Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool
Close down Infosec, we've got 5 Dimensional Crypto now

https://twitter.com/veorq/status/1159559785068429312

And their extremely good site - https://timeai.io/

And their awesome science complete with album cover at the bottom - https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1903/1903.08570.pdf

Also featured: actual cryptographers dunking on them in real time and on twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

Really sad someone has https://www.amicybersafe.org right now.

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

CommieGIR posted:

Apparently they practically booed them off the stage, it was that lovely and fake

Not only booed them off the stage, got debunked live in person with a finisher of someone taking the mic to just yell at them, lol

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

Bloodborne posted:

How do you nerds who work in sec track your personal/team goals and performance etc. We're moving to the "OKR" model which is apparently the intel/google/linkedin/insert startup tech company here model.

Depends on the size of your team and your charter. We moved to a similar model over the summer as a software security team. For example, we've got one with targets for automatically generated bug fix rates. Basically a quality check on our static analysis rules, fuzzing rig, et cetera.

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Open communication and honesty with the userbase is probably the biggest lesson we haven't learned yet. We made decisions in secret (sometimes even internally between teams in security) and do not solicit feedback for initiatives that will impact the entire org. Our relationship with other departments is often hostile and they more often than not fight us or withhold important information as a result. Not exactly productive in the context of security if your userbase is trying to undermine you every step of the way.

One of the things I started doing is meeting with product teams when there isn’t an incident or ask; I need a word other than “peacetime” for it. If the only time we interact with the teams we support is when we broke them or we are asking them to do work, it’s hard to have a non-hostile relationship.

For my tools team, we’re starting to require ourselves (and have metrics we are accountable for) in the realm of noise in security bugs, improving user workflows alongside work to make security tooling and not just throwing up new roadblocks, that sorta thing. I spend a lot of time talking to peers in performance/accessibility; they have some of the same problems we do w/r/t asks to other teams, but without the “you have to do this because security” hammer. Lessons to learn from them.

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

Klyith posted:

Uhhhh, welcome to 2017?

I'm continually amused by the idea of grandma's Life Alert being used to sell her reverse mortgages

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

Martytoof posted:

This is going to be a *chef kiss* of an RCA

I am ridiculously excited to find out more about this because the TTM is so high and the mitigation so far is so bizarre. Verified accounts can't tweet?? This is either going to be a story of heroics on a very weird exploit chain or an interview question on how Not To Do Things and I don't see a middle ground.

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool
One of my favorite examples when talking about usable security is nursing station computers. Styrofoam cups over proximity sensors, anti-idle scripts, the works. A little more fun than the same slide of tire tracks/footprints going around a gate, anyway.

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

Defenestrategy posted:

I was confused about what he was talking about, thought he was talking about an NFC or other some such tap to log on/enter thing, not a REX/keep alive thingy.

Now to answer your second question, no I dunno how a styrofoam cup would prevent leakage of signal, but it wouldn't be the most insane thing I've seen/heard of.

TBH I wish my job had more off the wall poo poo like this instead of getting people to upgrade OSS and getting people to remove creds from code/configuration files, so I don't blame you

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

CommieGIR posted:

Security people like this piss me off and makes it really hard to work in the field.

I've honestly had to chew quite a few out in my 15 years of doing Security because they openly make it harder to secure things by pissing off the infra or app teams or actively pushing them away and creating strong scenarios for shadow IT.

The next evolution is when IT security starts throwing stuff over the wall... To product security teams. Watching the egos clash is entertaining, but hard to to get blood off the walls afterwards

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

CommieGIR posted:

Gonna highlight this - I NEVER ever claimed I was too clever to be at risk. Please give me some credit here at least. Please don't just go assuming things about me because I made a joke (although I am the Red Team lead). That is a massive assumption on your part, and frankly is incredibly insulting. To paraphrase Plato - "I know that I know nothing" and that applies to any security person. You are never too smart to be risk free, and you are never to experienced to get yourself into trouble. Of course there's risk involved with having a corporate image on my laptop. Plenty of it.

Given that your average VM has about as much protection as a VDI - its as much of a controlled risk as a hardware endpoint. The VM had our full security suite on it, and was encrypted via Bitlocker. Again - we were assuming this VM would be given to contractors, many of whom we know nothing about their security stack on their contracting laptop. So, in other words, assume the worst.

Jesus loving christ....

You forgot the most important reason to keep your own poo poo locked down; making sure blue doesn’t know what the Meme Theme of the next engagement presentation is

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

CommieGIR posted:

No matter how many times we try 'Open the meeting with a joke', it never carries well with the executive team.

That really sucks. Our execs have been totally fine with us memeing in our readouts, and we're a pretty big, serious place most of the time. The last one was Shrek themed. I gave a talk on LLM security and how it challenges our fundamental assumptions about security testing and the theme was around LLMs being like a creepy little kid:

Ellipson fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

Potato Salad posted:

cissp is a huge door opener, who is ragging on it that hard

it's battering ram. accept that and wield it if it helps you collect more money from employers who are already exploiting your labor value

Do what I did instead and get a PhD, which simultaneously closes doors and sucks up prime career advancement years (and you will still get screened on certs)