Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

App13 posted:

I’d be interested in some hot takes on working for defense contractors, ethics wise.

I’m former Navy and sort of a hippie so I’ve always dismissed the work off hand, but I’ll be damned if an incredibly enticing offer came in to be a ISSO for one that’s got me trying to do the mental gymnastics to justify it. It’s getting increasingly more difficult to ignore the defense sector as I get further into my infosec career

If you're looking, you might consider my firm. Come help me secure local government and critical infrastructure (hospitals, power plants, water systems, etc), we're hiring for one GRC and one DFIR role. "Former navy, sort of a hippie" is our cultural jam, as long as you don't mind punk rock; work/life balance is pretty good, and the work is honest, meaningful, impactful stuff. The work is fully remote. Clearances are nice but in no way required. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

Same goes for anyone else looking in those areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
loving good, ring is gross

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Ynglaur posted:

It's becoming more common in casual dining to have a machine at each table. They even try to monetize them with stupid mobile games.

Red Robin deployed POS terminals on each table with cameras and microphones a little while before covid. They're custom units, they don't need to have cameras and microphones, and yet they do - which makes me inclined to think they're being used for consumer surveillance.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
God drat it, you gonna give me a heart attack

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Thanks Ants posted:

I want to know what the people at Google think a legit use for .zip TLD could possibly be.

increasing mandiant's revenue

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm sure people will heed that advice but they will replace them with non-Barracuda appliances. How have they hosed up so badly that the software running on the box cannot prevent a firmware-level compromise?

It generally means that the attackers found a way to modify the device's baseboard management controller and/or the BIOS, so that even if you wipe the firmware entirely, the bad stuff just gets reinjected from the BMC.

Such fuckups are alas not uncommon, see ILOBleed from 2021:

https://thehackernews.com/2021/12/new-ilobleed-rootkit-targeting-hp.html

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Cannon_Fodder posted:

An hour, I presume.

I mean the hands on keyboard "unfuck your poo poo" mercenaries that batman in during an ongoing security event

My firm bills my time at $450 an hour; my salary is unexceptional and I'm probably making a lot less than someone at one of the big players in the field.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I suspect GDPR enforcement wrt O365 is going to look something like this:

1. MSFT violates GDPR
2. EU levies a nominal-by-Microsoft-standards fine
3. MSFT prices the fine into their business model
4. goto 1

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
i just passed the cissp exam :toot:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Internet Explorer posted:

Hey, that's awesome! Congrats!

rafikki posted:

Nice, you got in just before the new one. I’ve got a boot camp for it next week, curious to see how it goes.

Thank you so much! I am in still in a bit of shock. I'm usually very bad at tests and did not expect to pass the first time. I owe a lot to the Destination CISSP book and practice quizz app for both a refresher on stuff outside my primary lanes, and teaching me how to recognize the exam's approach to phrasing questions in twisty ways that test your understanding.

My understanding is the new test is not very different, but I haven't looked at it in detail yet, because that is very much a tomorrow problem at this moment in time :v:

Rust Martialis posted:

I actually thought, hey I've known you for years and we worked together, I can vouch, then shook my head and thought "Corps Diplo and Eve probably doesn't count, idiot".

Congrats from CISSP #23xxx

Haha, I appreciate the thought, dude! I'm all set for endorsements though.

(I spent my entire second interview explaining GRC through the lens of writing policy for GENTS and Corps Diplo, I poo poo you not)

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Apr 16, 2024

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
sounds like you need a new job. perhaps a cissp would help

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Sickening posted:

requires a specific kind of degree

gently caress, don't tell ISC(2) that I majored in English, they'll have me flogged and send me to McDonalds

(no it does not lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

dragon64 posted:

Glad we have two Entrust threads now

We can't entrust it to just one