Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Subjunctive posted:

I’m pretty curious about what Google can learn from me sticking encrypted blobs into gdrive once a week or whatever. What about that activity is informative to them?

And why wouldn’t any paid cloud storage provider extract those same delicious and powerful signals as well, if only to sell them on to others?

They can tie it to your google account or other ways to identify you, cross reference your searches or use of other sites that use google analytics or otherwise share analytics with google, and use that information to sell more targeted ads when it picks up that you are running out of storage space physically or just bought a bunch more storage space and may be looking for more backup storage or any other number of things.

E: other companies usually aren’t in the business of selling targeted ads so don’t really track you to that extent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Yes, electron apps - well-known for always being kept up-to-date, and certainly never using ages-old vendored version-locked libraries.

Case in point, my Teams that was updated earlier today:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
:devil:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Thanks Ants posted:

I'll never understand how people getting paid decent money would make the decision not to have a personal computer for personal stuff.

I just run a work VM on my personal machine. :v:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Subjunctive posted:

I’m amazed that you’re permitted to do that

I cleared it with my company's security team. We are a small consulting firm, though. Like, maybe 30 people. ~6 devs, ~3 security people, ~3 networking/infrastructure people, ~3 project managers, and the rest split up between HR, help desk, and some specialized products for our clients.

e: i guess they just trust me :shrug: i know the security team shares my frustration with how slow the anti-virus/malware software makes our work computers. a bit of a difference between my 11th gen i7 work laptop and my 7950x3d home desktop.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

hark posted:

I'm not now and have never been on LastPass, but what's the deal with it? Is it just really unsecure or something? I've never seen it mentioned anywhere but here.

They’ve gotten compromised multiple times now.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Thanks Ants posted:

Hopefully I'm not stealing your thunder by posting this because I was waiting for the talk to go live, and now it is

https://media.ccc.de/v/37c3-12142-breaking_drm_in_polish_trains

Bookmarked to watch later. Thanks!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

bolind posted:

Is there a dumb free password manager for iOS? I just need like an encrypted notepad. No sync to PC or autofill or anything.

Isn't that Apple Keychain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

I don’t think I could be as devious with social engineering like this if I tried.