Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

quote:

The root cause here seems to be that the affected WAR components ingest and process all serialized data, and have a blacklist of "bad" content.
lmao that's a good way to do things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I'm cross-posting this from the Windows Enterprise thread since I'd like perspective from a wider security-focused group too

I'm in the process of migrating off our ancient single tier Windows PKI setup. My initial thought was the standard offline root with online subordinate CA, but the more I think about it the more I'm considering just doing a single tier deployment. Our certs are generally only issued to domain-joined machines via auto-enrollment, and they're only used for internally-facing resources. In the event of the online CA getting compromised, it seems like it'd be quicker to remove the singler-tier CA's cert from Trusted Root CA's via GPO than it would be to online the offline root, revoke the subordinate CA's cert, publish the new CRL, and trust the clients to check the updated CRL - especially considering the CRL expiration on an offline root CA is typically pretty long (weeks or months).

Am I missing anything here?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Rufus Ping posted:

Password managers that make you copy and paste by hand or work by blindly typing into any window with a plausible title are completely retarded, fail to protect users from phishing sites, and shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone. Please don't use them or recommend them to people
how exactly do you want people to enter passwords

autotype is bad, but given that most password manager exploits have been exploiting the browser plugins as opposed to the safe itself, and the frequency with which field names change (or are dynamically generated), copy-paste seems like as good a method as any

wyoak fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 25, 2019

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Watchtower is a moderately useful add-on in the newer versions, up to you if it's worth the cost

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

D. Ebdrup posted:

You're posting in the infosec thread, and you can't make the definitely hugely massive leap of logic that if standards aren't open and implemented across different alternatives so that people have a choice, you're just putting money directly into Alphabets pockets since they make the vast majority of their money by tracking people?
what?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

Same, I was gonna take my OSCP this year but then Covid hit and my company is now declining to pay for the test, so I'll wait till next year and keep practicing.
OSCP is super fun, I got it a couple years ago and now I've forgotten nearly everything

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
is being brought to me by Brian Krebs bad?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

Brian Krebs is an ex Windows Admin who plays security and regularly says poo poo that is based on little evidence. He's a pariah in the Infosec community, especially because he doesn't take criticism well. Kinda like Kevin Mitnick but Kevin does actually know a lot of things, even though he sold his soul.

This. AND in this case, he's trying to exploit fear to make himself a bunch of money selling a product that might not actually help.
my impression of him was that he was a reporter, not an infosec professional, but i haven't really paid much attention to him lately so if he doxxed people that's good to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Ynglaur posted:

A credit bureau lost all of their customer records. Nobody went to jail. I don't think anybody was even charged (except maybe for dumping stock?). So, probably somewhere between lol and zero.
Solarwinds doesn't keep the rich rich like the credit bureaus do and they directly screwed the US gov't, there's a decent chance there's actually some blowback here. Maybe even a slightly smaller golden parachute!