Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

Rescue Toaster posted:

I'm planning on picking up a domain to use for email to get some important accounts off of gmail (in terms of password reset/etc...), and also probably so some local devices have a unique domain name and I can do internal certs that are actually trusted.

Is there any significance to the registrar that controls the TLD? I don't mean namecheap/cloudflare/godaddy/whoever, but in terms of the various newer cheap TLDs. For example .stream says "Global Registry Services Ltd" and then lists a backend of GoDaddy.

I suppose from both a 'How likely is this to get hijacked by some guy working at a company I've never heard with HQ in Gibraltar or the Cayman Islands' and then also the ones that offer private registration info like namecheap, but then if the actual registrar for your TLD is in the UAE or whatever. Not that I'm planning on using the domain for anything that would get anybody in particular upset, afaik. Better to just stick with .com/.net even if I can't get a nice short name?

Doesn’t really answer your question, but I bought a .com domain through Namecheap which I’ve tied to SimpleLogin. Simplelogin then forward my emails to gmail. It was easy to set up, works fine and I can easily create unlimited email aliases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I use 1Pass at home and work. It's good. Can't compare it to Bitwarden, as I have never needed to use anything else.

+1 for 1Password.

My less tech savvy ex-girlfriend also used Bitwarden without issues, but she used it by just copy pasting everything from the browser. I guess they probably have an app or browser extension as well?

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
Took the example quiz on the CISSP website and got 11/16 correct. I think I might have a new career ahead of me (I’ve never worked with or in tech)