Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
How is it going to record that data on any of your devices though? You'd have to be stupid to install their software on your phone or am I missing something here and they're exploiting something?

Ah I see, some apps might be using their SDK. I wonder how long before we get someone writing a program that can check for the SDK being used. I'm sure it has to have some form of normalized API calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

:byewhore:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DeaconBlues posted:

Well I want to be able to watch an mkv/play an mp3 on my desktop PC the same as most people. I don't want to fire up a VM to do that. I suppose it comes down to accepting that it's not watertight security and if I'm using a torrent that's a popular TV programme then I'm not the only one that's gonna be susceptible and there's likely to be a buzz about a recent exploit on the Web.

Pay for you Movies / TV Shows then :)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DeaconBlues posted:

I don't believe that everyone in this thread pays for all of their media, even the most security conscious. ;-)

Some of us do I guess. I stopped pirating software because Steam made it easy to get/play games and I don't have to worry about sketchy releases, cracks, etc. I stream 100% of the music/movies/tv shows I watch/listen to. Once in a blue moon I even go to the cineplex and watch something there :shobon

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I had to read that again. Remote ring0 with little to no user interaction. Root level on Linux/Unix systems. :lol::lol::lol:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure Minecraft is the malware.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The Infosec Thread: gently caress it.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I know, just look at how they spelled Centre :mad:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Potato Salad posted:

gently caress those people.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So that's a full remote root exploit that's trivial to do? Heh. Noice.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't the latest problem with LastPass something really stupid like having an API call that just let you dump all the login credentials and it was trivial to exploit or am I thinking of something else?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I'm really glad this is blowing up in their face and I truly hope it hurts them in the long run.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It's really easy not to get phished.

Manually enter the URL all the time, double check the spelling, check the certificate, then input your credentials from Keepass or whatever. It's really not that hard.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Or just keep the URLs in a text file to copy/paste, until someone hacks your URLS.txt file...

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
And I thought I was being paranoid using DNS blacklists (a la Pi Hole but not Pi Hole) on my Edgerouter, which inevitably pissed of my wife because she couldn't click on her email links because they went through list-manage.com or some poo poo. That's my story for today.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It's only freakin March. :gonk:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Maybe some of those are honeypots? :ohdear:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Fool posted:

I thought he was talking about coffee vs tea.

I lapse though the tea was a whiskey at first glance on my phone.

Oh poo poo I didn't even noticed that until you pointed it out. I thought it was people leaving their laptops open and unlocked vs. not. Image delivers on so many levels now.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
One of the best Avatar/Post combos in a while :thumbsup:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PBS posted:

Free > 3$ a month

I think I tried 1Password about a year back and it butchered the lastpass import. I also recall it struggling to fill out / save forms.

Also it can't properly handle a 2 screen login process, lastpass can.

None of these things I've had a problem with. :11tea:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blinkz0rz posted:

IT sucks, hail satan

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

I hate nearly everything about 1password. The user story is worse than lastpass in every way except for the part where lastpass fails to fix vulnerabilities or act responsibly in the face of new vulnerabilities

But the actual UX on 1password is just the worst. And yet I pay for it.

CLAM DOWN posted:

What's wrong with it??

I'm curious as to what piece of the UI is so bad as well.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Are you using the One Password X, or the binary + extension version?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CLAM DOWN posted:

....are you people using janky 3rd party add-ons or something?? Mine has worked flawlessly for a year plus now.

There were a couple versions of the non X version of the extension that didn't save passwords, or had trouble auto filling for me. Probably about a year, year and a half ago.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

Both, depending on what device I’m using

I had one of your problems, but it was when I was using the binary+extension about 1.5 years ago. When I switched to X they went away.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I'm sorry, Jon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CLAM DOWN posted:

Definitely not. Every piece of hardware I've ever tried has worked flawlessly on Windows. Even the demon boxes known as printers. Linux is a shitshow in comparison.

:same:

Audio is still a giant cluster gently caress under Linux as well.