Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

Mr Chips posted:

Can you explain the mathematics for the first bit for everyone else who's interested in understanding why?

Hey man, the mathematical proof for it was written by Euclid (back in 300bc believe it or not) and you can read about the formal proof here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclid%27s_theorem

The proof goes like this:

You assume you have a finite set of prime numbers, in this case we'll say we have found every prime in the range of 0-1000, and the primes are denoted as p1, p2, p3,...,pn where pn is the last prime in the set
Then you multiply all of those primes together to get a large composite number, we'll call x
We know that any prime in the set of 0-1000 can divide this number and give us an integer result since x = p1 * p2 * p3 *...* pn (Thanks to formal definitions of divisibility)
The contradiction to the original assumption that only a limited number of primes exists happens when we add 1 to the composite number. so y = x + 1
Since we made a composite number of ALL primes, then there must exist some pi (i is the index number) that can divide y, right? (again due to formal definitions of divisibility)
However this is not the case since we know y = x + 1 = (p1 * p2 * p3 *...* pn) + 1, thus there exists no pi in our original set that divides y, so y must be a prime.

You can do this again, and again (this is called a proof by induction) for every new prime you find (like c, d, e,...etc),
Therefore there are infinitely many primes.

I know this was posted a while ago, but I hope it helps.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
gently caress all of you! I'm keeping eset installed!

Swagger Dagger posted:

I'm graduating from college in the fall with a BS in Computer Science, any tips on getting a job in the infosec industry? I'd rather be on the blue team/admin side of things but I'm kinda worried that I'll be job hunting and end up in something akin to a basic tech support job, and I've spent way too much time and money in college to really be able to afford that.

I'll have an S+ and probably a CCNA by then, if those will help. I know those are very basic, entry-level certs but it's what I can afford on my budget and I had to start somewhere.

Check with your school's CS IT department if you're just trying to get any experience before you graduate. Pretty easy in if you're a student in the program, and they should be looking for people for the summer and fall. A fellow classmate of mine did it and was really into it.