Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sucrose posted:

How is this not a blatant violation of separation of church and state?

The Deadstate article appears to be incorrect.

The NYT article they are basing it on stated that it was Ellison's family and friends that recommended they send him to Teen Challenges instead of prison.

The state only agreed to suspend the proceedings pending completion of the program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Beaters posted:

I wonder the same thing. If I were the kid's father, I'd be all up for suing those bastards for everything they're worth. Of course if that didn't work out I might resort to good old fashioned all-American violence. Seriously, gently caress those bastards.

They did, and the court forced them to enter into arbitration because under Florida law, they could only bring the suit as the executors of his estate, and were bound into the contract he agreed to.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

spoon0042 posted:

If "jail time" is the only secular alternative, then yeah it kind of is.

the family negotiated a deal with the prosecutor's office to avoid jail time because of a probation violation

they were the ones who told the office about teen challenges, based off a family friends recommendation

NYT posted:

Religion has long been at the center of Pamela Spivey’s life. She taught Sunday school, went to Bible-study camps and watched preachers on television.

So when her friends at the Park West Church in Knoxville, Tenn., suggested that she send her son Nick to Teen Challenge, she didn’t ask many questions. “When you think Christian, you automatically think good,” said Ms. Spivey, who goes by the name Cheri.

It certainly seemed better than the alternative. After breaking his probation sentence for drunken driving and crashing into four parked cars, Mr. Ellison faced a year in jail.

As an alternative, the prosecutor in the case agreed to Mr. Ellison’s enrolling in Teen Challenge, a program that teaches participants to overcome addiction by studying the Bible and becoming more “Christ-like.”

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 12, 2015

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
http://opinions.1dca.org/written/opinions2013/10-11-2013/12-4377.pdf

the appellate court's opinion

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VitalSigns posted:

I don't think there should be this weird lawless zone where you get to tell people that you're treating their medical and psychological problems and get their trust and obedience, but you don't have to follow any standards and you get to say "no it's just bible camp lol" when your quack treatments harm them.

That's not what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VitalSigns posted:

Right that's why Florida should shut down bible camps that tell kids to pray the gay away, then there can be criminal consequences for doing it and it won't matter that their marketing tricked a layperson into agreeing to forfeit her right to seek redress in the courts and let some fundy kangaroo court make the decisions about liability.

The arbitration agreement was three paragraphs on a single page.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/11/02/business/dealbook/document-nick-ellisons-agreement-with-teen-challenge.html

It also wasn't the mother's right to sign away, the deceased was an adult.

It wasn't like Uber where it was hidden or added in after the employment contracts were done up.

• Locked thread