Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Today I learned that motherboard makers, in their never-ending quest to gently caress over my new builds in stupid ways, make TPMs an optional module now. Do I lose anything by doing BitLocker with PIN-only or PIN + smallest metal-clad flash drive I can find? The theoretical attack I'm picturing is a malicious boot loader that captures the PIN and transparently feeds it into the real BitLocker, which a TPM would prevent.

Can someone please remind me if you can enable the TPM later after first setting up BitLocker to be PIN-only? Does that regenerate your key / recovery key? My laptop is my only working Windows machine right now and I don't want to experiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The drive I bought supports eDrive so I'm not worried about having to undo/redo the crypto as it uses key management on the flash controller. I could also use a PIN+USB scheme in the interim so it's down to a question of whether I want to use my new desktop this week.

Also, my laptop is on TPM + PIN - that's 256-bit even with an 8-char random PIN, right?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is anyone familiar with eDrive / IEEE 1667 / Samsung Encrypted Drive? I'm trying to wrap my head around why the drives leave the factory with the capability disabled and enabling it requires you to first set it to "ready to be enabled" from Windows then secure erase then reinstall the OS from scratch, no restoring images allowed. The drive didn't come with a boot disk or anything to enable eDrive before one goes through installing their entire OS just to wipe it :psyduck:

What's more the Samsung secure erase bootable tool tells you to uncable your drive even if it's plugged directly into the board via M2, but it appears my Asus UEFI handles that just as well. I really don't want to go to all this work just to find out it somehow won't work after a clean install because I used the wrong manufacturer's secure erase, though at least I can restore an image if everything fails.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ItBurns posted:

Don't be obtuse. It's a relevant development and a significant reversal of their position (and a few poster's own positions) with regard to sharing identifying info with FB and by proxy advertisers and law enforcement where the (now) encrypted messages can be stored until/if an attack on the encryption is found.

You misread this, but I use the tip of my penis so the joke's on them!
Hahaha yeah we'll encrypt data just to store and attack it rather than doing something easy like bait-and-switching our zero-knowledge spec with DES

just buy Threema assuming you can afford 2.99

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Sorry I’m not caught up, but what’s the big push to get off LastPass? I’ve already reset my master password and have ~90 passwords left to reset or sunset. The browser extension is a bit janky but I find that’s often the site’s fault.

How bad is the export / import to 1Password in the case LastPass is fundamentally busted / incompetent?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
gently caress that’s so much worse than I knew. Moving to 1Password this weekend; thanks!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
1Password's secret management might be better than LastPass but holy poo poo is their app worse. Sync issues between the desktop app and extension, broken import from LastPass with opaque error message, pre-submission saving, and not actually saving and filling generated passwords all within my first hour.

It's not just a per-site thing either. 100% of the sites I've updated today have had the old password persist in the extension when I logged out and tried logging back in to test.

e: Ok it looks like the extension and desktop app integration is just complete trash. Extension-only for now.

e2: I figured it out. If you add 2FA, all of your sessions stay live but none of them have a valid credential, so updates fail silently or with non-specific errors. Great design.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 4, 2023

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I left the extension-to-app integration disabled* and it's working decently well, but save-before-update is a great way to unrecoverably gently caress people out of account access until the history is populated.

TBF LastPass also did that with an old ADP login for a company I haven't worked at in ten years, but that's half ADP's fault for still having garbage special character limits.

*I'm unclear what this even does, since I've been using the app to launch and fill while the extension handles changes. I think this might be my old workflow of LastPass having full vault access in the extension interfering with my thinking, and I can see why that's a bad idea. 1Password's web vault isn't great, but their local app also has some very Mac-centric quirks (UI patterns based on light switches so you click what you don't want to get what you want, and error messages for idiots).

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 4, 2023

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Everything worked using the CSV / copy-paste import, but obviously having my vault on the clipboard is a harrowing experience I wanted to avoid. Trying to directly import from LastPass returned an error in the Windows app that I'm inclined to blame on LastPass attempting to slow the exodus from their service, but support requests explaining how to work around it weren't forthcoming.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

KillHour posted:

As with nearly every episode of Black Mirror I've ever seen, it ruins any interesting morality questions by having an incredibly stupid and contrived premise. Torturing a digital copy of someone fails at any sane goal of criminal justice. It neither rehabilitates the offender, nor punishes the version of them that could theoretically commit another crime because they still exist in the real world and the version being punished does not.

They always just seem like ideas the writers had while high.
They got lazy and ripped off the same episode of The Outer Limits twice (the VR game demo-gone-wrong premise is almost identical).

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

Seems like a lot of work when I can just send an email with a payload called “2023 Layoffs.ppt”.
if my manager sent that kind of info around in a powerpoint I'd have quit already

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
As much as SMS 2FA sucks, it offloads that second factor to another corporation with a process. A bank and a few other entities do enough KYC to reset a token in person, but the rest would require your average first-line employee to do way more vetting that the phone company is already (supposed to be) doing.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 24, 2024

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Has Microsoft said anything about re-implementing the functionality Google is dropping? If not I’ll be 100% Firefox overnight.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I kept forgetting about that manifest change but it's going to gently caress over almost ten years of my browsing model - Edge with uBlock for stuff I trust, Firefox with uMatrix for stuff I don't.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I can’t believe how much the DoJ has weakened since the 90’s / 00’s such that Alphabet isn’t getting busted up for controlling the #1 browser, ad business, search, and video site. It’s just so utterly poisonous; all four of those products are demonstrably worse for it, and the synergy between two of them is actively pushing society off a cliff only slightly less energetically than Facebook.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I switched to 1Password and it’s a definite improvement in every regard except when it saves passwords (pre-submission).

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Having just moved my dad out of Apple keychain into 1Password: Do not use Apple keychain unless you want to be forever chained to iCarumba, The Worst Cloud. Exporting was entirely by hand and took me ~30min for 40 passwords.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I just got a LastPass breach incident update to the security notice e-mail of the account I closed a week ago. gg guys

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I never like leaving accounts to rot. Taking out the digital trash is satisfying and my password migration was a great opportunity to have my various e-mail aliases in that many fewer places.

I definitely agree with you that LastPass was the king of recognizing password creation and changes, but wow if they weren’t terrible at the rest. Just shutter the vault business and get into malicious javascript (but I repeat myself….)

Come to think of it I kinda wish I’d gone full Proton and aliased everything instead of having however many buckets my current provider allows.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Fuzzy recollection here, but can't anyone on the domain dump out NTLM hashes or does it require local / domain admin?

I found this but it's a bit dated: https://0xdedinfosec.github.io/pages/windows-decryption/

... and then the main weakness being that you can hashcat your way through NTLM with a toaster?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
ring ring ring
ring ring ring ring
THE RANSOM PHONE

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Some require e-mail correspondence, some have deletion mechanisms on the site proper, and others are broken relics acquired or expired. Being in Canada I also had a fourth category of “service is geo-blocked and I’m not installing a VPN just to terminate that”.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Oh yeah don’t forget ticket websites that often flag carrier NAT as “bot that hasn’t paid us” and prevents you from even logging in. This includes Ticketmaster, where calling the sales office will get you further than engineering.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Rescue Toaster posted:

I believe it just overwrites the head of the file and leaves junk in the tail, was sort of the impression I got. Though that would imply the files don't actually get smaller, which you'd think somebody would have noticed.

Also it seems to be specific to 'Markup' for screenshots, so probably doesn't affect pictures cropped with google photos? Is the impression I got.
I definitely have a photo on my drive that’s edited like this; for several versions of Windows it would show more in the thumbnail than was displayed in whatever image viewer. I could probably hex edit back to the original.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Jabor posted:

It's more likely that this is a jpeg image with an embedded thumbnail, and whatever tool cropped the original image didn't update the thumbnail. So you could recover a low-resolution version of the original, but not the original picture itself.
Hmm yeah probably that. That would also explain why Windows updated the thumbnail at some point.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I’m currently doing that with 1Password, and… horses, water, etc :bang:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Thanks Ants posted:

Will it work through the Cloudflare reverse proxy thing?
Are you talking about WARP? I've never been clear on exactly what that's doing but it looks cool...?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

rafikki posted:

I’m not seeing them permanently at each table much, but it’s becoming very common around me to have them bring a wireless terminal to the table for processing.
This has been the standard in Canada for probably ten years or more.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Ars had that writeup of AI-generated password candidates today and it mentions RockYou being (obviously) outmoded. What publicly-accessible password corpus is the gold standard today? Surely red teams aren’t expected to go darknet shopping…?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

spankmeister posted:

Link the article please.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2023/04/the-passgan-ai-password-cracker-what-it-is-and-why-its-mostly-hype/

The point of the article is to poo poo on PassGAN hucksterism, but the comment about there being much better lists in addition to good masks / rules was what interested me. I also didn’t know Markov models were in play now; it’s been a while.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Sickening posted:

RIP 1password, it was a good run.
Either post the news or gtfo.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Sickening posted:

Check down detector nerds. Jfc
yeah it’s the nerds that need to be told to check down detector :laugh:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Klyith posted:

he's the CISO for a loving collections company, everyone nod and tell him he's correct!

a collections company getting reamed out by ransom & extortion hacks is praxis
Except for all the debtor PII they have…?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

spankmeister posted:

Lmao imagine if you got some sick browser 0day and you blow it on the defcon wifi for laughs, instead of selling it for a couple hundred thou
Selling it for low six figures is almost as bad a self-own as burning it for clout.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
gently caress that sucks. I need to go back and finally finish Art of Deception.

We need better IDS / endpoint monitoring for the pancreas; poo poo is scary.

Klyith posted:

(Apologies to the rest of the thread that is tired of passwords.)
Never; I need to convince work to buy me a 4090.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 20, 2023

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Moving from LastPass to 1Password was a fun lesson in the impermanence of lovely web service middlemen and video services that got packed in with my Blurays.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
1Password for passwords and 2FA backup codes, Microsoft Authenticator for the actual 2F.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If you store the 1Password account secret somewhere safe (and don’t write your passphrase on it) then I don’t think anyone’s getting into your 1Password vault without borderline tailored malware.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I don’t need to split my vault and 2FA, but I already have, and MS Auth lets me do one-touch 2FA for the stuff I use most. If I ever switch phone operating systems again (iOS will only let you export to iCloud / Worst Cloud whereas Android backs up to OneDrive) then I’ll consider going all-in on 1Password.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Internet Explorer posted:

My only MFA not in 1Password is my MFA to get into 1Password.
That’s also my thinking; if I need 2 MFAs I might as well maintain the split I have.

There are still 2-3 accounts where I never put the whole mechanism into any vaults; just memorizing an adequate password and still using 2FA. My ability to completely recover everything from memory died with the family copper landline, so now I like to have services that can support each other and one key for each lives in my head or on-body.