Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BonHair posted:

I still believe that GDPR was written by people who knew how loving wild it was, but passed the political layer without anyone noticing. And they're rolling out NIS2 for critical infrastructure (including subprocessors) and DORA for banking, it's gonna be fun to see the fallout of those too.
I wish I could agree wholeheartedly, but the GDPR legitimate interest clauses (47, 48, and 49) basically gives anyone a loophole big enough to drive a lorry through, and everyone's picked up on this.
What's even worse is that US lobbying that took place before the GDPR proposal was made public, so while the people who originally wrote it might have had the best of intentions, the US government still got their say.

Fixed the link for you.

Also, this is just the latest article in a long conversation that's been ongoing in parts of the IT industry, about how every single other installation technician has to go through some kind of training and certification process - and will face fines et cetera, if they gently caress up.
Contrast this with IT, where it's not just possible but quite likely that a computer toucher can end up having their software be an integral part of a large system with a security threat that it was never meant to stand up against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Wibla posted:

Do you have a link to more info about this?

https://www.securityweek.com/destructive-ics-malware-fuxnet-used-by-ukraine-against-russian-infrastructure/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

some kinda jackal posted:

Congrats and sorry in advance, I don't think this thread counts toward a CPE :[

we’re getting to the point in the yospos secfuck thread where it’s starting to feel like it should count, from the WebPKI content alone

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

yospos secfuck thread

gently caress, why isn't that in my bookmarks!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

it's been absolute gold lately too

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

we got Amir!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

we got Amir!
                                  \

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Subjunctive posted:

we got Amir!

:yeah: We're all cheering for the man.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Who's Amir?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Amir is everyone.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

(Amir is a guy at Google—I think?—who is involved in the WebPKI root programs and is asking tough questions in Entrust’s root program compliance incident reports.)

https://open.substack.com/pub/webpki/p/entrust-considered-harmful-part-1

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

some kinda jackal posted:

gently caress, why isn't that in my bookmarks!

SECFUCKTHREAD

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Subjunctive posted:

(Amir is a guy at Google—I think?—who is involved in the WebPKI root programs and is asking tough questions in Entrust’s root program compliance incident reports.)

https://open.substack.com/pub/webpki/p/entrust-considered-harmful-part-1

God drat it, we just got couple expensive signing certificates from Entrust.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

welcome to my world

I have a whole mess of entrust issued OV certs

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Sounds like things are getting bad out there with the Palo exploit. RIP to all the IR teams

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

RIP to my mailbox. Why the gently caress did I sign up for Palo Alto updates? I don't even have a PAN.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

rafikki posted:

Sounds like things are getting bad out there with the Palo exploit. RIP to all the IR teams

:dogstare::hf::unsmigghh:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Our network security guys are in the middle of upgrading from 10.1 on our old PA VPN boxes and have been high fiving each other every day they hadn't finished the upgrade to an affected version yet

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Rust Martialis posted:

Our network security guys are in the middle of upgrading from 10.1 on our old PA VPN boxes and have been high fiving each other every day they hadn't finished the upgrade to an affected version yet

When I notified our network team about the PA vuln, the response I got back was essentially
“We’re on 10.1

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
I wrote a python script that monitors the ASA VPN logs for "Rejected" AAA sessions that then can issue shun commands once they exceed a threshold. Debating using it. Currently seeing a mess of IPaddr with very round numbers of Rejected attempts daily (exactly 1000 for example). Also reporting them to Talos.

No user fat fingers their VPN session THAT often. Thinking 50 is a massive overkill threshold.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

MustardFacial posted:

When I notified our network team about the PA vuln, the response I got back was essentially
“We’re on 10.1

That's the same basic response I sent my director who's been getting on my rear end about not upgrading to 10.2 yet.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Earlier today I had an admin try to tell me that the dev environment they manage didn't need a documented security baseline because putting it behind VDI desktops was enough of a mitigation.

Yes, I'm sure that's what the CMMC auditors will agree with when they ask why this node of our in-scope systems has no documented baselines.

I'd wish that all the mouthbreathing, knuckle-dragging, lazy-as-gently caress admins would just get paid to stay home but then we'd have like 1/25th of the staff needed to do anything.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Had to explain to a "Senior Security Devops Engineer" today how private IP space works, jfc

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

tadashi posted:

Earlier today I had an admin try to tell me that the dev environment they manage didn't need a documented security baseline because putting it behind VDI desktops was enough of a mitigation.

Yes, I'm sure that's what the CMMC auditors will agree with when they ask why this node of our in-scope systems has no documented baselines.

I'd wish that all the mouthbreathing, knuckle-dragging, lazy-as-gently caress admins would just get paid to stay home but then we'd have like 1/25th of the staff needed to do anything.

I feel this and I hear you.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sirotan posted:

Had to explain to a "Senior Security Devops Engineer" today how private IP space works, jfc

These titles are loving killing me. I don't even know what this person would even loving do.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I didn't get a job in "IT Security" until 3 years ago because... 14 years ago, when IT security started being buzz word and companies started rolling out CISSP paper mills, I figured these the engineer/admin field and "security" field was about merge. I was doing "IT Security" (automating audit alerts, writing SOPs, writing POA&Ms for my boss because he wanted to see what big issues were out there and when I'd have them fixed) becuase otherwise I got to spend entire weekends rebuilding environments.

I was not just wrong. I was what I now refer to as "gently caress-me-in-the goat-rear end" wrong. Now, I have to defend why someone should hire me instead of someone who's been a "security analyst" for 5 years but can't make a network diagram or someone who's got a CISSP but can't or won't run an incident response exercise.

Get your CISSP or some high level security cert yesterday, folks.

I mean some places now have rolled toward DevSecOps, but good luck finding them.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 23, 2024

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

tadashi posted:

Get your CISSP or some high level security cert yesterday, folks.
A few of us have been preaching that for years. Yes, CISSP is mostly bullshit surface level questioning that anyone could knock out in a couple months. Yes, it's management-brained. But it's also an A+ career move whether it should be or not. It removes filters and you will earn more money.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I’m in a CISSP boot camp this week. We’re currently on slide 208/709 :smith:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Diva Cupcake posted:

A few of us have been preaching that for years. Yes, CISSP is mostly bullshit surface level questioning that anyone could knock out in a couple months.

challenge: beat my exam time

55 minutes

(I passed)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sickening posted:

These titles are loving killing me. I don't even know what this person would even loving do.

He sends me vuln scan reports. :)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

rafikki posted:

I’m in a CISSP boot camp this week. We’re currently on slide 208/709 :smith:

I am sure others will disagree, but this stupid exam is just loving trivia. It deserves nothing more of your time than a phone app with practice tests to practice on. Even with the dynamic rigging they try to throw at you, there is nothing hard about this stupid test.

The "value" is the gatekeeping.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

So it's the MBA of IT qualifications then

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Probably a similar impact without the 2 year commitment.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
The CISSP is good for managers that want to pretend they're technical.

By itself, that's literally all it's good for.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Defenestrategy posted:

I feel this and I hear you.

for those of us religiously reading secfuck at the moment, I think we all flinched at reading this

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sirotan posted:

DevOps and SRE types seem to have more developer experience, which usually means next to no actual network and infrastructure experience.

I've also had to explain this multiple times to SREs/DevOps, shockingly these guys want to deploy their own infrastructure as code, yet don't know the first thing about it.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I was going to start on a path to take the CISSP, but I hear it just changed / is changing? I'm assuming any material out there for it now is out of date?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Sickening posted:

I am sure others will disagree, but this stupid exam is just loving trivia. It deserves nothing more of your time than a phone app with practice tests to practice on. Even with the dynamic rigging they try to throw at you, there is nothing hard about this stupid test.

The "value" is the gatekeeping.

So far, it's mostly trivia. I'm sorta surprised by how much I already know, but I guess I shouldn't be. I'm also a little surprised by how poor of a grasp some of the other people in the course have on PKI, but again I know I shouldn't be.

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I was going to start on a path to take the CISSP, but I hear it just changed / is changing? I'm assuming any material out there for it now is out of date?

It changed last week, extremely minor modification to the weighting of two sections apparently. Literally one section is weighted 1% more, the other 1% less.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Raymond T. Racing posted:

for those of us religiously reading secfuck at the moment, I think we all flinched at reading this

We share this understanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

digitalist posted:

We share this understanding.

We have been posting for 20 years and advocating for a healthier posting ecosystem, but we consider this an exceptional circumstance and have decided not to delete our posts.