Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Since you were talking password managers, and I asked in the android thread with no luck, I figured I'd ask here.

I use Password Safe. I started keeping my safe on my Android phone because I needed to access my passwords on multiple computers. I used to be able to just hook it up, use USB Mass Storage to access the phone like a drive, and open my safe. That doesn't work the same way with my new phone, since it uses MTP; Password Safe doesn't want to access it from the phone, possibly because it's a device and not a drive, so there is no path? I'm not honestly sure. I could copy it each time I wanted to use it, but the idea is to consolidate the location so I don't accidentally overwrite some new entry by mistake.

Is there a way to restore or replicate my old functionality with Password Safe? While I would like to avoid migrating, I will if I have to, and would appreciate any suggestions for what to migrate to. (I see mention of KeePass as an open source option, which I will look into.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I guess I will mess with Drive to see if Password Safe will play nice with it.

DeaconBlues posted:

Is the Password Safe file encrypted?

I believe Password Safe encrypts by default? I mean, I don't see an option that says "encrypt vault" but Wikipedia says it encrypts.

EVIR Gibson posted:

Does your password storage app use certs as well along with password auth?

I'm sorry, but I don't fully understand what this means.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Crossposting with Haus of Tech Support:

Magnetic North posted:

I've been thinking of doing a 'security refresh' on my home infrastructure, based on a few pieces of random advice I've accumulated over the years. Now, I don't know if they are sensible or not, so I'd be interested to hear the thread's thoughts on these. In descending order of "likelihood I will try them" are:

1: Setting up a second / guest wifi network to connect work devices to, separate from my existing personal network and devices. I see the process described here and it seems straightforward enough. Is it worth the bother?

2: Password managers: my old crusty password manager (PasswordSafe) is bordering on no longer being fit for purpose as I start accumulating more and more devices, so it might be time to start with an actual cloud-based service. Are any better or worse than any other? Are any others open source?

3: A bill-paying email address. Currently, I use my 'resume' email for bills, but I saw someone suggest that having an entirely separate email is a reasonable way to avoid phishes. It would be some work to change it all over, and add some additional overhead, but would it be worth it?

4: A bill-paying laptop: Similar to above, except that the only device which handles bills is a cheapo Chromebook or whatever. It feels kind of e-Waste-y to me to have an entire device for that, but I'm curious if it's worth the bother.

Let me know what you think, or if there is a better place to post this question.

I got some answers for 2, 3, and 4 but I am honestly most curious about 1. I've wondered about it for a while, but since I am going to be starting with a new employer in a bit, now seems to be the time to seek out answers about that.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Protect your personal stuff from overzealous monitoring by work’s management software? (Possibly an easier way than splitting your network, but I can see the appeal.)

Mostly this. My other computers are usually off when I am working, except my smartphone, so they probably aren't using much bandwidth. I'm unaware of what they could "see" but it's not like I do anything I'm terribly worried about them seeing either.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Sickening posted:

We still trying to focus on password length and complexity like it’s a worthwhile venture.

As a person who knows nothing: there must still be some minimum threshold of basic complexity to avoid low-level attacks, right? Or can it literally be loving "cat" nowadays because everything is leaks?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Takes No Damage posted:

:same: If I were doing something like that it would be like 3 VMs deep behind a firewall and 4 proxies.
Jeez, didn't realize "Good Luck, I'm behind 7 Proxies" was fifteen years old :negative:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

I'm going to pick 2 fido keys to add as recovery options.

I have not heard of fido keys before now, but I had been thinking about some form of backup to get into accounts if there were an issue. Anyone have a trusted resource on these? Sure, I can look at Google and Youtube but I have no idea who actually knows anything.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Wasn't sure where else to post this. Anyone know of a trusted modern guide to dealing with being party to a data breach? (Meaning your information is out there, not you worked for a company that had one.) I haven't kept up with this information for the last 12 years or so. I'd typically just Google it, but I'm a little afraid of how far the misinformation machine might have extended, and I'm being relied on to get the information for someone else who was also affected.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Hopefully I'm not stealing your thunder by posting this because I was waiting for the talk to go live, and now it is

https://media.ccc.de/v/37c3-12142-breaking_drm_in_polish_trains

This was a great watch. Thank you.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Nalin posted:

Be careful, if you need a card to gain access they might be pulling access logs.

Oh no, I hope you aren't suggesting (spins the wheel of corpo-buzzwords) Coffee (spings the wheel again) Badging. That's basically theft, dontchaknow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Two days a month is closer to my definition of "hybrid" than 2/5 days a week being in-office.

Yeah especially if those 2 days are with your actual team and not random chucklefucks I never ever interact with, or worse yet, everyone.