Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Math.random() isn't supposed to be secure or good. That it's so obviously your basic pseudo-random number generator is probably good in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Prime numbers exist above 10,000, so the claim that 9533 is the largest prime is pretty laughable. As for why, I'm not a Mathematician so I won't explain it in a rigorous way, but intuitively there's nothing particularly special about "10,000" to think that there aren't prime numbers larger than that.
Um. The problem is, you can't just be greater than 10,000. You also have to be greater than 9,999, 9,898, and 9,876. That makes the barrier a bit thicker.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

M_Gargantua posted:

I was wondering something about the practical side of security for disk encryption. If I don't have FDE equipped drives is it more secure to use software based encryption on the whole drive and have encrypted containers on it or to have multiple logical volumes encrypted with different passwords.

Encrypt the whole thing, enter your password at boot. Do bitlocker with the whole drive, or whole of C: or whatever, or VeraCrypt, or do the Linux version where you install it with one (1) encrypted LVM. Your swap partition should be encrypted, your "OS" stuff should be encrypted, all under the same thing, because what if it writes data there, like some log file or Tmp file?

The whole purpose of this is if somebody steals your laptop from your car, or breaks into your house and steals your computer. Nobody's gonna cold-boot your stuff, you aren't going to get held up at gunpoint and be thankful your "important" stuff is on a different VM that was locked at the moment. (If that were a realistic concern, you should be using a completely separate computer.)

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Don't hang out online with people that get butthurt over your posting who somehow also are too cool to use the shift key.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
So the Apple thing is basically that on the iPhone 5C they're getting ordered to provide a signed firmware that'll let unlimited passcode attempts (or just reveal the password, or whatever). And this is something which would be technically impossible on later models. Right?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Don't roll your crypto and don't use Cloudflare either.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Internet Explorer posted:

Cloudflare? Why not?

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1139

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
*Eyes notebook with 28 pages of written down random passwords with trepidation*

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
It's so easy to gently caress up a copy/pasted password so making you type it makes a lot of sense.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Not sarcastic at all. There are very obvious reasons why copy/pasting is disallowed when changing your password versus when logging in. If you can't think of them, try turning on your brain.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Gee, maybe stop and consider why people have to type it twice.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Users will gently caress up the copy/paste and cost money getting customer support and complaining on Yelp.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

CLAM DOWN posted:

As opposed to the customer service cost of making people type their own complex passwords repeatedly? Or do you advocate for simple short passwords as well?

Yeah, make your passwords short, and different for each website. The length doesn't help -- if somebody's hacked the website, they'll probably get everything else in the database too, and a targeted crack isn't going to matter much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
It's very easy to test my hypothesis. Take my 8 characters-and-less passwords on websites I use (they go down to 6), count how many times my accounts have been lost from the password being hacked, and compare the results with your however-long passwords that make you feel secure.

I've never lost any account to somebody brute forcing my password over the wire. Or from anybody getting the password database and cracking it offline. That would be doable, but there's minimal harm that could be done on any service for which that could be accomplished.