Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

DeaconBlues posted:

In the past I've used the MD5 of a simple string (such as a car license plate) and I know that people here will poo poo brix that I used something as insecure as MD5 but, hey, it's better than the original password!

What's wrong with MD5? I mean, it turns my street's name (why are you using license plate numbers instead of something easy to remember when you're stretching it into a good password anyway? We're trying to keep things simple here!) into "0904572d42fdd0ef1cd93fb1047fe2d0." That's a great password! Look how long and random it is! And without involving super complicated hard to learn software like Keepass.

Don't make this more difficult than it has to be, just use md5.

Edit: Holy poo poo you guys, this post was joke response to a post that I'm still pretty sure is itself a joke. I mean I called Keepass "super complicated and hard to learn," because he said "Please don't suggest Keepass, I'm looking for simplicity," after asking for help with a hilariously convoluted method of creating passwords. I don't think anyone who actually thinks Keepass is super hard would be able to find the "Post" button.

Theris fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Wow. I was considering throwing "What is wrong with you? Just use keepass." in spoiler tags, but it really seemed like he was joking so I just went with it. Poe's law is a bitch. :smith:

Theris fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 20, 2015

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Supposedly the Cortex-a55 is not vulnerable (it's in-order, but does do branch prediction so that may not be true), and if so is definitely in the running for the fastest chip that isn't.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Dylan16807 posted:

But obtaining the PII of alleged pirates is not what they did. They hacked exactly one person.

I was ready to see the company get ripped apart for their actions, but now that they clarified I don't see the point. Hacking one person, with no direct damage? Is a fine of $10000 per instance plus reparations for any harm caused not good enough?

They intentionally placed malware on the computers of every customer who downloaded that update. That's corporate death penalty worthy, it doesn't matter if they only actually activated it for one person.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Mr Chips posted:

Speaking of KeepAss, is it reasonable to assume that the Argon2 key derivation function provides some protection against brute-force attacks?

Yes. The point of a key derivation function is to make each attempt of a different password require a non-trivial amount of compute resources. (Argon2 can require processor time, memory, or both depending on how it's configured) A good one can dramatically increase the time needed for brute-forcing.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Rufus Ping posted:

Isn't this just the usual delegated access via oauth business? Non story imo

"Apps that you've granted access to your Gmail account can access your Gmail account" as a headline doesn't generate many clicks.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Even with AES-NI, software encryption overhead with an average SDD like an EVO 840 can pretty much saturate an average CPU when its cranking with enough active threads to hit all cores..

What are you considering an "average CPU" here? Software Bitlocker on my 950 Pro (thanks for never actually enabling eDrive like you said you would, Samsung :v:) with a 6700k has zero performance impact in disk benchmarks and CPU usage low enough that it more or less blends into the background noise of how much CPU gets used when hitting a disk hard anyway.

Theris fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Daman posted:

is it actually enabled? you do need to disable and then re-enable bitlocker on the drive after toggling it.

I have to enter the Bitlocker passphrase (I don't have a TPM) to boot, so I assume so. Maybe not?

Edit: Seriously misremembered Veracrypt benchmark results, deleted the part of the post based on that.

Theris fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 6, 2018