Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

This might be more appropriate for a mobile phone thread, but it's also security related. I've heard that it's a good idea to disable wifi when you're away from home, because big box stores like Walmart have their own APs setup to log hotspot scans from mobile devices. Who knows what that data is used for, but presumably, over time, companies could use it to figure out that I buy frozen pizza and lube every other Friday.

Is disabling wifi on mobile devices when you leave home still sound advice if you're paranoid and/or privacy-minded? On iOS, I have an option in the control center to "disconnect nearby wifi until tomorrow." Is that sufficient, or should wifi actually be disabled in the settings? Or is this all a bunch of nonsense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

vanity slug posted:

iOS uses random MAC addresses when scanning for Wi-Fi networks
I know that iOS has the private MAC address option, but does that kind of tracking use MAC addresses? I recall reading somewhere that it could also use SSIDs, so that if your home network's SSID is "ABC" an AP that is collecting data would log when a phone entered the area and scanned for "ABC". Do phones even send out SSID names when they scan for wifi?

Shumagorath posted:

Windows Phone had location-aware Wi-Fi toggles; maybe iOS has the same? Either way I spent a good thirty seconds wondering how the lube and pizza go together so I dunno what Walmart’s going to infer without more spending than your ad tracking brings in.
Yeah, I don't really think Target or Aldi care that much about the pittance that my broke rear end spends on groceries, but I'm also sure that they'd love to send me mailers targeting my specific behavior and spending habits if they could do it cheaply.

mekyabetsu fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 3, 2024

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Subjunctive posted:

No, they don’t. You might not be reading very reliable things.

Or I just made it up in my head, which is equally likely. Thanks for the education. I really do appreciate it. :)