Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I think arbitration has its place in certain religious situations. If a member of a church or mosque has a minor dispute with another member and that can be solved to the satisfaction of both parties, ok then. But something like the case in the OP, or a case I recall in Texas (I think) where a woman was told by a religious arbitrator from her church that she had to stay in an abusive relationship, that's definitely not ok. In the context of certain churches arbitration is sometimes used to defend spousal abusers and child molesters. I'm not a lawyer (obviously) but it seems to me that any situation involving a death. physical harm, or money over a certain amount should by default be handled by the court system and not a arbitratior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

RaySmuckles posted:

Seems to me like we have a justice system for a reason and forced arbitration should be illegal. "But then all arbitration would be illegal!" Yeah. So? :colbert:

Remember, most of the issues with the justice system come from being underfunded. Not enough attorneys and judges on staff to hear cases. If we just funded the loving thing, like most of our floundering civil institutions, it'd work better.

Oh, no doubt. Forced arbitration is ghastly and should be 100% illegal. I can't imagine any reason why a private company would need it besides wanting to screw people over. I was just talking about optional arbitration in minor, religious situations.

• Locked thread