Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Plus it's pretty annoying having an actual real password on your phone because think about how often you unlock it. Most people I know don't even bother with a 4 number pin code. I think the newer iPhones or iOS forces a 6 digit code now if you set one (as in 4 digits aren't allowed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Bash/shell and encryption aren't really even in the same category so yeah. I don't have any links but I'd say start with looking up how RSA works and go from there. If you're into videos there's a series with an English guy that's somewhat easy to understand but he's annoying to listen to. It also is gonna depend on your math background.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Antillie posted:

Well if the encryption is truly unbreakable by themselves after the fact and no logs of the data or keys are kept then that is all the defense they need. If you can get experts to testify before a judge that something is truly impossible then the judge will generally accept that as a good reason to not issue an order to do that something or as a good reason for not complying with such an order.

Now that doesn't stop the government from forcing them to implement logging of the keys or data with a law or court order or something. But that would only help with all transactions from that point onward. Older stuff would be safe forever.

With Startcom and Lets Encrypt handing out trusted certs for free left and right there is no reason not to encrypt literally everything on the internet with solid not-breakable-after-the-fact crypto. TLS 1.2, ECDHE, and AES-GCM. Done. In fact if I go to facebook.com in Firefox this is the exact cipher suite they are using. Trendy crypto nerds can use ChaCha20 and Poly1305. They even have have TLS_FALLBACK_SCSV enabled and a proper HSTS header and HSTS preloading in all major browsers. Baring some secret government warrant/fisa court order I would say that they are pretty serious about crypto.

Now if only there was some group handing out trusted ECDSA certs for free I would be a happy happy nerd.

Is let's encrypt actually worth taking the x minutes to set up? I remember ready somewhere that all having a cert from them says is "this guy has a cert from us" but doesn't actually mean/do much else. Could be wrong though.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

This thread was nice and informal but now it sucks.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

redreader posted:

Hi. I am looking to start using a vpn or a seedbox, for the reason I'd use a seedbox (that is, hosting my own personal files of course). Could someone tell me a recommended vpn/seedbox company? I feel like googling for it will give me a bad answer...

You're probably better off asking in the usenet thread. I know usenet is not torrents but some of us dabble in both over there.

Unormal posted:

I don't (well, now, didn't) even know what a seedbox is, but I thought this was an interesting concern so I googled "best seedbox" and google said:

WhatBox: 1TB space, 10 Gbit/s network, 10 British Pounds per month
Feral Hosting: 60 GB space, 150 Mbps connection, $10 US per month

Curious how bad of an answer that actually is.

Seedboxes are private servers that you use to download and seed your linux iso files, of course. OP for what it's worth I've heard a lot about those two that he linked as well.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Since everyone hates virus scanners here, what do I do about Windows Defender? Leave it on or turn it off?

Also I noticed in my github account I have an option to upload a pgp key but I'm not really sure what this is. Is this just basically like having a second ssh key I need to babysit?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is the stuff here about key exchange protocols, ciphers, etc (ignoring the things like setting up Tor etc) up to date/good practice?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Stories like this are amazing.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

DuckConference posted:

Sure it's good in general. I mean I have it turned on for gmail. But why deal with the hassle for, say, dropbox when all of my bank accounts are protected with only 6 digit passwords and have no option for anything better? "I got keylogged and all my money is gone, but thank god they didn't get some random spreadsheets."

Because my information is worth more than [temporary, reversible] access to my bank account.

You can open new bank accounts, new credit cards, and find and gain access to other accounts of mine through simple "social engineering" by logging into my Dropbox and make my world difficult for the foreseeable future. I don't really give a poo poo if you've managed to brute force my 6 digit bank password that must be in all lowercase because the worse that will happen is I'm stuck on the phone for a bit while they reverse the charges/suspend my account/what have you.

e: No I don't keep a txt file in my Dropbox called SOCIAL_SECURITY_NUMBER.txt or anything silly like that. But if you were willing to spend a modicum amount of time you could probably find out who my parents and sisters are from things in my Dropbox, my friends even, and there's probably enough information in there to figure out how to contact these people and impersonating someone else in my circle until you get the information you're looking for. Not that I'm famous or important or anything but that doesn't excuse the possibility.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 6, 2016

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

flosofl posted:

I inherited a pretty sensitive and integral piece of equipment when I worked at a large bank. The password was "Q1w2E3r4Y7u8I9o0", which, after glancing at a keyboard is about as stupid as it looks.

My last corporate job, I poo poo you not, had a default password of something even more stupid along the lines of ACME321 where Acme was just the company's one word name and the 321 is not hyperbole. I'm loving serious.

You're a new hire? Here's your exchange account. Here's your ssh access to the compute nodes/servers. Here's your offsite VPN account. All ACM321. Need to send sensitive data to customers? Just zip it up and password protect it (ACME321 was also the default go to here). Hell it wasn't even just us that did this because one time I had to upload some files to a customer (a top tier defense contractor) who provided us a secure ftp account on their servers. Except they gave us a password of something like ACME321-CUSTOMER and we passed a loving post it note around the office with the ftp server and this password written on it.

(On the other hand some companies we worked with did request we have our IT guys encrypt everything onto enterprise grade hard drives and physically mail those as opposed to sending data ~via the cloud~ so it wasn't all bad .)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Mustache Ride posted:

Hey I'd be happy with a new grad. Just not a mid 30s loving certification whore who hasn't worked for anything that didn't end in "group" and who believes that powerpoints are the best form of communication.

As a mechanical engineer PowerPoint is the accepted form of communication though.

I hated it so much.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I'm on vacation right now and I'm going to need to print some documents this week. What's the general safest way to get these PDFs onto a public computer to print if I don't have a USB stick with me? I'd rather not log into my email or any accounts. I was thinking just putting it on Dropbox, getting the share links, printing it and then deleting them from Dropbox?

e: I'm not really worried about the contents of the documents being accessible (just boarding passes, some notes/checklists etc), rather the idea of logging onto my poo poo on public computers.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Could create a burner gmail account and mail stuff there.

I thought of that but I guess you can't make gmail accounts without a phone number now? It says my phone numbers been used too many times to register.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

My 1Password Watchtower/heartbleed tab has like 30+ websites listed as vulnerable. A lot of them are one off accounts I made to buy something or whatever that 1Password saved (I mean really do I "need" to update my account at "jetpens.com"? Whatever address i saved there isn't even where i live anymore and I'm sure the credit card is either expired or if not then well I know I'm not gonna be on the hook if someone steals it so who cares), and the others are websites that make it really difficult for me to change my password/can't login anymore without :effort:.

My point is that passwords are annoying. You should still use password managers though. They help except when they don't (e.g. maximum arbitrary password lengths).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

What do you guys think about the CIA leaks?

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/08/cia_exploit_list_in_full/

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

So this is basically a "water is wet" report? Nothing interesting or damaging like the Snowden leaks?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

What is it about LastPass that makes it so bad? I use 1Password and I almost never hear about any earth shattering vulnerabilities but I don't know enough about them to know how they do things differently. Is it some kind of exposure thing? I'm not sure LastPass has an android app, and it was traditionally a OS X app and the lovely sluggish Windows version shows. More people using LastPass = more exploits found or is it something more fundamental like "those devs just don't know what they are doing?"

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/taviso/status/844312124541186048

Posted about 15 minutes ago. :lol:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I guess I don't see why its not unreasonable to want people to know this? In my world for example we use algorithms that we call like "GMRES" or whatever and I'm pretty sure every single person that does anything in this field could tell you that it stood for "generalized minimal residual method", and I would hope that 99% of them could tell you that it's a Krylov subspace method and explain how those methods work. I would also hope that most people could tell you it was developed by Saad and Schultz.

I dunno, I think you should know both how the mechanisms work and how/who it came from?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

So the Trump thread in D&D of all places has been talking about U2F (in the context of one campaign/office issuing a $15 Yubikey to each staffer I think) and I figure I'd ask here about them:

1. Should I buy a $15 Yubikey? I already use 2FA on all websites I can use them on and 1Password to generate random passwords. I'm not an important person but if $15 can get me more security for minimal effort I don't see any harm in it.

2. How much of an effort is it going to be to use U2F from a USB stick? I have an iPhone so I don't think any NFC etc versions would work, and I don't think U2F works with 1Password on my iPhone. I would use it on three computers which unfortunately are Windows, Linux, and macOS, so the system needs to be compatible with all three.

3. I'm thinking in terms of "minimal effort"---I usually just drop my keys into a bowl by the door when I walk into my house. The number of times my keys are sitting with me next to my desk at home or next to me in bed on my laptop are literally never. If I went all-in on the U2F thing then I would need to change my habits here and just keep my keys with me or not attach my Yubikey to my keychain or is there a better way that I'm missing?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

I love this part:

:aaaaa:

:wtf:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I just bought the new IKEA smart light system as a impulse buy to play with before figuring out if I want to keep it or not. Never had another iot device before. This one comes with a hub that I plug into my network.

Link: http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/90353361/

How do I plug it in without getting my network pwned? For what it's worth my home network is a edge router lite -> hub -> wifi . There is an unused port on my router still. Is my understanding correct that plugging the ikea hub into that second unused port will isolate it from my wifi/pc network?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

What do I need to do to take care of my poo poo in light of this new breach?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Volmarias posted:

Freeze your credit if you haven't already, and pray that TransUnion and Experian handle their pins better.

EVIL Gibson posted:

Just to be clear. Make sure you freeze and not monitoring. Freezing means that if anyone tries to open an account or attempt to get a loan through your name illegitimately, they need to get that PIN to actually do it.

Just to be more clear you mean to do the thing here right?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

God this seems so much more complicated that it should be. Like are you serious, signing up for the wrong thing can result in me waiving my rights? The gently caress?

I know this is probably all by design to fool people into doing it to help their bottom line but god drat.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

https://www.reddit.com/r/privacy/comments/3frjqw/psa_kaspersky_injects_remote_javascript_into_all/

quote:

its not remote its local to your machine

ff.kis.scr.kaspersky-labs.com

resolves to

which is a private non-routable address

quote:

The problem is that this could change without notice at any moment. The domain is resolved through their DNS, not locally, so the fact that it "currently" resolves to a loopback address is moot.

I checked: Even with every single bit of protection disabled - all protection entries disabled, all secure data input disabled, Firefox browser plugin disabled; the mere fact that Kaspersky is running is sufficient to inject javascript to websites.

Is this bad

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is it illegal to DVR the show and play it back on a computer?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

You should do it for them like they asked.

And then charge them megabucks to fix the problem when they get sued.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Can bitcoin solve this

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Volguus posted:

What's the consensus here about not allowing pasting into password fields? In my opinion it lowers security by preventing the use of password managers, while bringing nothing to the table. Are there engineers out there that favour this approach towards password fields?

gently caress all the apps and websites that don’t let me paste. Especially if it’s on my phone. I hope everyone who made the decision to disable paste rots in hell.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Why is that news? It’s well known that there are poo poo ad networks out there that serve malware, loving JavaScript bitcoin miners, and system prompts that try to look as close to iOS/android assets as possible.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Give us your password!"
"What!"
"The password to your computer!"
"What!"
""The password you use to login to your computer!"
"What"
*Sigh* "Okay, let's start over. You sign in to your computer, right?"
"Right."
"So you type something in."
"Yes."
"What do you type in?"
"The password."
"So your password is the password?"
"No, the password is my username!"
"So both your username and password are the password?"
"No."
"So what is your password?"
"What."
"The password to your computer!"
"What!"
"The password you use to login to your computer!"
"What!!"
"Stop saying "what" or so help me God I will kill you!"
"I'm just trying to help!"

Reminds me of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLE7zsJk4AI

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Samizdata posted:

Because, yeah, my thermite and C4 bomb has a mercury switch...

(Actually, an ex-housemate of mine had to get a machine returned after months and months of seizure, because his OLD housemate was in a nasty situation with his live-in girlfriend and HER ex, and her ex called the cops and said both the guys were into child porn and they got raided and all the electronics outright pulled.)

:stare:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Fork it, ignore the entire premise, deploy lovely code developed by a HS senior in C, ignore exploits, declare more secure thing.

Fill it up with nonsense too. Licenses that don’t make sense. Header blocks bigger than the code. Require Java to compile a JSON compatible input file (that you preprocess from Markdown) to a whatever code/language Etherum uses.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Isn’t he like an actual murderer?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Finally, we've found a new economic model for porn sites to replace banner ads.

Replace? Why not buttcoins and banner ads?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don’t want to remember my myspace login. I’m not ready for that trip to the past.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The users on their forums are incredible. The amount of mental gymnastics they need to overcome is honestly amazing.

“I’ve got nothing to hide.”
“I’m not a pirate so this doesn’t affect me.”
“They said this is only used against pirates, so I’m fine.”
“Who cares if they steal your passwords, are you afraid they’re gonna log into your pornhub account?”

My favorite one was a guy claiming he was in the cyber security field and (paraphrased): “I don’t see any technical issues here because it only steals your passwords if you’re a pirate. Ethical issues yes, but not technical. Everything is fine.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

They transmitted the stolen passwords over http.

https://www.fidusinfosec.com/fslabs-flight-simulation-labs-dropping-malware-to-combat-piracy/