Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
So many people failing anime class here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
Catching up on episode 6 of this show, and a fundamental problem these harem animes seem to have is they produce some great female characters who are clearly desperate for love and then don't make male characters to compliment them, which is going to lead to massive downers and disappointment.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Clarste posted:

"wow, he's so cool and handsome and sexy and I'm so glad he's my boyfriend!"
lol

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Pavlov posted:

That's how high-schoolers do relationships.
im kind of shocked this needed to be said. that other poster is shocked that the MC is dating someone because she thinks he's sexy and cool? uh

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm not saying it's unrealistic or anything, I just thought their rapport was kind of boring because of that. Redhead spends all her time alternating between fantasizing about his hot bod or panicking over the idea of other people fantasizing over his hot bod and it's not that interesting.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
These are exactly the kind of silly popcorn poo poo I zone out too.

Gotta say I was impressed Chivalry actually had the MC get into a relationship. Scanning the original LN, it looks like they changed up the order of events a bit though (and probably for the better, originally the dude didn't take everyone of his students to the pool).

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

Clarste posted:

I'm not saying it's unrealistic or anything, I just thought their rapport was kind of boring because of that. Redhead spends all her time alternating between fantasizing about his hot bod or panicking over the idea of other people fantasizing over his hot bod and it's not that interesting.

Yes, the main characters not being high-schoolers would improve most animes.

The MC having a personality would also have helped.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

fag

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

No, Alice is transgender Davi please respect them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Um, I am 30 years old and would date someone just because I think they're sexy and cool (barring any crippling personality defects), so I don't think thats just a high school thing.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Ytlaya posted:

Um, I am 30 years old and would date someone just because I think they're sexy and cool (barring any crippling personality defects), so I don't think thats just a high school thing.
I'd date someone for being sexy and cool, and accept their crippling personality defects as who they are.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Adults have relationships for a lot of (sometimes dumb) reasons. For high-schoolers it's pretty much just the one.

I look forward to your future posts in E/N twiddy.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pavlov posted:

Adults have relationships for a lot of (sometimes dumb) reasons. For high-schoolers it's pretty much just the one.

I look forward to your future posts in E/N twiddy.

Unless it's anywhere near the train-wreck that Slow Motion's thread is, not interested.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh, the ending song is by Maaya Sakamoto, no wonder it's good.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I am highly unable to distinguish these two shows but I like the catgirl scientist in one of them.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

There's got to be a story behind how similar these are. Even japan can't be this homogenous.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

My theory is that the two writers are friends and made a crazy bet.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I kinda want a crossover between these shows just to see the characters react to their counterparts.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Neo_Crimson posted:

I kinda want a crossover between these shows just to see the characters react to their counterparts.

So you basically want a Gintama / Sket Dance crossover with the downside being that there's not going to be any filthy humor.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Pavlov posted:

There's got to be a story behind how similar these are. Even japan can't be this homogenous.

The term "database culture" sometimes pops up but bringing it up always leads to "well [your culture] is like that too!" arguments.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

mycot posted:

"database culture"

what

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Fancy way of saying that people like comfortable cliches more than complicated character development.

IsolatedIncident
Oct 24, 2010

Pavlov posted:

For both anime coming out at the same time at least, I figured it was some kind of weird anime studio arms race. Two different companies had the rights to the two LNs and neither one wanted to be the one coming out a season later. They probably didn't want their show dismissed outright as "a blatant rip-off of XXX last season." Silver Link has 2 other shows they're doing this season, so I'm wondering if they pushed production of Rakudai when they heard Asterisk was being done.

So instead we have this weird quantum flux thing where I'm watching the same show twice (3 times if you count the other one this season) and remembering it differently each time.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
I think I like Asterisk more, I find the characters less annoying. Also any show that has magic anime racism (main guys whole being discriminated against by his family for not having awesome magic powers) is automatically kinda dumb. Failed Knight's only saving grace is that the two main characters actually acknowledge that they both like each other and are in an actual relationship instead of the usual girl hitting the main guy instead of telling him that she likes him.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Asterisk has better story but failed knight has better combat so far.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

Asterisk has better story

"My awesome amazing superpowers had to be sealed by my sister for being too awesome. I'm not going to look for her or try to fix it though I'm sure it will work itself out."

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
magic anime racism combined with incest sister is automatically more stupid then my powers had to be sealed cause they are too awesome.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I don't think this word means what you think it does

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
Magic anime racism is the term we use for shows that have stupid discrimination against a character for "reasons". Failed Knight fails again cause said discrimination is magically hand waved away after he shows how good he is at fighting.

Remember he's suppose to be F-rank, and people poked fun at him for a long time for that. Even Princess A-rank assumed he sucked until he kicked her rear end.

The only show I can think of off the bat that did the dumb discrimination thing in an even more stupid way was from a few seasons ago, The Irregular at Magic High School. Though then again nothing could be as awful as that show. *fingers crossed*

Myurton fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 11, 2015

IsolatedIncident
Oct 24, 2010

Myurton posted:

magic anime racism (discriminated against by his family

Yeah, I don't think they call it racism when your family does it to you. I think I get what you're saying though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so from this thread i get that there is one really good show and one really bad show, but they got melted together into equally mediocre messes.

IsolatedIncident
Oct 24, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

so from this thread i get that there is one really good show and one really bad show, but they got melted together into equally mediocre messes.

Honestly half the fun of watching these shows is remembering a detail or scene and honestly having no idea which one it came from.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

"These racists are so racist at him for being bad at fighting."

"Why did the racists stop hating him now that he's good at fighting?!?"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Pavlov posted:

"These racists are so racist at him for being bad at fighting."

"Why did the racists stop hating him now that he's good at fighting?!?"

because he is no longer black, obviously

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

IsolatedIncident posted:

Honestly half the fun of watching these shows is remembering a detail or scene and honestly having no idea which one it came from.

I really had to think whether I was mocking the correct anime's plot.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Myurton posted:

Magic anime racism is the term we use for shows that have stupid discrimination against a character for "reasons". Failed Knight fails again cause said discrimination is magically hand waved away after he shows how good he is at fighting.

Remember he's suppose to be F-rank, and people poked fun at him for a long time for that. Even Princess A-rank assumed he sucked until he kicked her rear end.

The only show I can think of off the bat that did the dumb discrimination thing in an even more stupid way was from a few seasons ago, The Irregular at Magic High School. Though then again nothing could be as awful as that show. *fingers crossed*

I feel like calling it racism is a big misnomer. The set up has more to do with adolescent fantasy fulfillment. Teens feel all akward and crap with a lot of insecurities and confidence issues. That feeling that your school is against you, your parents are against you, and you're nothing special; oh but wait, I'm actually super awesome and can totally bag the hottest, smartest chick in school if I showed off how awesome I am.

That's the reason for the setup and if you think it looks stupidly racist and nonsensical than you are probably a well adjusted adult instead of an ignorant hormone driven teenager.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Trihugger posted:

I feel like calling it racism is a big misnomer. The set up has more to do with adolescent fantasy fulfillment. Teens feel all akward and crap with a lot of insecurities and confidence issues. That feeling that your school is against you, your parents are against you, and you're nothing special; oh but wait, I'm actually super awesome and can totally bag the hottest, smartest chick in school if I showed off how awesome I am.

That's the reason for the setup and if you think it looks stupidly racist and nonsensical than you are probably a well adjusted adult instead of an ignorant hormone driven teenager.

mahouka quickly ditched the flimsy pseudo-racist magic elitism for regular racism against the chinese. so, even though this largely nonsensical plot device isn't racism i still associate it with racism because i am a broken person and i cant get mahouka out of my head.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
Pfft both are obviously just copying Blade Dance of the Elementalers [No that is not a misspelling]

It is just Fire Magic based Tsundere all the way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
All I can really say about Asterisk so far is that it's just sort of dumb, and not even in the hilariously teenage fantasy way Failed Knight is.

"I HAVE FOUND MY PURPOSE IN LIFE"

"IT IS TO PROTECT THIS GIRL I MET LIKE, TWO DAYS AGO. MAYBE THREE."

Myurton posted:

Unless you're royalty I don't think you can use the word "we" when you mean "I".

EDIT: I will say that Asterisk's character design feels like a funhouse mirror version of Infinite Stratos, which makes it kind of funny to watch.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Nov 11, 2015

• Locked thread