Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yeah, but if you say that police bigotry against furries is a problem because furries are one hundred times more likely to be arrested than non-furries, I don't think I should have to state that I agree with you before pointing out that it isn't true. That's just a lazy cop-out to insist that people agree with your premise before they're allowed to question your facts.

If you disagree with the premise, argue against the premise instead of engaging in propaganda bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Dead Reckoning posted:

Your premise should follow from the facts. Rational people don't decide on a conclusion and then go looking for facts that support it. Nor do they believe that a conclusion should still stand if the supporting assertions are disproved.
One, it hasn't been shown that Teen Challenge attempted any sort of gay conversion. Apparently some staff members told Nicklaus that being gay was sinful and wrong. There is a substantial difference.

Did they never teach you the scientific method in school, dipshit? Hypothesis comes before experiment.

In addition, I don't believe you understand the actual premise here, and are operating on the assumption everyone should be a legalistic wretch of some kind.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

twodot posted:

Why is this a problem? We have two posters:
Poster A: Racism is a big issue because 2+2=7
Poster B: 2+2=4, further even if 2+2=7, that would be poor evidence that racism is a big issue

Why is it more important that B preface their statement with "I agree that racism is a big issue" which is a kindergarten level thing to say and unrelated to their actual point than for A just to not make a lovely point? Would you prefer that people not point out mistakes? The issue with creating distractions isn't pointing out mistakes, it's when people incorrectly defend mistakes. This is pretty insane to me.

Well, twodot, it's a tactic designed to be unproductive, because the guy using it in this thread immediately admitted that, actually, he disagrees with the premises. So it's all about avoiding real engagement in actual practice. So it's, in turn, an example of dishonest behavior, because it's about attacking without engaging. Thus, people who want to be honest should avoid using it.

Maoist Pussy posted:

What things do we need to keep in mind about how pounding men in the butt is different today than in the age of Paul?

Like, this guy here, unwilling to actually upfront say that he believes Christianity is inherently gay-hatin', only insinuating such.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

twodot posted:

Oh weird, you made a post that isn't full of garbage. How can a post that is correcting what all sides agree is a mistake be considered unproductive? Surely ridding a thread of inaccuracy is productive behavior? If someone sincerely believes someone made a mistake, how can correcting it be considered dishonest? I don't understand why avoiding "real engagement" is considered a problem, in fact, Ytlaya seems to believe that it's fine to avoid real engagement so long as you put magic words in front your lack of engagement declaring which tribe you belong to. Here's an example:

This person doesn't know how DEFCON works, but I don't give a poo poo nor know anything about how CNN operates. Why shouldn't I just post "That's not how DEFCON works" without actually engaging with what is clearly their point?

This person isn't correcting a mistake, and isn't relevant to the discussion.

Okay. I see that you're using "tribe" here, and also being a snotty lil prick. Put together, these suggest, that is to say, they create the implication, that you believe yourself to be rational, as opposed to the loony libz. This in turn actually degrades the conversation, because only obsessive psychopaths will continue for long when a smarmy dickhead is demanding that they (metaphorically) eat poo poo with every post and most people will back down at the first sign of this happening.

So, while it is possible for someone to genuinely correct inaccuracies out of a neutral perspective, it's far more common to see someone doing it who is giving off signs they wish to argue from a safe distance, generally, it seems, because they have a particular kind of brain damage, like yourself. As a consequence, even though you may just possibly be sincere about your desire to only tread the upward path and merely ensure accuracy, you lack the communication skills to make that happen and so you will either have to deal with it or run crying to the mods demanding that nobody be allowed to make these kinds of accusations.

Since you can't understand a very basic generalization, or else are deliberately avoiding the topic, you're either too stupid or malevolent to do the former. So I look forward to the continual whine as people freely engage in propaganda tactics and bald dishonesty, and all who point this out are relentlessly probated, and so on and so forth.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

twodot posted:

I thought implying that your posts are typically full of garbage would be the thing that would tip you off that I think you're an idiot.

I realize that people can and do post in bad faith, but what I'm saying is that correcting someone's mistake fundamentally shouldn't be considered to be in bad faith. Attempting to correct someone who is right, correcting mistakes that were never made, accusing people of believing things they don't, deliberately misinterpreting people are all examples of bad things that people shouldn't do, but if you say "I'll tell you who's got a loving war-boner, it's CNN. Their site has been at defcon 5 since the attacks." and I say "DEFCON 5 is in fact the lowest readiness level", you can't make judgements on my stance of CNN's war-boner, nor should I be required to express a stance on CNN's war-boner to comment on how DEFCON works.

I'm fine with people making whatever accusations they want, what I'm saying is if you make a basic factual error, and then complain about being corrected, you look like someone who doesn't care about actual reality, so that's a bad thing to complain about.

I also don't understand your standard here, you've switched from talking about being/appearing honest to what looks like pragmatism, but it's weird, because you seem to be talking about me personally, when I'm talking about whether technicalities as a concept make any sense in this context. Like feel free to argue that I'm personally ineffective at correcting people's mistakes, that doesn't have any bearing on whether complaining about technicalities is in general reasonable.

I straight up can't parse this. Like this isn't me going "haha you're dumb", I literally don't understand what this is trying to say.

Well, okay, you've managed to successfully convince me you're a loving idiot, rather than malevolent. It seems you can learn.

Your post basically misses the entire point and skims along for a good fifty feet. The point, here, is that the complaint is about how most of the "just making corrections" posts connote dishonest argumentation. Indeed, people actually admit to this connotation being an accurate one! So if you want to avoid those associations, you need to formulate your correction in such a way as to avoid this connotation. People do this all the time.

A good place to start would be to avoid calling people crazy, as a general rule, when you're making those corrections. I know this will be a burden for such supremely rational and saintly people who face these unjust accusations, but you'll just have to lump it.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

twodot posted:

I'm missing your point because your point is not related to mine, so feel free to stop quoting me. Free standing factual corrections should not be considered bad faith actions, because that is ridiculous. Pragmatically, maybe that belief is in the minority and if I personally want people to like me I should take that into account, but that's not an argument for considering factual corrections bad faith actions.

I'm totally fine with people thinking calling people crazy is evidence of some sort about that person's beliefs

Okay. So. Dead Reckoning admitted, right in this thread, to following the exact process that people are accused of engaging in. So, in fact, people do make *in nasally voice* "bad faith actions" under the guise of corrections. That is an indisputable fact. It's also true that not everyone faces those accusations. I am arguing that this is because people primarily use connotations in the post itself to conclude whether the post is in bad faith.

Your argument is that we should give people free reign to argue in bad faith. You use words like "pragmatic" to disguise this fundamentally idiotic position, probably because you are an idiot.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

twodot posted:

Someone can claim to be making a factual correction in bad faith, but that doesn't make it true. Correcting a false statement simply can't be dishonest (I suppose excepting a person who was attempting to be dishonest, but accidently made a true correction). You can argue in bad faith and also offer factual corrections, but the factual corrections themselves can only be right or wrong. That's the whole point of disconnecting them from broader points.

There's a variety of actions I'm opposed to that aren't factual corrections, so no, I'm not trying offer people free reign to argue in bad faith. I'm saying people should have free reign to correct mistaken facts. I have no clue why people would be opposed to factual corrections, except that they anticipate making a bunch of factual errors, and don't want to be inconvenienced by reality.

Well, buddy, if you're going to argue that we should view things without any context and always treat things in isolation, you can go ahead and claim victory here. Just make sure to explain how you did it.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

tsa posted:

Except counseling is something that can be legally done with no or next to no credentials. Besides that, chiropractors exist and many of them even pretend to be doctors. If someone is just giving off advice and make no pretenses about being medically trained to do so ( in this case calling themselves a LPC or LPC-I) the complaint seems utterly vacuous.

In the case in the OP we don't even know how much the kid was actually even "harassed", it could have been a one off thing from an employee for all we know.

e: oh and psychologists aren't doctors, you are thinking of psychiatry.

This is just a big is-ought fallacy. If we are not married to the status quo, we can put forth the argument that professional standards ought to exist for psychological counseling and that chiropractic practitioners should be required to disassociate themselves from the aura of medicine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Main Paineframe posted:

Giving medical advice isn't considered "practicing medicine" unless the person doing it claims to be an actual doctor. That's why SA can have an entire forum dedicated to amateur medical advice, why WebMD and countless amateur medical forums exists, and why saying "suck it up and take some Tylenol" isn't an arrestable offense.

Sure, but there's a big difference between "this is illegal" and "that should be illegal", and it's really annoying when someone says the former, people correct them, and then someone else (or sometimes the same person) comes in and accuses them of being unimaginative fallacy-users who just refuse to entertain the possibility of change. It's also really annoying when someone says "that should be illegal", and when faced with the actual practical difficulties of illegalizing it, accuses people of just being too attached to the status quo.

Well, that didn't happen in this thread. Parallel Paraplegic argued on the grounds of "should/ought", tsa responded in terms of confusing "is" and "ought", and you decided to make some backhanded, whiny accusations.

• Locked thread