Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CaladSigilon posted:

I'm still saddened that Firefox is majorly dragging their heels on implementing support in the browser. There''s an add-on that works pretty much perfectly (minus for a couple of sites that intentionally don't support it -- looking at you, Google); it shouldn't take them so long.

I mean, christ, look at this mess https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1065729.

What the gently caress, that bugzilla thread.

I thought people got pissy in the request thread that FF ESR include "esr" in its DisplayName in the Win reg. Holy gently caress I had no idea.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Infosec needs to have a separate authority chain so they can't just be squished in the name of cost savings by a single man.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Cool, infosec thread was pretty activ- :suicide:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

h- wh- how

okay freggin how

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Burning a dumpster full of passwords would be waaaaaay better than volunteering passwords.

Like, take a moment to appreciate that this metaphor is better than reality.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Recommended CISM study guides?

My employer is paying my way because reasons, just need a book to cram before forgetting all the formalisms of the exam material five years later :D

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 19, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That indictment.

Well, we aren't going to see poo poo on this for months

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

So...yeah.

That happened.

https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/905946778608050176

https://twitter.com/x0rz/status/906046732722679808

https://twitter.com/mrjohnkelly73/status/906048026665472001

https://twitter.com/Daniel15/status/905953979934187520

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 8, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lain Iwakura posted:

July 29th, they knew that they had a breach. Three managers dumped stock shortly afterward but it was totally coincidental.

August 22nd, they register a domain as outreach regarding the breach.

September 7th, they announce the breach.

For the first time in my career, I am way more interested in how the bureaucracy played out than the technicals of the breach.

It wasn't just "three managers," it was the CIO, CEO, and another dude.

Insider trading is something that we actually still seek justice for in this country, so expect them to be at least investigated.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CLAM DOWN posted:

I honestly feel like giving up on this industry sometimes. It doesn't matter what we do from an infosec perspective, this poo poo is only getting worse. It's disheartening as gently caress that still, after all these breaches, including new ones like this, it feels like we're fighting an uphill battle.

Its okay.

It has always been on fire, everyone everywhere is running around with their hands on fire right now, and especially with the commoditization of IT, people will be running around with their hands on fire in the future.

https://twitter.com/awoodash/status/906193650421551105

This one reminded me of The Phoenix Project

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CLAM DOWN posted:

I need a fancy badass infosec related job title for a new set of business cards, help

what do you do

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Martytoof posted:

It's hard to dumb yourself down enough to answer some of those questions :smith:

^^^^

Studying was an exercise in "English Language Vocabulary Extension: CISSP"

Or, how I learned to stop thinking and love the buzzword.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

fyallm posted:

"Let me get into the weeds and then once I have a better understanding we can circle back around, until then can I get some air cover?" - Every corporate meeting these days for me.

The Something Awful Forums > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > Infosec Operator HQ

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Username: admin
Password: admin

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Just post your ssn, birth, and name on your Facebook and make your profile public.What's the difference.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CCleaner

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"Hi there's a payload on our installer that we didn't know about"

I actually want to see if cylance picks this up, pinging a consultant

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Heh, almost everyone on virustotal misses it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The Fool posted:

Who didn't?

ClamAV; I am not familiar with it

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

De-escalation training, day 1:

Don't tell someone to gently caress off from the outset.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

*busts door open, panting* ms tools..... minimum feature set..... *collapses to the floor*

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

holy poo poo equifax needs to be destroyed

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"Eh you have to have a compromised machine to escape to the hypervisor, and because of our VPN you can't get into our network from the outside so "

Spiceworks community is awful. Its like cybersecurity theater. Security cargo cult?

"Do these things, scan these firewall ports and we're safe! Because intrusion = network exploits, cybersecurity = a network problem."

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lain Iwakura posted:

Time to put machine learning IPSes on every internal router and switch.

Alfajor posted:

Curious, and I think this is the best place for this query:
My $company's internal IT has recently started deploying a lot of DLP tools and whatnot. Since I run a lot of VMs from my lab, and those are not managed by internal IT, and do have internet access: does $company see that VM's web traffic? Is there some sort of encapsulation once traffic passes from guest to host, and upstream?
Is the answer the same for all hypervisors, from workstation to ESXi, also counting KVM, HyperV, etc.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

2017 has been loving amazing, and never let someone tell you otherwise.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CLAM DOWN posted:

NIST 800-53 is too long :(

you working on low, medium moderate, or high?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Or maybe trade their internal auditor for a good firm.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

How Can You Expect A Security Company To Provide Better Service If They Don't Practice, Practice, Practice?

-lovely IT Rag Headline

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Martytoof posted:

"(...) and added that investigators still are not certain that they have completely evicted the intruders from the network"

no loving way

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Thanks Ants posted:

:rip:

Don't worry, just buy this new Cyber Insurance rather than preventing anything.

Real talk, when you finally produce a bottom line on your risk to business continuity and ip, buy appropriate insurance.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

orange sky posted:

What's stopping Equifax from starting a spinoff with nothing related to their brand, transfer their managers and sell all their data to the spinoff, effectively cleaning their image?

Nothing.

Blackwater-playbook.txt

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

orange sky posted:

I'd say that's gonna happen a lot in the future, when companies find out they've been hacked for the last 5 years without noticing

That plus.every state entity.

Evis posted:

Hey as long as the industry is attributing validity and value to my empty, overworked soul that's okay.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Furism posted:

I understand that the USA are really full throttle in favor of free-market, weak state, strong companies, etc.. How does one keep thinking like this when they see what you quoted? Is anybody, anybody who doesn't have a direct stake that is, in agreement that class actions are bad, etc. ? This is a genuine question from a dirty left-wing European who cannot wrap his head around this. Send me my PM if you prefer (this not being D&D).

I think at least some small part of it is how short our memories are, and how powerfully conditioned we seem to be to give every possible benefit of the doubt to the invisible hand of money -- capitalism as something that cultivates self-policing, ethical behavior. My much more personal opinion is that we frequently conflate capitalism, patriotism, and Christianity -- so many Americans fuse those three separate things into a single lens through which they interpret the world. I'm only really comfortable living where I do because my husband is a canadian citizen with a current passport with our marriage certificate stapled inside

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mewse posted:

Where's the dating site for me to seduce American chicks with my Canadian passport Obama????????????

https://www.ofa.us
http://www.dsausa.org

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The Fool posted:

password_requirements.txt

What actual authentication system would legitimately have this character class restriction?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CLAM DOWN posted:

Bank websites (lol)

u fokken wot

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Are you using a tool to help you link your existing controls to new requirements, a la ServiceNow GRC or KB4 KCM? Or are you just working with spreadsheets?

example, control "Bitlocker is turned on and managed with gpos, we run a monthly report to confirm" mapped to 800-53:sc-28, fedramp sc-28, pr.ds1, 800-122 PII 4.3, 800-171 3.13.16....."

You can save a lot of time in either of the above as KB4 and Servicenow have hired dudes to enter frameworks into their apps and do a lot of the cross-framework mapping for you

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

get a remote desktop solution in place that actually does federated login

ask the 3rd party if they even know that that means

you're looking for a user experience that is
1) enter username and primary auth pw
2) get a mfa challenge of some sort
3) there is no third step, they're in