Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

MustardFacial posted:

If you don't mind spending the money, a Synology device with a couple NAS HDD's in it is probably the most privacy-centric method there is as the data does not leave your house, and you still get Drive-like features. Otherwise, an S3 bucket can be really cheap if it's only for documents and stuff but that's literally just storage, and it comes down to how much you trust any cloud provider to not OCR or scan your data (I'm sure you could encrypt it before you send it up to S3 to be extra safe.)

Ultimately, we all pay to play. Be it in money, time, or privacy.

I have a Synology NAS but eventually I'd like to migrate to something less subject to entshitification. I haven't upgraded to DSM 7 OS yet, I don't remember the exact reason for that but I remember coming to the conclusion that it wasn't worth it, but I'll have to cross that bridge eventually.

However, what I do like is the ease of use and all the personal cloud features. I also have it running Jellyfin (Plex replacement) in a docker container but can also run VMs and a bunch of other things. It's a neat box. But on topic, for geographic redundancy I have a digital ocean space (also works with s3 buckets) that I pay for to sync a subset of my backups to every night directly from the NAS and it works well.

If you're considering Synology I'd have a look at the roadmap and see if you're alright with the direction they're taking. Might be worth it to just start with FreeNAS or something along those lines.

e: Synology is removing USB support from DSM 7, I think there are workarounds for this but that was one of the reasons why I avoided it for the time being.

digitalist fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

There’s a lot of value beyond the actual data itself, how and when it’s used can provide a lot of context and ultimately value to companies like google who can use it in conjunction with other behavioral data streams to make and sell predictions/ads.

I’m sure encryption helps but the object isn’t necessarily the data itself but the metadata engaging with it generates.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Yeah, the value comes when it's combined with other behavioral data streams, what/when/how you upload whatever files to google on its own isn't worth that much. And if you want to expand on this, even more value gets added when you can expand the accumulation of an individual's behavioral data to a community, nation, state, etc. The value is really an emergent property of the totality of information that's being collected.

As individuals in the infosec thread we're probably not, as a group, as subject to these dynamics as your average person.

If you want to get lost in the weeds, I've come across a few videos that explain well, I usually link this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIXhnWUmMvw but truth be told I'm not a huge fan of the pacing nor her delivery but the idea is explained well enough. I watched about 10 minutes of this one and it seemed better but I haven't seen it in its entirety so hopefully it doesn't suck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s4Y-uZG5zk

I did read her book though. Also, I'm not presenting this as gospel, but it's an important idea that more people should probably be familiar with.

e: maybe that vid isn't the best, skip to 16-17 minutes to avoid some/most of the fluff. I should probably just stick to sharing the first one, it's slow as the target audience is your average person, but is better organized/more methodical.

digitalist fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 30, 2023

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

It’ll be worth a lot one day, you’ve got yourself a real collector’s item

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Rust Martialis posted:

RHEL's weird (to me) habit of settling on a particular release of a package and patching it for eternity means RHEL 8 apparently used xz-5.2.4 so it's possible they dodged a bullet.

xz-libs-5.2.4-3.el8.x86_64.rpm

Anyone check a live system?

My RHEL8 machines have 5.2.4, which is reassuring. Looking forward to whatever else is discovered as a result.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Raymond T. Racing posted:

for those of us religiously reading secfuck at the moment, I think we all flinched at reading this

We share this understanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000