Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

FunOne posted:

Best recommendations for password managers? Surely keeping them all in a Google Spreadsheet isn't considered best practice. I'm not interested in spending money on a service though. How is Safewin Cloud?

Local only KeePass/PasswordSafe are decent.

Online I'd say lastpass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

FSMC posted:

Are there any safe keepass or 1pass ports for android? I went for lastpass a few years ago because all the android apps for keepass looked like sketchy unofficial ports.

1password has an android app, I can't really speak to it's safety though.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
Is there ever a valid reason for the PasswordNotRequired AD attribute to be set to True?

PBS fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 23, 2015

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

OSI bean dip posted:

Microsoft has terrible documentation on this but its purpose is not for the user but for the administrator to set a blank (null) password. With this flag, users cannot change their passwords to blank but passwords can be set to blank by an administrator.

Ah alright. So it doesn't necessarily mean the password is null or that you can proceed past authentication without one, but the potential for accounts with null passwords is there so long as it's enabled.

PBS fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 23, 2015

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
If you log into a website with a user id and an rsa token (generated on a laptop / mobile, using a pin), would the login to the website be considered 2fa?

It seems to meet the requirements. (something you have, something you know)

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

EVIR Gibson posted:

No. For proper 2fa you need something you know (password) and something you have (token).

The userid can easily not be something you only know especially in an environment that combines first names and last names for the username or where you publicly post.

edit: example: I am John Anthony Smith. You are Angela Julia Faraday. My user name is "jasmith". I take Angea's token. Just because I happen to know that her username is most likely "ajfaraday" is not enough to satisfy "something you know". It is better said as "something you privetly know" or in most cases password.

Just don't be like some sites I've assessed where they used tokens and replaced the "you know" password with a grid of images so you select the one that you picked during account creation or something Web 2.0.

I figured someone might interpret it that way, I wasn't mentioning the userID as a second factor, I was just mentioning that it was a field that was present. Sorry for the confusion.

To reword my question, I'm curious if the website login itself is considered 2FA if the only login requirements are a UserID and a "passcode".

The passcode itself would likely be considered 2FA since you need an RSA enrolled device and to know the PIN used to generate the token. (have/know fulfilled)

The benefit I see to this approach is you're only entering a TOTP on public/insecure devices. This is of limited use from the perspective of protecting data that's being accessed on a public device, but it would prevent capturing the credentials and using them for some other system.

The fault is that the password you're now authenticating with is just eight numeric characters that changes every X seconds.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Subjunctive posted:

If you force the user to change their password after every login, does simple u+o auth become 2-factor? I certainly wouldn't say so.

I get what you're saying (maybe), but in this case the password itself is 2fa to get.

If I'm answering my own question I'd say no, the weblogin itself isn't 2fa because you're just entering a single passcode to authenticate. (Even though the passcode itself is 2fa to get)

I'm wondering if this kind of login would be considered secure overall, and what any obvious pitfalls to it would be.

PBS fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 16, 2016

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Dex posted:

i'm confused. securid works with your pin(something you know) and your token code(something you have, changes every 60 seconds), and the two of those must be correct when you're challenged. so your passphrase is PASSWORD123456 or PASSWORD456789 or whatever. are you asking about using the code _only_? don't do that.

edit: apparently you're not but i'm still confused by the question

Let me explain a little further.

The goal is to log into X website, the website login page has two fields. One field is UserID, the other is Passcode.

The passcode itself is something you generate. You generate the passcode by entering your PIN into an RSA SecureID token client, either on a phone or computer.

So if your PIN is 123456, you input this into the SecureID token client and it will spit out something like 01923227.

Go back to the webpage, enter userid in userid field, enter 01923227 in the passcode field, hit login.

PBS fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 16, 2016

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
There's a lockout policy in place.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
Seems as simple as not having autofill on. I have lastpass set so I manually fill username/password fields.

The near-zero effort it takes to use their service on multiple devices is what has kept me with them, maybe something better will come along some day.

I've seen dashlane around recently, not sure they really offer anything that no one else does. Their "security" page isn't very reassuing, https://www.dashlane.com/security

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

OSI bean dip posted:

So what will you do for the next vulnerability?

I sent them an email asking them to stop having vulnerabilities, I'm pretty sure all potential issues will now be resolved.

I sent similar emails to Oracle, Microsoft, Adobe, Cisco, and Apache as well. I like to try to be proactive.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

OSI bean dip posted:

I don't think that you understand the problem with LastPass.

Other than being a big juicy target maybe I don't.

Seems like few devs actually give a poo poo about security, and internally everything is somehow a shitshow with walls thrown up around it.

From my viewpoint no known major compromises for as long as they've been around given the target on their back is decent. Are you aware of an exact alternative that you'd consider to be more secure? If yes, can you explain your reasoning?

I value your opinion if you care to expound.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

OSI bean dip posted:

Here's the thing: LastPass cannot be audited. You have no idea about the server-side aspect of how it runs and there have been far many problems. Nobody in here will be able to tell us how the server-side works and any suggestion that they're confident that they have made things secure is kidding themselves and are really giving charlatan-level advice.

1Password and KeePass are more than fine especially when you combine it with a cloud synchronization service like Dropbox, OneDrive, et cetera. Yes. Those services have problems in themselves, but if LastPass is breached in the right way (it's more than the cryptography we have to worry about here), all the passwords are going to be exposed. If someone gets their hand on a bunch of 1Password or KeePass databases, they're going to have to crack each individual file to get anything.

KeePass and 1Password can rely on the length of time between now and long-past the heat death of the universe to protect your passwords if you don't set a lovely master password. LastPass just needs one simple breach and thousands upon thousands of users are going to be hosed.

This is not the first LastPass problem nor will it be the last.

I appreciate the reply.

In summary, you're saying that any company that provides a service exactly like lastpass's would be considered similarly a bad decision to utilize?

Realistically, what separates lastpass from any other company that I have to place a fair amount of trust in to keep my money/information/etc secure? (If anything beyond the obvious that it stores my passwords for all other services)

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

OSI bean dip posted:

Yes. Anyone who follows the same model like LastPass is likely to have the same problem.

As with all cloud-based services, you have to rely on someone else to ensure that your data does not get exposed either through incompetence or by an oversight in the design--so far LastPass has yet to achieve defending itself from either. Again, you still run the risk by sharing your password databases on a cloud service, but you gain more control over mitigating the effects because you can rely on the format of the 1Password or KeePass files to ensure that the passwords stay safe--I'd still change all the passwords if my KeePass file or whatever was exposed, but it buys you a near infinite amount of time provided that the password set for the database is good enough.

LastPass cannot provide you that level of security at all.

It seems like a significant convenience/feature loss to switch off, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to look at the alternatives a bit more.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

ming-the-mazdaless posted:

Honest is not brutal.
This kind of poo poo is the curse of IT and Info Sec.

It's definitely brutal. It being honest or a curse to IT/InfoSec doesn't change that.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Those replies, 10/10.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
1password makes it hilariously difficult to import from lastpass.

https://support.1password.com/import-lastpass/

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

OSI bean dip posted:

Welcome to the hell that is getting your data from a cloud-based service.

LastPass wins on the import for sure.

Looking though the import to 1password now as well, total poo poo tier import. Might as well have done it by hand, going to have to anyway.

1/12 Stars

PBS fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 22, 2017

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Cup Runneth Over posted:

LastPass -> Tools -> Import From -> LastPass

:confused:

yes I know

Trashed 1password, it butchered the import completely. Tested out the form fill and it doesn't even work on some popular sites I tried. (With new, non-butchered items)

New subscription based model they're using is 3$ a month, 3x the cost of lastpass premium which isn't even necessary anymore.

Yeah, security is important so lastpass needs to go, but I don't see 1password as a viable replacement for it.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Export from the browser plugin is fine, it's even what 1password tells you to do. 1password seems to just be incapable of importing correctly.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

OSI bean dip posted:

So what languages does he code in primarily?

HTML

oh

PBS fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 29, 2017

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
Humble Bundle up with some decent books if anyone's interested. Don't think I saw this posted here yet.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/cybersecurity-wiley

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

mewse posted:

Snagged this. I didn't own a copy of Applied Cryptography so it was kinda a no-brainer

You may've read it already, but Cryptography Engineering has superseded it and is also in the bundle.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
*snip*

PBS fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 4, 2017

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
The fix apparently breaks file sharing.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

gourdcaptain posted:

And in "I am genuinely completely baffled", my Lenovo Yoga 700-11isk, the Skylake (Intel Core m5-6Y54) tablet convertible that tests vulnerable to the Intel Management Engine issues with Intel's detection tools but wasn't on Lenovo's list of vulnerable laptops:
A) I called them up, spent way too long on the phone convincing them that "yes, this is something you have to fix not Intel, yes, it tests vulnerable, yes, your latest BIOS update from 10/30/2016 doesn't fix it", and was told they'd have to ask Intel about it.
B) A week and change later, it shows up finally on the list of vulnerable laptops with a fix to be released "TBD."
C) ...a day later, the laptop vanishes from the list again.
Genuinely, what?

I'm surprised it even went that far.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
Anyone here have experience with BeyondTrust's Password Safe?

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is this the place to ask about the security of popular plug-ins? My wife mentioned the "Honey" plug-in to me, the one that automatically finds coupons. For some reason it sent off spyware alarms in my head. Is that valid? Is there a site that keeps track of stuff like this?

It tracks the pages you visit (ofc), but beyond that it's a fairly popular and well known plugin.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
My company has recently started forcing cache-control headers that turn off all client/server side caching for all of our webapps via our shared apache servers.

Is this common, or is it as dumb as it seems?

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Space Gopher posted:

If you're only talking about APIs, it might make sense as step zero in figuring out a caching strategy. API response caching gets important at scale, but "don't cache anything" is a safe default while you catalog your endpoints and try to understand what requests you can serve from cache and what needs to hit the backing server every time.

If it includes static content it is the second dumbest possible option; I hope you like pointless infrastructure load.

(But watch out for the even dumber option of "oh crap, we can't sustain this load, better set client-side max-age to some very high value everywhere!" that you might see in the backlash - if you're not set up with sensible revision control already then you're going to have a very bad time rolling out hotfixes to static content)

No, everything. I'm told the decision comes down from infosec.

I assume they blindly don't trust that applications are handling caching properly and so strip the headers and force their own.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Yeah, I assume that's talking about using it for pages that it should be used for, not recommending it be blindly set for 100 random applications.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
Anyone implemented Swimlane?

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
Anyone used Phantom, Swimlane, or some other security automation tool?

Trying to sign up for the phantom community edition, but they're insisting on me providing my work address, which I'm not looking to do.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

dogstile posted:

If this thread has taught me anything its that I should never get into infosec or i'll be abrasive and mad all the time.

You'd probably actually fit right in at most orgs.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Apex Rogers posted:

Mind linking to the secfuck thread?

They keep closing it and opening new ones, looks like this is the current though.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3855827

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

D. Ebdrup posted:

I suspect computing made a mistake in going from something that could be reasoned about, to the state today where there's something like 20 instructions with branch prediction in flight at any given time, the microcode is responsible for changing the CISC-like instruction set that amd64 claims to be into more RISC-like instructions plus a bunch of circuitry specific instructions for vector cores, et cetera, plus whatever else is actually inside a chip, especially when it seems like not even the manefacturers understand the full implications of what happens when you're putting an almost 50-year virtual machine on top of the mess that is OoO, as is the case with C which is used for a heck of a lot of most modern OS'.
So at this point, I'm half-convinced that it's a good idea to lean towards something in-order and opensource (on the somewhat dubious theory that at least its possible for anyone to audit it, even though it'll probably only be audited by a few people in reality) like RISC-V if you're doing anything security-related.

Having trouble getting past how long your sentences are.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Docjowles posted:

Literally changing the term to "offensive" in order to make the text less offensive is :discourse:

I wonder if they got offended by it. :suspense:

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

baka kaba posted:

The thing about LastPass is (:owned: aside) it works fine until it doesn't, and then it's a real pain to try and recover. Like usually if you sign up for a site, you can click the nice "generate password" option and submit your deets, and then the extension pops up a thing saying "I see you created an account! Want me to add it?" and you go yep. Except sometimes it doesn't do that, because the site confused it, and then you have to go looking for the generated password history and finding the one you used (hint: it's not the one at the top or bottom of the list) by trying to log in, and then manually add the account details to your vault

And all kinds of other things - as an automated system it just isn't reliable, and I honestly wouldn't recommend it to anyone who's not technically minded because when it messes up it's time for tech support. A notebook is probably a better bet

Yeah, I've been having this issue more and more recently, except I can never find a generation history.

I've started just generating it and copying it to the clipboard so if it doesn't save I can manually create the site.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
Free > 3$ a month

I think I tried 1Password about a year back and it butchered the lastpass import. I also recall it struggling to fill out / save forms.

Also it can't properly handle a 2 screen login process, lastpass can.

PBS fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The Google login is 2 screen and Tumblr is 3 screen and 1Password has always worked flawlessly with those

Got instructions? I see no way to get it to work without telling it to fill out the details multiple times.