Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Related to not rolling your own crypto, V8's Math.random() has some gnarly collision issues. Includes a graphical representation of noise generated by Safari's Math.random() vs. noise generated by V8's Math.random(). Patterns are immediately visible in the V8 one, while the Safari one is much more random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I didn't actually read what his situation was, I just assumed it was the gambling equivalent of bitcoin and was curious as to how he hosed everything up.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Spambots sure are getting complex these days.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

There was an ffmpeg vuln a little while ago that allowed remote attackers to see files on a system that executed a malformed playlist file. So if you don't keep VLC up to date you could be vulnerable to that.

That kind of thing could happen in video files. Software is full of bugs.

I guess the point is that lazy programming or poor code testing could result in vulnerabilities in anything, so it's entirely possible.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

That payload was written by some old-school virus/malware guys. Or maybe it's the era of the revival of boot sector viruses.

Either way, that's pretty great. I mean, being hit by something like that sucks, but it's nostalgic as all hell.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Man I wish I still lived in Vancouver. Good food and security poo poo with chill sec goons? I should see if I can swing a week at our Burnaby office...

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

We run SourceFire/AMP for Endpoints. We're a Cisco shop so we eat our own dogfood. We've had a couple false positives but also catch a fair amount of nasty poo poo.

That and common sense. Common sense is the real antivirus.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The Free Software Foundation's developers being anti-women turbospergs who are actually really bad at what they do is entirely unsurprising

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Good lord, that may as well read "under complex micro-architectural conditions, processor may not work when processing data".

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Dylan16807 posted:

It's not quite that bad. You have to be using the H registers, which access the next-to-lowest 8 bits of the full register value. Probably uncommon, and easy to avoid.

Yes, I know. I can think of at least three functions in one of my hobby projects that are susceptible to this bug. I just haven't had a Kaby Lake box to test on yet.

Time to rewrite those loops...

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Good news is the next big Windows 10 update in the fall will be disabling SMBv1 by default.

Hopefully there'll be a similar change in a contemporary Server 2016 update.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

TBH I'd be okay with the NSA giving out free wildcards if it would mean people would finally stop doing logins and poo poo over plain HTTP.

It's all about the Mossad/Not-Mossad threat model, and logins over plain HTTP falls squarely in the not-Mossad category.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It's all Juniper and WatchGuard for me from now on :stare:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

LibreSSL, and throw libtls on top of it so you don't have to write a massive framework for dealing with all the legacy OpenSSL API poo poo.

e: My bad, libtls is a core part of LibreSSL. No extra libraries needed, just grab the LibreSSL suite and call it a day.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 18, 2017

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

That looks like a separate problem as the processor will probably just fail to resolve addresses in the speculative fetcher and do something undefined -- I would love to know exactly what, but LOL at the magic that is Free Software coding standards; "will explode dangerously" and "bad things happen" like come on now Linux people you can loving comment better than that.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Lain Iwakura posted:

Here are CPUs that are safe:

- Pentium P5s or 80486 and earlier (enjoy your FDIV bug)
- PowerPC 604 (not 604e) and earlier
- Alpha EV5 and earlier

Enjoy.

I'll be over in the corner with my 68040 trying to get something newer than System 7.6 booting.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The only Power Mac I've got is a G5, and the oldest booting Pentium I have is a PII...

Time for me to go find a 604.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Zen is still vulnerable to Spectre.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I can't find "predict" or "pipeline" in the wiki page; if the architecture doesn't have any of that, why would they be vulnerable?

SPARC is an interesting case in that it's a specification for a processor architecture as seen from the assembly level up, not the processor's internals themselves. Oracle doesn't make SPARC processors themselves; they license the specifications out to other companies like Fujitsu, Weitek, Texas Instruments, LSI, etc. who then go design and build their own SPARC architecture processors.

I know Fujitsu's had pretty deep speculative execution in their SPARCs since 2001. Possibly earlier.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

So many of our machines are pre-Haswell or are Haswell and are from a local computer store, not an actual vendor.

gently caress me sideways.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hey fun fact, all of Cisco's recent routers running IOS-XE and the current generation of ASAs are all using modern Intel CPUs for multiple planes.

I don't know what's in the new Catalyst 9000 series but I'd bet there's some Intel in those too.

gently caress everything, let's go back to the days of shoving a 68030 into every device under the sun.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

anthonypants posted:

What is your threat model where you are worried about Spectre/Meltdown privilege escalation on a networking appliance. What would your infrastructure even look like for that to be a concern.

There have been multiple ASA patches in the past year for remote code execution.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

anthonypants posted:

Were any of those due to Intel CPU bugs?

No, but imagine a combination of the two. Remote code execution + a kernel mode exfiltration bug. Same kind of implications as RCE on a desktop, except on a router or security appliance.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

anthonypants posted:

Okay, so let's go back to my original question: If you've already got an existing buffer overflow, and you can remotely exploit that buffer overflow to execute arbitrary code, what attacker is going to spend time trying to trigger a CPU bug afterward?

The kind who wants to exfiltrate secure data from kernel space and from other processes like encryption keys and passphrases.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

waloo posted:

How does this change, if at all, for somebody using a chromebook a lot?

A small notepad with your passwords written down in it, preferably attached to or stored in your wallet.

This is infinitely less likely to get your poo poo stolen than using LastPass.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I was in a meeting and missed it :(

Really looking forward to the video+slides of it being posted!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

No paper trail for the existence of the company behind the findings, no disclosure period, disclaimer in the whitepaper admitting financial connection and interest in AMD's competitors, marketing buzzwords instead of technical details, citations to random PDFs on the internet, and to top it all off, no HTTPS on a supposed security consultancy's website.

This reeks of corporate hit piece.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Zil posted:

That can only be intentional to get business off 7? Right? :stonklol:

Genuinely would not be surprised.

gently caress I hope it works

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ah, lovely. A bug where the result is encryption being so broken the workaround is to send things in plaintext because you're hosed anyways.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Judge Schnoopy posted:

They're calling it Foreshadow. L1TF affects Intel's Software Guard Extensions (SGX) feature and the researchers said after the Meltdown and Spectre discoveries, looking at SGX was the next step. "When you look at what Spectre and Meltdown did not break, SGX was one of the few things left"

https://www.engadget.com/2018/08/14/intel-discloses-processor-vulnerability-l1tf/

They also realized that the attack could expose the secret cryptographic keys, known as attestation keys, that enable SGX's crucial integrity checks.
Once a set of attestation keys are compromised, they can be used to generate SGX signatures that will look legitimate in any context—even as attackers compromise an enclave, or set up a fake one.

The attacks are stealthy, leaving few traces in a computer's logs. And they can be launched from "user space," meaning an attacker doesn't need to have deep access to a system to launch the assault.

https://www.wired.com/story/foreshadow-intel-secure-enclave-vulnerability

The good news is I don't think anyone ever wrote any software to use SGX outside of research papers.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

CyberPingu posted:

Do responsible disclosure stuff not exist in the US?

If you can be successfully sued for it despite covering your rear end and doing it in good faith, you don't do it in America.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

EVIL Gibson posted:

for example:

if that endpoint actually is 'bar', try throwing in 'foo'

this also works with get->set, logout->logout, and view/read->edit

This seems like the genesis of an Auto-BOFH.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ohhhhh shiiiiit I forgot about that ARG thing

maybe reddit is a better place to try my guy, no one here really wants to burn the time or effort to do weird crypto puzzles these days

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Can't wait for another round of "Just move to O365" recommendations that ignores moving on prem Exchange to O365 is easily a 6month to 1 year project all on its own that needs a budget.

If your org has so much insane bureaucracy that moving to O365 takes a year, it's probably going to take you that long just to get the OK to patch all your Exchange servers.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

"I MD5'ed the MD5 of the password, it should be secure!"

An actual conversation that gave me a violent twitch.

drat, now instead of taking one nanosecond per guess, it takes TWO. Time to wrap up the mass cracking effort.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm the additional opsecfuck of the excel spreadsheet in the downloads of people_i_bribe_for_their_connections.xlsx

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

He spent at least two decades hiding and making his own drugs in South American jungles because he was an insane pseudo-sovcit libertarian who thought taxes were illegal. During that time, he committed a murder, faked several heart attacks, faked a grand jury indictment, and finally ended up being arrested in Spain because he wasn't cognizant of their extradition treaty with the US.

Dude was *insane*.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

eat your own dick to pay respects to John, who will never have the chance to follow through on this threat to eat his own dick

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

*takes massive bong rip*

Like, ARGs, man. Friggin' weird stuff. *passes the dutchie*

e: ahahaha I just saw that GBS mod challenged the weird ARG person and they *completed* it, fuckin kudos :lol:

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

yeah, it has been known since the 90s that the internet isn't an actual planned thing, but rather an organic thing that happened on accident and rests upon dozens, if not hundreds of single points of failure.

Look up Harlan Stenn sometime.

Every few months the number of routes in the full BGP tables hits a point where a whole bunch of old core routers and route servers are about to poo poo the bed and major ISPs scramble to figure out how to avoid the internet falling apart out of the blue