Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

putting his father though a rather embarrassing phone call from HRH Vermillion.

And let's hear it for the Land of Vermilion: where every day is All Day Kissing Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Hey, pink hair explicitly said it's a house whatever-her-house-is rule to make out like, 30 times a day. Her dad was probably just insulted that they weren't respecting her culture.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Finally got around to watching the last two episodes, and once again they were a lot better executed than the original LN. I remember thinking the Ikki basically getting tortured scenes were kind of tedious to read since he pretty much just sat there and took it, but the anime changes it so that Ikki tries to handle it himself and approach his father. The fact that this cuts out the dumb "dad walks in just as Ikki is practicing asking the king of Vermillion for Stella's hand in marriage and assumes he's talking about Shizuka" joke is a bonus.

Ikki's relationship with his dad also felt like it was changed up a little, since the final phonecall between dads was added by the anime. Originally it seemed like his dad was a complete rear end in a top hat who literally didn't give a poo poo at all, but that scene softens him up somewhat and made it seem like he really did care, but was just a complete rear end in a top hat and unwilling to show it.

The final episode also rearranges the order of events: originally Ikki had his big moment with Stella in private, and Stella swatted away the fatass afterwards. Needless to say the anime's version was a distinct improvement. It kind of makes getting a second season harder though, because I think Ikki and Stella's relationship was supposed to remain as just at the level of lovers to the public at large so more dumb romcom aspects could be thrown in. The fact they also cut out the stinger with Alice makes me think that they wanted episode 12 to just straight up be the ending... which is a good choice, because it's a great ending point. Ikki went from the worst in the school to the best, Shizuka gave up on her dumb plan, and most importantly Stella got the guy.

All-in-all it was a surprisingly great adaption of what was really mediocre at best material. It was a fun show to tune in and turn my brain off for.

I should probably watch Asterisk now but eh. Eeeeeh.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 23, 2015

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

BlitzBlast posted:

I should probably watch Asterisk now but eh. Eeeeeh.

No don't do that.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo Stella is a loving stand-up lady! :allears:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Wark Say posted:

Holy poo poo Stella is a loving stand-up lady! :allears:

Stella owns.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i hope the staff behind chivalry do another action show

i don't particularly care if it's related to chivalry itself or not

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I watched ep 12 of Asterisk, and it was quite bad, at least for a season ender episode. It looks like they have more planned? But that was just a lovely way to end.

But Rakudai Kishi had a pretty good end.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Yeah, there's another season scheduled for spring I think and while I'd love to say I'm not going to watch it I probably will

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm definitely not bothering with Asterisk once it picks back up. Since this one will presumably hit the archives by then, if anyone actually cares they can make a shiny new one. :)

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Finally saw the last of Failed Knight, better than I expected.

No backouts just exploding out all your blood into one attack for the win.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Final thoughts: Chivalry has some good points, but it is still not even close to good overall. Asterisk has no good points.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
What was up with all the black and white-except-some-color-randomly in the last two episodes? If it's some sort of symbolism it fell right on its face.

The StuCo President was pretty cool though, hope we get to see more of her if there's a second season.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Neo_Crimson posted:

What was up with all the black and white-except-some-color-randomly in the last two episodes? If it's some sort of symbolism it fell right on its face.

The StuCo President was pretty cool though, hope we get to see more of her if there's a second season.

Emulating the titles and to look cool i guess. I liked it in the last episode, but thought it was too much in the previous one.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

It was just meant to make things look surreal and somewhat otherworldly. Also, there wasn't any proper fight in the penultimate episode, and looking pretty is basically the only selling point of the show, so they had to do something stylistic.

In the last episode it's just emulating the OP

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Asterisk S2 is starting off alright, kinda, I guess.

Fight to start was pretty good, but they started with Ayato in "recovery" mode and with no "When we left you last time, our heroes had just..."

Also, only one line from Saya.

But the battle was good, and the strategy that they came up with to counter Ayato being in recovery-mode was excellent on multiple levels.

And the new villains we're meeting next episode promise to be very entertaining.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I was very confused because I forgot what a Murray Curry was and who the Glued Hen Rose was, but it clicked after a few minutes. It's still an alright and watchable show, but it's not good by any means.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I hope Chivalry doesn't get a second season too, because the anime changed the finale of the third volume up enough that it works perfectly fine as a real ending.

And let me tell you, having glanced through the volumes beyond, it gets pretty :geno:.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

There have been two more episodes of this.

Neither of them particularly did anything interesting. Or even entertaining. I miss Chivalry. :sigh:

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Chivalry ended at an appropriate point, and I feel that continuing it (wherever the LNs go) would be a pretty big waste. I'm content with it as a self-contained story.

Asterisk could theoretically still get out of mediocre territoahahahahha what am I saying, it's never going to not be mediocre at best.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Should we turn this into the general Battle Academy thread and talk about Hundred?

Because boy oh boy Hundred is stupid.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hundred is real stupid but i'm not sure which of these shows is stupider

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i thought the sickly little sister character on hundred was the stupidest character until asterisk introduced the the cat-eared orphan maid

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I am not sure how you can possibly beat "YO I'M TOTALLY A GUY" for the stupidity award.

It's like if Charlotte got even dumber.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
Oh snap, do I have more lovely science/magic high school shows to watch?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You must suffer through Infinite Stratos first.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BlitzBlast posted:

How can you say that? I would rather have a German Shepherd bite me really hard in one of my ankles.

Asterisk is dumb and boring. Chivalry was dumb AND fun (except for the dumb little sister). Infinite Stratos was dumb, boring and the main character was incredibly infuriating. Like, worse than the Nisekoi guy (how appropriate that they're both voiced by the same guy).

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

BlitzBlast posted:

I've done that already. :smuggo: It was so bad Jesus Christ.

So Hundred and Charlotte go on this same premise, basically?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Wark Say posted:

How can you say that? I would rather have a German Shepherd bite me really hard in one of my ankles.

Asterisk is dumb and boring. Chivalry was dumb AND fun (except for the dumb little sister). Infinite Stratos was dumb, boring and the main character was incredibly infuriating. Like, worse than the Nisekoi guy (how appropriate that they're both voiced by the same guy).

But was it worse than Kampfer?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Zwingley posted:

So Hundred and Charlotte go on this same premise, basically?

Hundred is basically "what if Charlotte was the main girl?"

More specifically, S2 Charlotte.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

BlitzBlast posted:

Hundred is basically "what if Charlotte was the main girl?"

More specifically, S2 Charlotte.

Sounds like a thing.

I'll play ball. :v:

e: yeah okay I read the description for the first episode of Hundred and it sounds like it belongs here. :cripes:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Sandman posted:

But was it worse than Kampfer?

I sacrificed seven bald eagles and one girl who went by the name "Lizzie Bathory" on her facebook profile just so I could forget about Kampfer. Now let us never speak of it again. :colbert:

I think that, aside from the music, Mahouka is still the worst show I've seen made in the Raildex mold.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Wark Say posted:

I think that, aside from the music, Mahouka is still the worst show I've seen made in the Raildex mold.

The problem that all of these LN shows have is that they ignore the interesting bits in favor of the plot and the "plot". Give me the world-building, give me the magic systems, give me the backstabbing and politics and behind-the-scenes strategic fuckery that allows the plot to unfurl.

Mahouka is a pretty good example of this- obviously, there's some interesting family politicking going on involving the main character, the Japanese government, his manufacturing firm, and his family. Alas, they just forced their way through (judging from book names on the LN site) 7 volumes in 24 episodes, and all-but-ignored the backend stuff until "I'm coming for you some day auntie" in the last 5 minutes of the show.

Noucome, Inou Battle, Infinite Stratos and a whole host of others share the same problem.

Somehow, Index managed to find a good balance in its anime adaptation, but it's rare.

Fake edit: Allow me to call Maken-Ki the dumbest high school battle anime, and assert that Hundred is much dumber than Asterisk.

Up until the upcoming episode, in which (speculation predicated on spoilers from most recent episode): Amagiri will kiss Yulis and that will somehow break all of his seals and allow him to win the fight against the evil Chinese twins at which point it will be a tie until Hundred lowers the bar again.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The rest of them are just dumb and boring. Mahouka is dumb, boring and incredibly racist.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Serious Frolicking posted:

The rest of them are just dumb and boring. Mahouka is dumb, boring and incredibly racist.

I mean, at least you can describe it in a way that differentiates it from every other show in the genre?

But it was pretty bad, yeah.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

another one is the irregular at magic high school which is also very stupid plus fasch

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Super No Vacancy posted:

another one is the irregular at magic high school which is also very stupid plus fasch

(That's Mahouka, the one we've been discussing).

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oh ok happy to be in agreement then

I only seen three eps of the magical index one but it seemed the only defensible one

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I will always love mahouka for the extended speech in one of the first few episodes that rich people are rich because they have more valuable skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i thought it was because they spent a lot of time going to fancy schools or something. it was crazy

• Locked thread