Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I use 1Pass at home and work. It's good. Can't compare it to Bitwarden, as I have never needed to use anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Rescue Toaster posted:

I'm dealing with a lovely device that has ancient HTTPS and modern firefox is officially reporting "gently caress You" when connecting to it.

An old Firefox 88 says the device uses TLS 1.0, TLS_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA 112Bit. Which, yeah... But old firefox could connect with the about :config tls deprecated setting on. The cert is RSA 1024.
Modern Firefox version 100+ refuses outright regardless of settings, I'm assuming everything has been compiled out. openssl won't even handshake enough to report literally anything even with -security_debug_verbose switch.

The device's management interface is already on a VLAN, but even then I question going to http. Or maybe these algorithms are so absolutely pathetic these days that it's effectively no effort compared to http.

Is there some setting in modern firefox or chromium I'm missing? Building my own version of something? A VM with an old version of firefox that only connects to that VLAN and never gets updated forever?

'gently caress you' is a bit vague, but my heart says check the cert is presenting a value in Subject Alternative Name (SAN). Ye olde certs just presented a Common Name and that's been deprecated for a few years.
Ancient devices might be using an ancient cert process that is deprecated.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Nukelear v.2 posted:

'gently caress you' is a bit vague, but my heart says check the cert is presenting a value in Subject Alternative Name (SAN). Ye olde certs just presented a Common Name and that's been deprecated for a few years.
Ancient devices might be using an ancient cert process that is deprecated.

It's NO_CIPHER_OVERLAP iirc. Pretty sure TLS 1.0 3DES is what is straight up compiled out and cannot be enabled by any switches. It does not even get to the point of receiving the server cert to look at it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It's not a surprise that 3DES is compiled out of Firefox given that known unmaintained hairball OpenSSL dumped it in 2016.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

3DES was something you kept around for IE6 on XP. It hasn't been relevant for like a decade.

Whenever I have problems like this I use a socat compiled against an old version of OpenSSL.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

It's not a surprise that 3DES is compiled out of Firefox given that known unmaintained hairball OpenSSL dumped it in 2016.

What's weird just from the perspective of this thread, is I can't find good info on when stuff like this was disabled, or at least it's conflicting. Everything implies this stuff was gone as far back as like, Firefox 44, and certainly by 76/77. But I definitely have a VM with a firefox 88 in it that still supports it.

It's also hard to know sometimes, ok this algorithm is deprecated. Is that because it's not considered 'strong enough' anymore? For what type of attacks? Or is it completely blown open, totally worthless, might as well just run unencrypted http. That sort of thing.

Yes I too would love to throw every piece of equipment in the trash bin the second openssl/firefox/whoever decides it's no longer good enough encryption to operate over the open internet, even though it lives on its own VLAN.

EDIT: To be clear, that's not even really sarcasm. I would totally chuck out anything I could immediately if it's not getting updates and is using old crypto. For another example, I have/had some smart switches that are good but the management interface is getting old and no more updates and I wouldn't be surprised if I start running into similar problems, I'm trying to figure out what to do with those too. I bought another more recent model, and... the web interface is ONLY http and cannot be disabled, or configure via some godawful windows app that uses entirely unknown crypto (if any) to configure it. It's somehow even worse than the old no-longer-being-updated poo poo.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 22, 2024

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
A major health care system provider got hacked today and I am chuckling. I am chuckling because they quoted us 25k to rotate the weak crypto we have on a vpn connection we have with their systems. Get hosed.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Rescue Toaster posted:

EDIT: To be clear, that's not even really sarcasm. I would totally chuck out anything I could immediately if it's not getting updates and is using old crypto. For another example, I have/had some smart switches that are good but the management interface is getting old and no more updates and I wouldn't be surprised if I start running into similar problems, I'm trying to figure out what to do with those too. I bought another more recent model, and... the web interface is ONLY http and cannot be disabled, or configure via some godawful windows app that uses entirely unknown crypto (if any) to configure it. It's somehow even worse than the old no-longer-being-updated poo poo.
Netgear’s managed switches do this and I just have to sweat it out behind someone else’s NAT.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Sickening posted:

A major health care system provider got hacked today and I am chuckling. I am chuckling because they quoted us 25k to rotate the weak crypto we have on a vpn connection we have with their systems. Get hosed.

Ooh? Who got popped?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

navyjack posted:

Ooh? Who got popped?

Change Healthcare

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sickening posted:

Change Healthcare

Seems like a reasonable idea, on the surface.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

spankmeister posted:

3DES was something you kept around for IE6 on XP. It hasn't been relevant for like a decade.

My friend, let me tell you about this little hellhole called electronic payments and emv lmao

:suicide:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

spankmeister posted:

Whenever I have problems like this I use a socat compiled against an old version of OpenSSL.
And if you're working with retro enterprise hardware, or a particularly frustrating production system, you've still got a VM with Windows XP and IE6.
:negative:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's a bit of a bell curve where stuff that is ancient has a serial port and you can still manage it easily in TYOOL 2024, then there's new stuff that has a management interface that a modern device can access, and in the middle is stuff from about 15 years ago that you might as well throw in a bin.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Speaking of cipher suites, Apple is upgrading iMessage to Kyber with forward secrecy.
https://twitter.com/matthew_d_green/status/1760324355991498999?s=20

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

There's a bit of a bell curve where stuff that is ancient has a serial port and you can still manage it easily in TYOOL 2024, then there's new stuff that has a management interface that a modern device can access, and in the middle is stuff from about 15 years ago that you might as well throw in a bin.

iLO and DRAC, I'm looking at you :colbert:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Diva Cupcake posted:

Speaking of cipher suites, Apple is upgrading iMessage to Kyber with forward secrecy.

... we're still working under the presumption that iMessage is compromised in the Chinese market right?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

some kinda jackal posted:

loving Supermicro IPMI with their loving java :argh:

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

spankmeister posted:

My favorite part was I had one Supermicro board where you seriously couldn't turn the IPMI off. And if you fail to plug in the special IPMI ethernet port, it just somehow becomes available on whatever ethernet port you DO plug in. So I connected the IPMI port to a switch that put it on a dead-end VLAN that connects to nothing, and it seemed happy with that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Diva Cupcake posted:

The secret being - if its available in China, Apple absolutely has already handed the keys to the government, because they are required to by law or China would absolutely not let them operate it. This has come up previously - Apple's privacy stuff is largely only really effective in the US/EU Elsewhere in Asia. China has already made deals with Apple.

Hey, at least on the modern iDRAC its HTML5 for the front end and remote console stuff.

Rescue Toaster posted:

My favorite part was I had one Supermicro board where you seriously couldn't turn the IPMI off. And if you fail to plug in the special IPMI ethernet port, it just somehow becomes available on whatever ethernet port you DO plug in. So I connected the IPMI port to a switch that put it on a dead-end VLAN that connects to nothing, and it seemed happy with that.

Ah yes, the 'Management Network'

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 22, 2024

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Potato Salad posted:

... we're still working under the presumption that iMessage is compromised in the Chinese market right?

Absolutely.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

spankmeister posted:

At least it offers Serial-over-LAN where you can ssh to the BMC and attach to the console.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

spankmeister posted:

Update your IPMI firmware. The newer versions have a HTML5 interface and can mount ISOs from SMB shares. AFAIK all X10 or X11 series boards with AST2400/2500 controllers can be updated, X12 and newer I think all have the new firmware out of the box.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Rescue Toaster posted:

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Oh hell yes, do you have the wiring diagram for that?

It would be pretty useful for an old box I've repurposed as a home file server.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.juniper.net/documentati...ernet-interface

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Thank you!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

loving hell, I just had a flashback to rootcausing FastEthernet using this, way back when it was new.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

MustardFacial posted:

I use mine to emulate amiibo’s.

I tried to get it to unlock my car, but I guess the flipper can’t do rolling code or something 🤷

It's not that these attacks are using solely the Flipper, and potentially are using multiples. This is a pretty well known "relay attack" which basically is just a proxy of the RF back to a valid keyfob; so in other words, don't store your car keys near your car or better yet just put them in a faraday cage.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

drunk mutt posted:

It's not that these attacks are using solely the Flipper, and potentially are using multiples. This is a pretty well known "relay attack" which basically is just a proxy of the RF back to a valid keyfob; so in other words, don't store your car keys near your car or better yet just put them in a faraday cage.

Regardless the issue remains that the issue is the car manufacturers, not the Flipper Zero. Also - Relay attacks are usually carried out with specific tools, not little hacking toys.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I’d say car keys should move to UWB, but there are attacks against that too. Still better in that there’s no relay attack that works across the world, just from tens of meters away.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

So yeah, the issue I was mentioning earlier is a big deal because for the US, there are 3 pharmacy payment routing systems and its 1 of them. Its causing massive chaos and might end up affecting you if you use medications.

The pharmacy systems ecosystem is among the oldest and least secure on the planet. Its a house of cards ripe to collapse at any time.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I use 1Pass at home and work. It's good. Can't compare it to Bitwarden, as I have never needed to use anything else.

+1 for 1Password.

My less tech savvy ex-girlfriend also used Bitwarden without issues, but she used it by just copy pasting everything from the browser. I guess they probably have an app or browser extension as well?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
1password has been set up, based on thread recommendation.

For anyone not already onboard, if you're coming from a browser, you can mass import your saved passwords from there.

Then the little watchtower feature yells at you because you're a lazy dick and deserve it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

watchtower is the primary reason to pay for the 1pass subscription

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/unitedhealth-confirms-optum-hack-behind-us-healthcare-billing-outage/

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Flyndre posted:

+1 for 1Password.

My less tech savvy ex-girlfriend also used Bitwarden without issues, but she used it by just copy pasting everything from the browser. I guess they probably have an app or browser extension as well?

They do, I've been using the browser plugin on several machines and the app on my phone without issue for a while. I like the plugin because when you fill in a username / password it does a little zoom in effect on the text field and it makes me feel high tech :science:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Pretty much every major password management solution has web browser integration these days. Even KeePass has browser extensions.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nalin posted:

Pretty much every major password management solution has web browser integration these days. Even KeePass has browser extensions.
And at least KeePass does it right, because it requires you to interact with it, instead of just filling it in automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

My home lab is made of t and r610s and idrac6 is basically worthless if you don't know how to use ipmitool