Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I was hoping I could get some advice in what certs I should aim for after security+ if I'm hoping to be in more of a consilting or management gig long term?
I was on the admin side of IT for a long time, where I finished mcsa 2003-16 and some cisco and comptia certs. It's nice to know how the systems and networks work and what actual admins are up against because it makes admins mire comfortable when I can speak their language and relate to their struggles.
But I don't know if pentest+ vs cissp vs something in cmmc is more relevant at the moment?
I feel like they all demonstrate different value to different roles?
Is there something beyond security+ that would be must have for most serious security engineers? There are a lot of auditing and assessment certs for cmmc that require technical knowledge butthose roles also seem to require a lot of ability to talk people into your point of view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah, even "requirements" are nothing more than a wishlist. If you think you can do the job, apply. If they have no one else they will consider you.

We posted a job that any experienced admin could do about 6 months ago and got 2 candidates within the first several weeks.
We hired the candidate that didn't want help with relocation expenses to move halfway across the country.

As a case in point that HR isn't the only department who doesn't know what to put into the job description: the person we hired reportedly checked "almost none" of the boxes in the credentials in the job description but they were a dream candidate to find when our team finally got their resume and this person fixed something in the first 2 months that our "SME" had been working on for about 2 years with no success.

Companies hire bad candidates all the time because they:
Already had clearance
Already had an expensive cert
Already had a "manager" title
Already "managed" 2 or more people
Already "did" security somewhere else

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Earlier today I had an admin try to tell me that the dev environment they manage didn't need a documented security baseline because putting it behind VDI desktops was enough of a mitigation.

Yes, I'm sure that's what the CMMC auditors will agree with when they ask why this node of our in-scope systems has no documented baselines.

I'd wish that all the mouthbreathing, knuckle-dragging, lazy-as-gently caress admins would just get paid to stay home but then we'd have like 1/25th of the staff needed to do anything.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I didn't get a job in "IT Security" until 3 years ago because... 14 years ago, when IT security started being buzz word and companies started rolling out CISSP paper mills, I figured these the engineer/admin field and "security" field was about merge. I was doing "IT Security" (automating audit alerts, writing SOPs, writing POA&Ms for my boss because he wanted to see what big issues were out there and when I'd have them fixed) becuase otherwise I got to spend entire weekends rebuilding environments.

I was not just wrong. I was what I now refer to as "gently caress-me-in-the goat-rear end" wrong. Now, I have to defend why someone should hire me instead of someone who's been a "security analyst" for 5 years but can't make a network diagram or someone who's got a CISSP but can't or won't run an incident response exercise.

Get your CISSP or some high level security cert yesterday, folks.

I mean some places now have rolled toward DevSecOps, but good luck finding them.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 23, 2024

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I'm not a fan of Oracle, atlassian, or loving Palo Alto right now

I love how smug I feel when I don't get an interview for an infosec job I applied for and then the company has a huge information security issue.
There's probably no difference I would have made, but they don't know that :argh:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I finally registered to take the CISSP.
I've used the official study guide, some classes, Destination CISSP, CISSP flash cards, podcasts.
Basically everything I can think of other than actual Brain Dumps/test banks.

Any last advice from anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Execs: We have a meeting on Monday in conference room x.

Security: When is the meeting? Who is coming? What company do they work for?

Execs: We have a meeting on Monday.