Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
loving over rich white people is one of the few remaining things rich white people can go to jail for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I'm considering using Passwordstate for the IT dept at work, to get away from USB sticks, safes and outdated printouts. Anyone got good/bad experiences, or alternatives?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

wolrah posted:

Am I the only one who's had more problems getting hardware working in Windows than Linux in the last few years?

Yes.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
From an infosec perspective, who would even give a gently caress what's on the webcam unless you're hoping to catch someone naked? For real world espionage, wouldn't screengrabs, network traffic interception, keyloggers and listening to the microphone to know what's going on in the room be much more valuable? If I want to know what you look like, I can look you up on social media.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

I may have two machines that are affected by the Dell driver issue, but they've both long since had their drives wiped and stock Win10 installed on them. Do I need to download the util and run it on them anyway?

And no, throwing the machines away is Not An Option.

Do you work with me? Because I have a couple of coworkers whose only option when there is something they don't know the answer to is "THROW IT AWAY!"

Can't set the correct resolution on an old monitor on a Windows 10 computer? Oh poo poo, we have 50 of those monitors, better throw them all away!

Can't PXE-boot a laptop on the first try? Throw it away!

Can't find the LAN dongle for a laptop without an ethernet port? Computer is useless now, get rid of it!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

MustardFacial posted:

I applied for Cybersec Analyst position and got it (been a sysadmin for years and always security-first, but never actually done an infosec job). I was hyped for it from the beginning but then when my future manager called me to tell me that I got it and what to expect he mentioned that I'd be enrolled in a couple SANS courses, some SEIM training, I'd have to get my CISSP at some point, what my colleagues specialize in and mentioned that one of them has a SANS Challenge Coin.

Since then imposter syndrome has hit hard and now I'm wondering if I am even capable of doing this to their level. I'm 2 years younger than the manager and at least 5 years older than everyone else on my team. I haven't even started and I'm already feeling behind an unable to catch up. There is so much stuff I don't know how to do, and even more that I only have a general understanding of.

I work with hundreds if not thousands of infosec people, and none of them know poo poo about computers. If I want a 72 page Powerpoint about why having your firewall turned on is a good thing according to the latest security framework they learned about a conference they are great. If I ask them if the firewall is actually turned on, they look at me like they are a goldfish and I'm asking them to explain how an automatic transmission works.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Is the built-in password manager in Chrome OK? I'm a basic bitch, and from the user experience standpoint it works fine for me. I have 2FA on my google account, and a passphrase on my Chrome data sync.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I work with hundreds of Information Security Professionals. None of them know poo poo about computers.