Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
I think I got it!

A couple PDFs off my DTRPG wishlist. Thanks, de-grincher!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
So who grinched Spincut?

Name and shame.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Sion posted:

So who grinched Spincut?

Name and shame.

The United States Postal Service.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Spincut posted:

I think I got it!

You're welcome!

There's a second (physical) part on the way, should arrive Friday if Amazon isn't lying to me.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Kai Tave posted:

The United States Postal Service.

I CAN'T BUY A FUCKIN CUSTOM TITLE FOR THE USPS.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Sion posted:

I CAN'T BUY A FUCKIN CUSTOM TITLE FOR THE USPS.

Well, you could but vandalism is legally frowned upon.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

To be fair, FedEx is also complicit in the grinching, by inexplicably handing off delivery duty to the USPS even though Spincut lives in a perfectly normal, deliverable home in a major city. But yeah, the USPS took custody of the package and then lost it.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Spincut posted:

I think I got it!

Hypnobeard posted:

You're welcome!

There's a second (physical) part on the way, should arrive Friday if Amazon isn't lying to me.

Second part is out for delivery (not by the post office). :)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Communications between me and EatinCake since December 30th:

quote:

EatinCake:

12/30/15

to me
Hey!

Egg on my face, I blanked on shipping it out before I left DC. Have everything to go, will be shooting it out on the 4th. Will try to put something extra good in there to make up for the completely miss on getting out by Christmas. For what it's worth, one of the gifts is [REDACTED], so he'll be getting something pretty unique.

Should I post in the thread to give him the heads up that there's till stuff on the way?
Trad Games Secret Santa <tgsecretsanta@gmail.com>

12/30/15

to EatinCake
Hi EatinCake. :(

Well, basically, you've Grinched. It's good that you're ready to make things right, though. I do think you should post; specifically, I think you can break the veil of anonymity and apologize directly to Rhjamiz. I'm sure he'll be OK with getting what you send when you can; those [REDACTED] sound cool. Throwing in a little extra is a good plan.

Jan 4 (13 days ago)

to EatinCake
Hi EatinCake:
Based on your previous email, I believe you're planning to ship Rhjamiz' gifts today. If possible, can you get tracking info, and provide it? Regardless, I would like you to confirm here, and in the thread, when your gifts are sent; and, I think you owe Rhjamiz a direct apology.

Thanks

Jan 13 (4 days ago)

to EatinCake
EatinCake, can I have a status update please? Rhjamiz hasn't received anything yet.

Jan 15 (2 days ago)

to EatinCake
C'mon man, I look like a total rear end in a top hat right now for not getting Rhjamiz de-grinched. You can't just promise to do stuff and then disappear for days.

I'm pulling the trigger on de-grinching for Rhjamiz. And, EatinCake, your intentions no longer matter: you failed to get a gift to Rhjamiz before leaving on a trip, and then failed to make good after you got back from your trip. You also failed to apologize, or even post in this thread at all. I waited for two more weeks after the date you said you'd mail something, but without tracking info or any confirmation from you, I can't have any confidence that you've actually done anything at all, and it's just not fair to make Rhjamiz wait any longer.

You may not participate in TG Secret Santa next year, and you're going into the hall of shame, too. May Santa have mercy on your soul.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Hey, Spincut, did you get the second part of the de-Grinch? I swear you live in some back alley, because the carrier Amazon used didn't make the delivery on Friday for some reason.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spincut's address is a house. I know because I used to live pretty close to that address. It's just a goddamn house, right on the street, there's zero excuse for delivery people failing to deliver items. There are ten thousand houses just like it in that area so it's not like it'd be this big unusual challenge.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Leperflesh posted:

Spincut's address is a house. I know because I used to live pretty close to that address. It's just a goddamn house, right on the street, there's zero excuse for delivery people failing to deliver items. There are ten thousand houses just like it in that area so it's not like it'd be this big unusual challenge.

Yeah, I figured, it's just weird that the carrier Amazon picked and the post office have trouble. Theoretically I'm supposed to complain if it's not delivered tomorrow so :henget:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

I did some looking and found a picture of Spincut, maybe we could include this along with the rest of the shipping info to help the delivery people find him.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Boo to EatinCake for spoiling what was looking to be a grinch-free year (aside from FedEx/USPS shenanigans)

EatinCake posted:

Vow: I promise to not be an rear end in a top hat grinch.

Vow failed!

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

MySawn, I've removed my email from the earlier post. Please PM me if you ever find out WTF happened to any PDFs.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Hypnobeard posted:

Hey, Spincut, did you get the second part of the de-Grinch? I swear you live in some back alley, because the carrier Amazon used didn't make the delivery on Friday for some reason.

It just arrived! I'll blame OnTrac for this one, they have a...reputation.

Anyway, holy crap, thank you!!

This game looks great, I might even be able to dig into it today. Thanks, Hypnobeard!

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I tried to PM Eatin but apparently he either has no PMs or his inbox is full/turned off. He posted on the 11th but nothing since then. :shrug:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
You're a shady dude, Eatin, scamming a holiday gift exchange meant to spread cheer and goodwill. To me it's less about the thirty buxx of unearned lucre you connived out of the exchange while leaving it to others fix your petty greed, and more about subverting the spirit of the thing and disappointing your santee.

You should feel really fukkin' bad. What a pathetic way to be.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ego Trip posted:

MySawn, I've removed my email from the earlier post. Please PM me if you ever find out WTF happened to any PDFs.

I haven't heard from him in seven days now. The last he said, a week ago, was:

quote:

I am currently wrangling them today, I expect an answer by later this afternoon or tomorrow :/

It sounds like DTRPG is being unresponsive, but I'm also not happy with MySwan's infrequency of communication.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
What is the longest TGSS has taken to wrap up? Feels like this one is going on for a long time. I'm all for working out issues but there is a point where you have to have some responsibility to go buy someone a thing and mail it to them. You get like 40 days to do it and now we're 25 days past that. Yeesh.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

There's seriously zero excuse in the era of one-click Amazon purchases.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Drone posted:

:agreed:

A thirty dollar TTG Secret Santa exchange should be the easiest, most trivial commitment in the world to keep in TYOOL 2015.

...unless you're a colossally unreliable flake or a such a lovely person you'll gently caress over someone else on Christmas to scam a fin and a half out of a gift exchange.

I guess I'm caremad about this because as a divorced guy who's college pals have all moved away and a sort of distant relationship with family, I signed up for this just so I'd have someone to exchange gifts with and spread a little cheer. It would have felt pretty lovely if I was the one who got grinched on one of only a couple gifts I'd expect to get. I'm glad it went well for me, but just super annoyed at the kind of person who fucks someone over on Chistmas for such a rinky-dink payout. Shame on Eatin. Shame.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Drone posted:

Yeah...I had a gift purchased and shipped something like 8 hours after Santee assignments went out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In years past, it has often taken until the end of January to wrap things up.

In MySwan's case, he had a very legit reason for suddenly going AWOL for a while. It's personal and I don't feel comfortable posting it without his permission, but I accept it. He came in and apologized and promised to get DTRPG to unfuck the problem, and that hasn't happened yet, but it's also clear based on what Ego Trip said before, that DTRPG hosed something up, so they share some of the blame. MySwan mailed some socks and bought some stuff on DTRPG and assumed he'd done his duty and was finished. He then checked out with real life problems, which I can understand.

EatinCake knew he was going out of town, committed himself to some kind of homemade gift or something, failed to mail it before he left, and now has failed to follow up after coming back on the 4th. He's not answering emails again, and never posted in the thread even though I told him he needed to apologize immediately. He received a gift, and didn't send a gift, and that's the sort of thing up with which we do not put, here in TGSS. Appropriate punitive measures are being taken.

With over a hundred gifts exchanged, that's a 1% outright grinch rate. We also had maybe a 3% lateness rate caused at least in part by third parties - vendors, postal carriers, etc. - and that's not too bad, either. About what we've had in previous years.

I have to walk a careful line. I have to balance the desire to come down like a ton of bricks on bad actors, vs. the very real and occasionally expressed fear that some goons have that they don't want to participate if it seems like too much of a risk. Being excessively heavy-handed suppresses participation. I don't want anyone to think that, if a problem happens that wasn't really their fault, they're going to be tarred and feathered as a result. I don't want people to think that they can't take time to put together a personalized package, perhaps including handmade gifts, because those tend to be the ones that Santees appreciate the most. We're a creative bunch, and I think there's a lot of value in encouraging creativity, even at the risk that once in a while someone underestimates the task they've given themselves and winds up in hot water.

Having done this for six years running now; the goons who wind up outright Grinching, and that's just a small handful, have tended to be the ones who post once with enthusiastic interest, kind of check out, and then never post again. They probably don't bookmark the thread and read its updates every day. They probably aren't good at following up in many other aspects of their lives. They probably had no mean intentions and weren't deliberately trying to screw anyone, and they probably feel pretty bad about what happened, but those badfeels weren't enough to kill their crippling procrastination issues and/or their inability to remember and follow up on an impulsive commitment.

We're averaging about one a year over a six-year timespan and I think that's a tolerable rate. Goons have always been willing to step up and de-grinch, as needed. My broad experience with TGSS has been awe at the level of generosity, goodwill, and joy that this project brings forth every year. I know a handful of people wind up disappointed, but multi-year participation rates are good, so I can see most goons are getting something positive out of the deal.

My survey results support this conclusion. Broadly, people are very happy with the project, think the rules are about right, and would do it again. There are a few suggestions, which are great. We will probably start closer to November 1st, next year. I will try to pare down and freshen the wall of text that is the OP, but goons mostly agree that the rules themselves are fine.

Here are some specific statistics from the survey:
Of 46 respondents:
  • 44 participated, and two were non-participants
  • 34 had participated in previous TGSSes
  • Only one goon wouldn't consider participating again, based on how things went this year. Three more were Maybes.
  • 25 goons were delighted with the gifts they received, and another 16 were satisfied or similar. Only one was disappointed with a gift they received.
  • A large majority of goons feel the $30 gift size is about right. Six felt it should be higher, and nobody thought it should be lower.
  • Most respondents felt the rules were about right. About five felt the rules were too long, and one respondent felt there weren't enough naked dudes in the rules. Another felt there should be more bacon, and a third felt they were insufficiently anti-dong.
  • There were only a handful of suggestions for new rules. These included an earlier deadline for shipping, a requirement for recipients to post photos of their gifts which include a pet, a requirement that digital gift senders mention the digitalness of their gifts in their "I sent something" posts, for better bookkeeping, and an opt-in for receiving internationally-sent gifts.
  • All respondents claimed I ran the show either "perfectly" or "extremely well." Thanks, guys. :)
  • The majority of respondents picked kick-off dates for 2016 between November 1st and November 7th, with only 8 picks lying outside that range, including at least three joke dates.

The suggestions, feedback, and things done differently questions elicited a number of ideas. Here are some that I thought were particularly useful or interesting:
  • "Perhaps a collection of recommendations/past experiences for US or UK based goons to use when buying for non-US or UK based goons, so that they can know in advance which ones are and aren't going to dick people around"
  • "your a little easy on some of the people who failed to get a gift in time for xmas."
  • "In light of the drama regarding delivery dates and the value of gifts, I think it would be a good point of policy to allow goons to submit scanned receipts when they post goods out. I don't think this should be mandatory, but it should be an option to let a goon preserve his e-honour."
  • "I would consider adding a recommended (and arbitrarily chosen) 'post no later by' date to keep people motivated to send on time. Some people seem to be convinced that post doesn't take longer than they think around Christmas. They also don't consider that their Santee might be going away from their stated delivery address (home or work) several days before December 24th. Which appears to have been an issue a few times this year."
  • "Unless you are going to personally track every package, there does not seem to be a lot more to be done from my perspective, unless you want to have a more detailed wish list from participants, but even that is a case of getting what you ask for."
  • "Maybe in the OP, link to places where people can easily make wishlists. Like CoolStuffInc or Miniatures Market. Likewise, links to places where those of us who are stateside can ship to other countries without having to pay through the nose. "
  • "Maybe demand tracking from folks who can provide it? That's the only suggestion I can think of."
  • "The OP in general is rather big and feels like it's been regurgitated for a few years by now. Could use a revision, and possibly use the second post."
  • "When sending the e-mail saying who their Santee is, maybe include a copy of what they posted in the thread? Might be work, but maybe using a google form could help automate it. (actually, using a google form in general might be helpful)"
  • Maybe do a High Stakes gift pot with a 50$ limit (could be a specific bonus round?) A lot of the good board games and mini items tend to be about that much and it would give people a chance to get some real wowie stuff.

I'd like to specially thank everyone who participated in the survey. If I didn't quote you, please be assured I did read your feedback and I take it seriously.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Leperflesh posted:

one respondent felt there weren't enough naked dudes in the rules

Make that two.

I would definitely be in favor of a slightly higher-stakes "bonus round" style pot, as I was one of the ones who voted for a (slightly!) higher minimum buy-in for TGSS. Then again it's also my first year, and don't get me wrong, I'm super satisfied with my gift!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Leperflesh posted:

• Maybe do a High Stakes gift pot with a 50$ limit (could be a specific bonus round?) A lot of the good board games and mini items tend to be about that much and it would give people a chance to get some real wowie stuff.

It seemed like a lot of people just ignored the limit.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Leperflesh posted:

a third felt they were insufficiently anti-dong.

Also, can we get this guy banned from future Secret Santas?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I think the semi-grinch I got last year was one of the longest we had, I received my stuff in March iirc. Ended up fine in the end though :)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Every year I think I about putting "go ahead and send me dongs if you want" in my post...and every year I chicken out because I'm certain that it'll be the one year someone calls my bluff.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

jivjov posted:

Every year I think I about putting "go ahead and send me dongs if you want" in my post...and every year I chicken out because I'm certain that it'll be the one year someone calls my bluff.

If you can't come up with a decent SFW dong-joke you're doing wrong.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Tekopo posted:

I think the semi-grinch I got last year was one of the longest we had, I received my stuff in March iirc. Ended up fine in the end though :)

And this year, you were the first to get stuff (I was your Santa btw).

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
I'd be fine with a higher round as well, I'm pretty sure I ended up going over on mine anyways.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

DigitalRaven posted:

I feel I should salute you for Battle Station Dongs. That was Artful and Cunning.

I considered suggesting a high-value bonus round too, but I decided not to because I felt it might make people in the lower bracket feel uncomfortable. I don't want future lightning bonus rounds etc to get broken up into Rich and Poor tiers (which is what they'd risk becoming, regardless of intent or labelling).

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

DigitalRaven posted:

If they made plastidip in sex toy purple you better loving believe I'd send someone an entire X-wing fleet coated in the stuff.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Yeah, given that most boxed games worth playing are in the $40-50 range and most of the cooler Ham/Warmachine models/model sets are at least $35, I think a higher cap might be a good idea, too. More than $50 feels at least to me like a kind of psychological barrier for Internet Stranger Gift Exchange Time though.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Otisburg posted:

Yeah, given that most boxed games worth playing are in the $40-50 range and most of the cooler Ham/Warmachine models/model sets are at least $35, I think a higher cap might be a good idea, too. More than $50 feels at least to me like a kind of psychological barrier for Internet Stranger Gift Exchange Time though.

There isn't a cap though, if you want to spend more then do it. The very first time I ever did a Secret Santa on the internet was with a video games forum and the recommended gift value was $50. I bought my Santee some board games and felt pretty good about that, my Santa however decided that stalking was :effort: and just sent me a brand new MacBook Air because he figured that everyone could probably use a new laptop, no matter what they were into.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Loxbourne posted:

I feel I should salute you for Battle Station Dongs. That was Artful and Cunning.

I considered suggesting a high-value bonus round too, but I decided not to because I felt it might make people in the lower bracket feel uncomfortable. I don't want future lightning bonus rounds etc to get broken up into Rich and Poor tiers (which is what they'd risk becoming, regardless of intent or labelling).

Yeah, I agree. I think the $30 baseline is fine where it is. I went over the limit when I found something really suitable and stuck closer to it when I found something that was equally good at that price. I was gifted multiple presents, one of which was shockingly above the suggested limit but all of them were equally appreciated. I think it's best to simply keep the established baseline and let Santa's opt to go over it if they wish, but breaking things into lower and higher cost tiers sounds like it'd be placing more emphasis on the monetary end of things in a way which could wind up becoming unfun and uncomfortable, especially around a time of the year that's already renowned for stressing folks out about finances.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Tekopo posted:

I think your Santa was my Santee, and I never really got confirmation he received his stuff; that was NovaLion right, who was snap deployed somewhere with no internet for 3 months in the middle of December? Armies everywhere are good at screwing people around.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That was 2013. He made amends last year, by making a public apology and a donation to charity. There were no grinches last year, although as usual there were a small number of shipments that arrived a little late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ah right. I will say though, I did like the shipping - for some reason I don't understand, Australia Post offers free shipping to any American MPO around the world, in this case a sizable box to Japan for nothing.

Apparently it enters the US Military Postal System at a sorting office in Australia, and the US Military picks up the domestic post tab to get things there.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 20, 2016

• Locked thread