometimes with cryptic/moronic notes, and makes it your problem to remediate CVE 16-5316464: SMB vuln in Windows ME that is pointing to the RedHat build server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

Potato Salad posted:

cissp is a huge door opener, who is ragging on it that hard

it's battering ram. accept that and wield it if it helps you collect more money from employers who are already exploiting your labor value

Do what I did instead and get a PhD, which simultaneously closes doors and sucks up prime career advancement years (and you will still get screened on certs)