Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower
A year ago, I did a Proof of Concept for insider threat detection in a hospital group.
By creating a user behaviour index, I was able to identify a few misuse events, that pointed to a potential auth issue.

After playing around a bit, I found the following:
billing system
patient management for ICU, Pre/post natal, Surgical and Ward
Dispensary
Practitioner management

I was able to add myself as a medical practitioner, prescribe medication, assign patients to my roster, order a transfer and ultimately kidnap children from their hospitals by co-opting their ambulance service.

None of the above had any form of authentication in place.
All of the above are hosted in a lovely server farm in a consumer isp.

As of yesterday, nothing had been done to resolve this clusterfuck. What is everyone's opinion on the matter? Full public disclosure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

OSI bean dip posted:

Talk to a lawyer; health care is one of those things that could get you sued to all hell. Are you American? Did you do this as an individual or are you working for a firm that was hired to do the PoC? Do you have any NDAs with them?

As much as health care organizations need reform, full public disclosure may work very much against your favour.

Thanks for the advice. Lawyers have been approached.

ming-the-mazdaless fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 7, 2016

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

Sharktopus posted:

do you think that patient safety will be increased more by you politely asking the hospital to spend resources, or by forcing them to fix these very real problems?
The latter and only the latter.

ming-the-mazdaless fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 7, 2016

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Tavis Ormandy turned his terrible gaze towards Symantec and hit paydirt. Expect big rounds of emergency patching in the next 3 months if you're running their products. Or maybe they don't do anything and you get some 0day CVEs when he goes public.

https://twitter.com/taviso/status/725816306209951744

On this subject.
How in the gently caress, in 2016 are we still encountering failures to patch and hold a spreadsheet with just the most cursory loving information about your critical apps and hosts.
AV: Heartbleed - 107 instances of vulnerable OpenSSL in AV. This version is three years old.
Java: 44 versions, not one instance of current revision - IT confirms no need for Java, so it really isn't a problem as far as they are concerned, as in "we don't use Java so we don't see this as a risk".
Adobe acrobat reader: 63 versions - Including adobe acrobat reader 6.

This customer has 107 staff and 3 computer janitors and an IT manager.
Customer allows personal webmail, including unvetted 100+ Megabyte downloads from Tencent QQ personal webmail service.
Customer allows unencrypted USB.

Customer feels proud that they have a handle on Data Loss through dropbox. How?
Well, only IT can access drop box and will download your files and send them to you via email (which has led to a full scale information security breach and the reason I am involved). The IT admin responsible for downloading? Yes, you guessed it. The same pokemon downloading fucktard that is in charge of patch management. The same IT admin with Java 6 and Adobe 11.0.10 on his workstation.

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

Thanks Ants posted:

A KnowBe4 subscription

With "training" by mitnick? No thanks.

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower
loving AV poo poo merchants must die in a toxic chemical fire.
In this particular case, webroot.

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower
Successful execution of mimikatz (not via metasploit) on an end-point is not a threat according to webroot.

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower
Are VulnScan vendors the new AV shitbirds?

I am having the worst time trying to do business with Tenable.

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower
Info sec people, let's have a show of hands.
Would you react badly if you conducted a P-o-C for a product and the vendor passed you data that had been completely scrubbed of any identifying detail? If not, would you react badly if the report covered criminal activity and the vendor asked you to pay for the detail?

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

Mustache Ride posted:

Who is it? I'll put them on my vendor ignore list.

let me :yotj: first.

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

Dex posted:

brutal, but fair

Honest is not brutal.
This kind of poo poo is the curse of IT and Info Sec.

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

Cugel the Clever posted:

Akamai's kicked him off their servers, because that's totally the appropriate response to incipient cyber-terrorism...

They were offering him services pro bono.

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower
:yotj:
Senior Research Analyst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

Thanks Ants posted:

"Hi please check over these pentest results for your customer"

*100 page PDF of port scans including public IP addresses that are nothing to do with this company, just happen to be on the same ISP. No executive summary, no conclusions drawn.*

Job's a good one!