Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Theris posted:

What's wrong with MD5? I mean, it turns my street's name (why are you using license plate numbers instead of something easy to remember when you're stretching it into a good password anyway? We're trying to keep things simple here!) into "0904572d42fdd0ef1cd93fb1047fe2d0." That's a great password! Look how long and random it is! And without involving super complicated hard to learn software like Keepass.

Don't make this more difficult than it has to be, just use md5.

Just use a password manager you doofus. KeePass is free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Inspector_666 posted:

It seems like when people get to brute force passwords these days it's because they were able to get the hashes via a compromised account and download the table, rather than somebody hammering a webserver or something.

It's still annoyingly common unfortunately. Apple iCloud celebrity nudes thing was cause they didn't have rate limiting on the webserver for instance.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

ItBurns posted:

There's no guarantee that it hasn't been backdoored and Facebook stands to gain more from doing so than it does for being 'cool' or whatever. You should probably just assume that it's not secure rather than place a ton of faith in Facebook of all people respecting your privacy.

DeaconBlues posted:

That sums up my hesitation/reluctance to install it. Too good to be true.

You guys know It takes all of 5 minutes to decompile an iOS app and/or mitm the traffic to check claims of backdooring or logging right? Objective-C doesn't even obfuscate symbols, any idiot can do it.

Like, this isn't something that you have to decide based on your personal biases against a company, you can just go check it for yourself. Theres a reason you don't hear any real security professionals saying dumb poo poo like this.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

ItBurns posted:

ITT it takes an idiot 5 minutes to guarantee that a service is free of security flaws. Thousands out of work.

Yes that is what I said, whatsapp is 100% secure. You don't at all lack reading comprehension and are a genius adding massively to this conversation.

To the people who're actually discussing in good faith, I'm in the middle of moving so can only phone post and my phone ate my first post already, so will try to add more later.

As far as decompiling the app goes, you don't need to understand the entire functionality, just ensure the implementation of axolotl is correct and matches other known versions. Easiest way is just check the symbols and function behavior against another trusted app, for instance Signal. Considering Moxie himself did the integration I'm pretty sure it's gonna be correct though. Go look him up if you're wondering why.

With regard to the network, axolotl is in fact peer to peer encryption. It's not a peer to peer connection but those are different things. The Whatsapp servers do not decrypt the traffic before passing it on because that's technically impossible. Read about public/private key encryption if you're wondering how.

Someones probably yelling about encryption stripping/forwarding on key change as a possible method for Facebook to eavesdrop. This is why I said look at the traffic. Mitm two devices that haven't talked over whatsapp before. Start a chat so the initial key exchange occurs. Look at the traffic. Do the public keys sent by each client match on both sides? Then there's no eavesdropping happening. That key exchange happens once between two devices. From that point on they are never sent again and it's impossible for Whatsapp to read traffic.

Watching the traffic will also let you confirm WhatsApp isn't some how sending something out of band. Whatsapp is run almost completely separately from Facebook, they aren't on the same infrastructure or even the same campus (frankly they kinda hate FB and do everything in their power to remain separate). It should be pretty obvious to see if something is going to a Facebook server directly. If you're worried about them sending stuff to whatsapp servers then forwarding to FB, watch for any weird other traffic that doesn't make it to the other client. If it's encrypted it should be pretty easy to diagnose if it's message info (is it bigger when you send a bigger message?)

If you're worried that maybe they save logs on the phone then send them later, jailbreak your device and browse the file system. Or leave it mitmed for a while and review the logs.

If you're paranoid enough to worry they might suddenly push an update that adds something nefarious later then just do these steps again after every update. It's easier this time cause you just need to look at the differences from the previous version. I guarantee you a few thousand other people are doing the same thing.

tl;dr whatsapps encryption was put in place by one of the biggest names in crypto who's a literal anarchist that lived on a condemned sailboat for a while. There's thousands of people smarter than anyone on this forum looking for Facebook to screw this up that have dug into this stuff in depth and given it a bill of health. It's illogical to think it's not safe.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

ItBurns posted:

In the end it comes down to whether or not you trust facebook.

:psyduck: I just.. what? Did you read my post? I laid out explicitly the technical reasons it doesn't come down to trusting facebook. The entire point is the provability of the encryption. Like, you're arguing with math here. I'm seriously just confused.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

ItBurns posted:

Noted.

Edit:

You also ignored my post, especially why you should funnel your communications, encrypted or not, through fb's servers, when they have at the very least the ability to log them and tie them with other information.

Fake second edit: Also try to post your replies here and not in yospos so I don't have to hunt for them.

Exactly what, in your mind, would logging encrypted messages allow for? Have you actually signed up for whatsapp before? Do you understand how iOS device tokens work? Do you need me to explain why the answers to those last two questions make avoiding metadata collection on whatsapp trivial for anyone whos concerned about that? Do you actually have any knowledge about anything technical being discussed? Do you need help dragging those goal posts?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Rowhammer is cool as hell and a lot of fun to play with if you have hardware it'll work on. It's also going to remain irrelevant for anyone in this thread that's not protecting nation state level secrets as long as most people still have terrible passwords and use SMS for 2fa.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

FeloniousDrunk posted:

Kind of afraid I'm being set up for a huge embarrassment. But hey, I just did this, so how much worse could it be. I shall attempt to be there. I will be likely trying to lurk, unnoticed.

It's probably hard to believe but security nerds are generally a lot nicer in real life than online.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

FeloniousDrunk posted:

Sweet. I'll be the long haired old guy just trying to fit in, you know the type.

Turns out Felonious is secretly

everyone in this thread just immediately super owned.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

DuckConference posted:

Two-factor feels like a really marginal increase in security in many cases. An attacker sophisticated enough to get my password in spite of good password hygiene is probably sophisticated enough to phone in to customer service to turn off 2-factor, or to just port my phone number. The weakest points of the system are mostly outside of our control.

And this is why you don't work in infosec (I hope).

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Furism posted:

Passwords are terrible but they are the least we can do. I mean, door keys are terrible too but there's not much choice there. Passwords wouldn't be half as bad if most websites set up a proper 2FA. It still wouldn't be perfect but much better.

Personally I'm waiting for more news on SQRL. I'd like to see some security research done on this and cryptographic attacks, peer reviews, etc. Using a public key to log on a website, and specific to that website, is pretty cool.

Looking into it (and ignoring that, like OSI said, Gibson is an idiot that should be ignored) it seems like SQRL would be a replacement for the SMS based portion of a good multi-factor authentication system, not for passwords. Pub/priv key based signing is a "thing you have" auth check, passwords are a "thing you know" auth check. Yes, the key is protected by a password as well, but verifying the password isn't done by the system being authenticated against so it shouldn't be considered an auth mechanism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

apropos man posted:

Either way it's convenience gone mad and it cannot be as safe as using a decent password manager.

Lol. You don't know what you're talking about. Smart lock is unequivocally a good idea and most likely more secure than a password manager.